Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excellent

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excell

Post by rcmatt007 »

I agree apples and oranges. Redwoods 96CI 6 speed gets better mpg than my 88 5 speed
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

One thing with injection back in the 80's was getting it to work right all the time. Kawasaki tried it on a KZ1000 in 1980 I think it was. Very few of those still have the injection on them. The "brain" goes away and they run horribly. I've done carb conversions on a couple of them. Honda does have a much better track record with theirs. That model was also a Limited Edition. So that had a little to do with it being a basically one time thing. Computers have come a long way since then.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
zipster
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by zipster »

Wondering what kind of gas mileage you're getting with that Carter setup.
~Don't skin yer knuckles whatever you do.

1977 GL1000
1986 BMW K100RS flying brick
1975 Yamaha RD350
1978 Vespa P200e
1979 Lambretta Jet200
1986 Honda Helix
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

gas mileage claims are good, if not great, or very comparable

way early tho and just based on a handful of reports
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Alabaster
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Alabaster »

UPDATE: Just fired up my GL1000 for the first time since I put the single carb on it. Very easy and needed only an adjustment of the throttle screw before it was purring away on it's own. Any advice on how to set up the throttle would be appreciated. I'm going to try the Empi uni link kit but need to fab up a mounting bracket to hold the throttle cable. A template or pic of what someone else is using would be great.
Jim Bounds
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jim Bounds »

I used what looks like the same VW bus 2bbl. intake, made an adapter and put a 32p Solex 1 bbl. on top. Hails butt faster than I wanna go! Have run the set up for over 10 years on my last GL1000, this newer bike (another 75) likes the set up even better. Went through 2 racks of original carbs, always seemed to be the problem with the bike. Put this set up on and man, my problems are all gone!

I don't do enough of this to compare but I will say I have no carb problems, now I can worry bout the rest of it...
Jim Bounds
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jim Bounds »

To answer the throttle link question, I used the pull side of the original linkage, let the other side hang. Bent a radio backbrace strap 90 deg., bolted it down by the FL carb bolt and set the sdjuster of the original throttle cable through a slot in the backbrace. Works great. Wish I would take the time to connect the manual choke cable up but the electric choke works so well I can't justify the time to do it.

My guess is the other wingers here may look down on this mod, I have to say man it works and you have less hassles with it so why not. I'm a rider, not a polisher. I want to drive the wheels off my machines, chrome is nice but I'm not buying any, my old GL1000 was "rat biked" because mainly in that it was in that bad of shape. Lets see if I can keep this better one up. The Solex carb will help me keep it on the road.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Jim Bounds wrote:snip..................
My guess is the other wingers here may look down on this mod,
This has been stated by others before. I don't really know why though. We have special section just for unique carburetion. Those that have been here awhile and truly like these bikes hove no problem with mods. Look at my avatar for proof. Some of us do prefer the stock carbs. They can wonderful carb without that much hassle. But we don't discriminate against others wanting to go a different route. Not sure with only 7 posts to this forum you've looked around enough to be able to make that statement. IMO
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I agree with Robin. I have no problem with the single carb systems. Or the people who use them. But I do take issue with those who can't figure out the stock carbs, so claim they are no good. I've read a lot about single carbs, even worked on a few. With 20+ years dealing with the ones that Honda thought were pretty good, I just prefer the stock setup
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

The biggest problem with the standard set-up is lack of maintenance. That does not mean just the carbs. Dirty fuel tanks, old fuel lines, fuel and air filters that don't, etc.
Plus modern fuels require you to drain the float bowls whenever you have the bike sitting for some time.
But even at that, if you saw some of the carbs that I get in for rebuild (Like the set I've got on the bench right now!) you would throw up your hands in horror but I assure you, with a proper cleaning and rebuild this set will perform as Honda intended.
I'll be posting pictures shortly of an LTD set that you really would have though were beyond saving. But with a little lateral thinking, this set also will be decent if not perfect.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Jim Bounds
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jim Bounds »

Yes, I felt sorta defeated with my carbs and you hit it right on the head-- it's maintenance and use. I let my bike sit and sit, no wonder it would run terrible when I finally looked at it. I do think the original set up probably is right on but I think for the way I took care of my bike (I'm not too proud to say this) I needed something simpler. In no way would I say there is an engineering error on the original set up, I just had so much trouble compared to the rest of the bike that I needed to do something.

I don't ride fast anymore, done that-- have the scars to prove it. My number has to be up so I puttttt. My goal is to pass 1 car when I take a trip. The 1bbl. Solex is quicker than I care to go and it fires and idles every time-- that is as long as the spade terminal on the idle solenoid doesn;t fall off! That happened to me today.

Back some years ago, I came up on one of the Goldwing forums and found there was some push back for people going the single carb way. I dropped off there, I mean you don;t stay where you are not welcome. I'm happy you guys are OK with it, there are no bike shops nearby, I do all my work. I had a set of "bump sticks" for my Triumph Trumpet but they went with it. I have 2 gauges for my CJ and found it easy to balance out.

Anyway, thanks for the input, count me in as a single sucker...
Jim Bounds
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Jim Bounds »

BTW, you are right, I have not been on this forum enough to say that. It's wy I started the post out as I did. Please excuse my enthusiasm. It's true though in the past there were issues with doing it. I try and build the vintage RV's with "countermeasures", "backups" for when things to go wrong and try to never put someone in harms way but installing anything that could give them troubles on the road. Knowing as little as I do about the 4 carb setup I think still I can say that the 1 bbl. carb has to be easier to maintain and that's for me.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Your most certainly welcome here. We all live in our own comfort zone. And there are a number of single carb folks here who can converse with you in your comfort zone. And we all love pictures and updates
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

CYBORG wrote:...snip... we all love pictures and updates
I'm a visual learner and I always want to know how the story ends!

HoganJr
1991 GL1500
ianstaley
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ianstaley »

Going to throw a spanner in to the works; what about 2 Amal's? or even SU's or Strombergs. Easy to find and service probably 100's of differing needles lots of sizes EG Bently Blower, 2.5 Litres with a Roots supercharger all going through 2 x 2.5 inch SU's if will work well with that should work with ours too. I already have my Webber and VW manifold so right now wouldn't consider a swap. But the SU's and Stoms could make the change even easier.