Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excellent

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

'WingRunner
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excell

Post by 'WingRunner »

Re: Westgl's carb conversion
What, if I may ask, is the dimensions, on the Silicone Tubing used in your build? (i.d-o.d)
And, are the materials available here in our Rogue Valley, or is this a "take a chance at mail order" kinda thing?
Thanks in advance...
Gary---- WingRunner

Medford Or.
westgl
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by westgl »

Hey Medford,

I mean Wing Runner,

I used to live in medford, I moved a couple cities over.

I have complete write ups, as well as many other people that have completed the SCC, The Links show how I did my Single Carb Conversions, and how many others have done there SCC on the other two sites.

It may be better for you to access that info, since it is already available.

Links;

1. Steve Saunders, on this site there is a Permanent top of the page single carb conversion, that is very lengthy in the technical section

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... cal-forum/

2. Classic Goldwings, this site has a VERY Extensive Single Carb. Conversion section.

http://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/v ... .php?f=107
1983 GL1100I Beige was an Interstate, Now Naked, Refresh & needs repaint
1984 GL1200A Naked 4Cyl.Valkyrie, Single Valk. seat & Valk. Gas Tank
1986 GL1200 Naked Hotrod with some old school in the mix (Completely gone through) Better than new
1988 GL1500 76 k miles, Naked 6cyl. building into a HotRod trike. (Under Construction)
1999 GL1500 45K miles Runs excellent
2006 M109R 1800cc Naked Reverse Trike
previous bikes, (there are way too many to list)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

seems like you are just a wee bit down river from wing runner.... I lived for four years where the rogue enters the sea
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
JeffReyJR
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by JeffReyJR »

I see I'm late to the party..
I'm curious, does that carb work with gravity fed fuel lines or only with a fuel pump?
Considering giving it a test on my gl1200 and want to put a gravity fed tank ( with some fabrication of course) where the shelter tank is.
If anybody has info related Please let me know.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It will work with a tank on top.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
JeffReyJR
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by JeffReyJR »

ericheath wrote:It will work with a tank on top.
Meaning it doesn't need a fuel pump?
I noticed a while ago while looking for a carb swap for a cb250 that some carbs are specific to either gravity fed or pump fed and it has me worried anytime I look for new carbs. Haha.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Most carbs will work gravity fed. Goldwings will run about 2.5 gallons without a pump. Then the fuel has to flow uphill.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
JeffReyJR
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by JeffReyJR »

ericheath wrote:Most carbs will work gravity fed. Goldwings will run about 2.5 gallons without a pump. Then the fuel has to flow uphill.
Ok cool. Thank you for the help.
JeffReyJR
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by JeffReyJR »

Hello again.
So it's likely related to my lack of internet skills but I've been going through these threads clicking links, as well as checking ebay, craigslist, amazon ect. and haven't been able to find type 4 intake manifolds going from 4-1 anywhere ( found 4-2 but that's irrelevant).
I'm looking to use the stovebolt carb linked in the first page and was curious if a type 2 manifold would work as many ebay listings said "type 2/4" as if they are interchangeable.
Is there a difference?
This is the one I was looking at: http://www.amazon.com/TYPE-INTAKE-CENTE ... JRVWDYTEVF
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

That's what you want. Try thesamba.com, often find used there for $30-35.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
JeffReyJR
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by JeffReyJR »

ericheath wrote:That's what you want. Try thesamba.com, often find used there for $30-35.
Haven't had any luck there.
I could just be searching wrong but every one of them I find has a carburetor attached.
I figure if the amazon one works and I cant find one cheaper in a week I'll go with amazon because currently my bike isn't even running.
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

Well, I read this whole thing and, bypassing any personal irritation issues, it was great. Interesting even for me, the admitted worst mechanic ever. Interesting stuff, like most of the links I find on here. I might even try it, just to try it, since my carbs are definitely due for a rebuild. Might be fun. BUT--and yes, yes, folks, I will look for the old threads, I'm not asking about them--I find myself even more intrigued by the dual vertical carbs setup. Why? Because of the performance upgrades? No. Because they would be less expensive to install? No. Because two carbs mounted outside the frame will be easier for me to maintain and work on? No. Why? Because they look so cool. Yup. That's my iron-plated logic. Love the way they look perched on top of that behemoth flat four. Cool. Cool. So that will be what I look for next, but I do have to say thanks for this thread to all who posted. Kept me entertained for quite a good while and also taught me a thing or two. Thanks!
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel Progressive, Runs Excellent

Post by Hukmut »

Where did you get the silicone hose? And for how much?
Thanks in advance!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Hukmut wrote:Where did you get the silicone hose? And for how much?
Thanks in advance!

You just asked a where the last previous post was 2 years ago. Some of the responses on this thread are from members who no longer visit the forum. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

OOPS! I didn't even look at the date. I was reading all of the postings that were there.
(cabin fever) :-)
Thanks for the heads up.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D