GL1100 Cheap E-Z Single Carb Conversion

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

slowbeemer
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: GL1100 Cheap E-Z Single Carb Conversion

Post by slowbeemer »

I tried both the sae and metric thread gauges and had no luck. Seems to be some odd size. :( Endless searching hasn't netted any gains either. VW guys cut off the plunger if the valve fails but nobody seems to remove it and plug the threads.
dkl
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkl »

In Picture cut-off solenoid is pointed to back of Bike, How will u adjust carb ???? I always point it at side of bike...
dkl
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkl »

My 81 GL1100 running with new version DKL 1" PVC single runner manifold and VW 34 pict 3 Carb.

slowbeemer
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by slowbeemer »

Looks like it runs great. I'm getting super excited about mine.

I have some right angle screwdrivers so I'm not too worried about adjustment. I tried to orient the carb with the fuel bowl on the low side of the carb when its on the sidestand. Probably totally unnecessary but I wasn't sure which way you pointed yours. Oh well. I guess I'll just gut the valve and create a plug out of it. Thanks for all your help though!
earthquake
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by earthquake »

slowbeemer wrote:I tried both the sae and metric thread gauges and had no luck. Seems to be some odd size. :( Endless searching hasn't netted any gains either. VW guys cut off the plunger if the valve fails but nobody seems to remove it and plug the threads.
slowbeemer
Solex carbs seem to have there own thread pitchs, I have tried to find stainless button head screws to hold the top on the body, closest thing I have found is that a 10-32 will work as long as you only thread it in about 1/4". As for the the "fuel cutoff solenoid, the only thing I have found to do is cut off a old solenoid and weld up the hole and either cut a slot for a big screw driver or grind two flats and use a adjustable wrench. I will ask on "the Samba" [a VW forum I hang out on] if any body know of some where to get one.

Casey
"If it shines, bends, bangs or clangs, ITS METAL!!! and if I cant work it, I"ll piss on it!"

I love Boxer engines be GoldWing or VW

http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
slowbeemer
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by slowbeemer »

Thanks Casey. I've been meaning to introduce myself on the samba but haven't gotten around to it yet. I just picked up a 72 bug that will be getting the class 11 Baja treatment as soon as the wing is done. :-D

So I took a ride today to a specialty bolt place and the valve baffled the employees. Seems to be a 11mm bolt with a superfine 1.0 thread pitch. Practically a non existent combination. So it looks like I have 2 options. I can drill the carb out to 12mm and rethread it and use a standard 12mm bolt or gut the valve that I have and plug it someway. I really don't want to modify the carb so maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll cut the valve open and see what we have.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

M11 is used in a few brake systems, a 7/16 x 24 banjo bolt should fit also.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
slowbeemer
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by slowbeemer »

So I just fired her up for the first time in 3 years and she ran great. I am really impressed with this carb. I haven't made any adjustments yet, just started up right out of the box. I think it's running a little rich at idle and I don't have my tach hooked up yet so I'm not going to touch it for a bit. But it ran and it ran good. :-D

Big thank you to dkl for posting this manifold. I don't think I would have ever thought about using pvc for something like this. And thank you to everyone else in this thread for posting their experiences.

Here's a quick video of it running. Never mind the rats nest of wiring. Still need to wrap the harness and route it through the frame.

dkl
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkl »

The small screw-volume adjustment- the book recommends 2 1/2 turns out as a starting point, and says to stay in between 2 to 3 turns out on final setting..Using this manifold do not be afraid to open this screw out much more..I opened it up more and it dialed in real strong.
Druid1369
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Druid1369 »

Would a set up like this work on an 85 1200 and could you use the same measurements and steps but use other piping choices?
SBFFSB
Druid
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Yes
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

So I read the whole post.....the good ...the bad ....the dramas.....the lows and the highs.....the best parts are and what I gleaned from all of it.....and by the way...it was a good read.....that I can do this to my 78 gl1000 on the cheap and not really loose any ride time....then I can save up and maybe have the stock ones rebuild later when I've got the big bucks to do that......HOW AWESOME IS THAT!!!!!!?????? And it looks like I can get all the couplers and stuff on amazon prime....except for the pvc pipe itself.....I'll go to ace hardware for that in town ...don't think I'll do any soft lines..... all hard.....I was into air cooled vw's for around 18 years....so pretty familiar with the 34 pic3 carb......I LIKE IT........personally I think this is GENIUS!!!!!! Cheap...easy....if you're a purist......MEH!!!!! I'm riding and you're not......until I can afford to rebuild my oem's.......AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... I think I love you..... man crush....... lol.."here's my bike........my first bike in 25 years.....last bike I had.....I LOVE IT!!!!
Attachments
I like this one...
I like this one...
IMG_0324.JPG (54.15 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG (268.57 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG (272.76 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
sonoramike
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by sonoramike »

Holy ancient thread revival

OK, I'm in with the DKL manifold

Been playing with these damn carbs for much longer than I'd care to admit, I can sync 2&4, and 1&3 - but can't get left bank sync'd to the right. Runs like crap, idle all over the place. Clearly I still have a problem.

I'm as stubborn as the next fool, but I give

Ordered the $68 34 PICT-3 chinese clone carb off ebay y'day, and am off to Lowe's here in a few to get the PVC to build both versions - the bent pipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4MNQ_C5S8) - and the version on the prev page with the 22.5* angles vs bending the single pipe with heat

Then see which version I like better, add the 12v tube heaters and insulation to keep em from icing up (IO'll find and add the links to these later on), and get some black paint on - and finally get to riding soon now that fall is here

Got a carb sync kit available and for sale, gently used...