I know, I know, this has probably talked about before. Sorry

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: I know, I know, this has probably talked about before. S

Post by rcmatt007 »

so to help vaporize the gas
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

ahh, you have the heated plenum argument on one side, winch i happen to agree with, then you have another side that sez the opposite, but yet showing very good verifiable results, but only by a few,

right from the get go, anyone interested in scc is faced with a primary consideration, where views/opinions totally conflict, to heat or not to heat,

it's no wonder it becomes mostly a hit or miss results at best, for most folks that go there,

tho i agree with the heated plenum approach, available real world info on that alone, is also hit & miss, at best

the history & reality of gw scc is very few have been able to make it workable, and no setup has shown similar results from others in any meaningful way, other than more contradictions,

add wild claims by many in the pro scc camp, in combination with a hook & bait focus, as in 'cheap & easy',

easily ends up into suckering noobs to go there, most often wasting time & money and is very lame vs easy to check out verifiable alternatives
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

here in Oklahoma (during the summer) there is no lack of heat
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

rcmatt007 wrote:here in Oklahoma (during the summer) there is no lack of heat
has nothing to do with plenum heat and a narrow scope of operations related to covering possible induction icing issues/scenarios
Last edited by 82aspy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

rcmatt007 wrote:so to help vaporize the gas
yet when it comes to gw scc, one side promotes no plenum heating required and even the wrong way to go
=====================
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

No sense generalizing or getting personal about various claims. As to heating, check out the gl1500's convoluted setup which proved pretty good for around 13 years before getting injected. In cold climates, for non-mechanically apt riders is probably needed. Those old enough to remember carburetor days in automobiles, every car/truck/boat had its quirks to start and keep running until warmed up. We've come a long way from manual chokes to vacuum chokes to present day. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7506,d.eWE
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

ericheath wrote: As to heating, check out the gl1500's convoluted setup which proved pretty good for around 13 years before getting injected.
honda engineered is one thing, home brew is another
=====================
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I used to have 26 cases of home brew in the basement. It WAS pretty good.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Captain Midnight

Post by Captain Midnight »

rcmatt007 wrote:so to help vaporize the gas
No, not at all.
Just for the two reasons stated.
Vaporization may have its merit with others though.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

back in 77 we had a Honda civic with a cvcc set-up (great MPG and a lot of zip) but when it would get about 33-34f and damp, the smaller barrel would ice up, the car would come to a stop, and then start right back up....
-Rodger-
Captain Midnight

rcmatt007 wrote:back in 77 we had a Honda civic with a cvcc set-up (great MPG and a lot of zip) but when it would get about 33-34f and damp, the smaller barrel would ice up, the car would come to a stop, and then start right back up....
...that 3rd, auxiliary barrel? I believe it.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

dang thing was tiny. it turns out that Honda had a bi-metal strip to suck intake air past the exhaust manifold. I simply persuaded it to open a little sooner and solved the problem. The opening was so small, that the humidity and venture effect caused the moisture to freeze up and clog the carb. I was living on the coast of Oregon at that time.... it never would have happened during the summer in Oklahoma :flamer
-Rodger-
Captain Midnight

Heckuva design that CVCC set-up..
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the car had a lot of pep, and I routinely got over 40mpg
-Rodger-
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

ericheath wrote:I used to have 26 cases of home brew in the basement. It WAS pretty good.
i ain't into booze, diff strokes for diff folks,
http://listverse.com/2013/09/30/10-awes ... moonshine/
The first cup or so of moonshine in a batch is where the impurities (such as the poisonous methanol alcohol) gather. Responsible distillers will toss this away, ensuring a relatively safe product for their customers. However, there are plenty of unscrupulous people in the business who cut corners and use dangerous ingredients. In the past, a major concern was moonshiners who used car radiators as condensers. The condensers were often soldered together with lead, which is toxic—even in trace amounts. The radiators also contained leftover antifreeze, which contains ethylene glycol, a deadly poison made even more hazardous by the fact that it tastes sweet.

Some moonshiners have been known to include bizarre ingredients to add to their product’s potency, including manure and embalming fluid. To make matters worse, the stuff is usually made in the middle of the woods in less than sterile conditions, the sweet mash drawing all manner of insects and rodents.

=====================

Return to “Unique Carburetion”