Another GL1100 Megasquirt EFI project

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Another GL1100 Megasquirt EFI project

Post by irishcarbomb »

Whats the outside diameter of the fuel line? I might have a spare piece of braided line you could slip over it where it bends to keep it from kinking?
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
thesteve
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by thesteve »

I'd have to check. I think I still have some of that OEM steel coil that was wrapped around some of the original lines. Honestly it's such a tight bend that if I want it done "properly" I'd only really feel comfortable with a pipe instead of a hose. The fuel feed line comes out of the right side of the tank (on the bottom), crosses all the way over to the left side while dropping near the swingarm mount and driveshaft, then makes a tight turn back to the pump. The outlet of the pump came with a 90 degree fitting and is under pressure so it works there. I just need to find the part to do it properly.
thesteve
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by thesteve »

Hey guys, been a while. I finally got around to making a new fuel line out of some 3/8" brake line tubing from Napa. Completely solved the fuel starvation issue. Took it for a 25 mile ride today and was able to hold 85mph for a few minutes without any weirdness, so I'm calling that one fixed.

I was still seeing stallouts when I'd coast in gear for a few seconds before pulling in the clutch. Did some checking of settings in the driveway and noticed my overrun fuel cut off settings were way too aggressive. I backed them off to sane values and it's pretty good now. I haven't been able to stall it out since doing that. Calling that one fixed as well.

I locked out the O2 feedback around the idle cells, instead allowing the IACV to handle the small adjustments in airflow to get the idle more stable. One thing I've noticed (at least on small engines with lightweight flywheels) is that if your O2 and IACV are both running in closed loop mode at the same time you'll almost never get a smooth idle. It'll start ok, but one will start chasing a correction and the other will try to do the same causing it to wildly oscillate until the engine finally stops. By locking out the O2 correction, the IACV can find a near perfect idle.

Perhaps once it's closer to 100% tuned it won't matter since I'll be able to dial back the O2 correction. Right now it makes a small adjustment every 20 ignition pulses, but eventually I can make it an even smaller adjustment every 50 or so to make it more reliant on the maps. I'd say it's very close to being fully tuned now; riding it around the only thing you notice is a stumble when shifting quickly. I think my accel enrich settings need tweaking. Other than that, it's good to go. The brakes are terrifying, but that's a different project.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Good to hear from you!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Good Job!
As you say, the O2 adjustment is always being done after the fact. Pretty much like trying to drive a car moving forward, just by watching the rear view mirror! Kinda risky to ever trust pid feedback.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Great to hear!

I'll keep that in mind once I get my wideband installed.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
thesteve
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by thesteve »

Hey guys, major update finally.

It's been a really hot summer here in AZ so the 'wing has been sitting in the garage untouched for the most part. A buddy of mine wants to learn to ride so I finally decided to get it out of the garage and finish tuning it.

The VE (fueling) table was already pretty close, so I've been focusing on rideability. It needs to start, idle, and overall feel good if anyones going to ride this thing (let alone learn to ride on it). So when I left off, it mostly idled, it mostly sort of started, and it would ride great at any speed as long as you dont yank the throttle too quickly.

I decided to tackle the idle first so it would stop stalling out randomly. I first set the IACV to "warmup only" mode where it starts at a high idle and slowly settles into a fixed position once the engine is warmed up. I decided to leave it there to verify that the fueling was close enough to keep it steady and make sure that the stalling was caused by the IACV. Turned out it wasn't, it was the over run fuel cut again. I disabled the over run cut entirely and changed the IACV back to closed loop mode so it'd always be chasing a strong idle. I did adjust the initial valve position so it has a better point to start from before making adjustments. Idle is good to go now.

Tuning startup is a bit tricky. During todays first start I carefully poked and prodded the warm up enrich settings, so they should be pretty close now. The cranking settings I still think are pretty close; it always starts but with my slowly dying battery it sometimes cant turn over fully and begins to flood. I have to crank it a few times with the throttle opened and it'll fire right up. I've been adjusting the IACV cranking position to mimic having the throttle cracked open a bit and it seems to be helping quite a bit. Who knows what it'll do with a fresh battery, but it's pretty easy to start now.

Accel enrich is always the most difficult thing to tune. I had actually zeroed the enrichment out a while ago to isolate some problem (I don't remember what but I'm sure I mentioned it in this thread). So as expected, every time the throttle was opened quickly the bike would stumble and cough for about a half second (an eternity when you need power NOW) before the fueling reacted properly and it'd take off. I started working on that today and got it all pretty close with standard TPS only AE. I was getting a bit frustrated with how difficult it was to get the low speed AE dialed in just right; at 4000RPM or so it worked literally perfectly. It'd respond just as quickly as my 2014 FJR1300. Around 2500RPM though it would still stumble for a moment or so. Just enough to make shifting a bit rough.

I decided to try the "Enhanced Accel Enrichment" feature which is something I hadn't used before. The theory behind EAE is that instead of relying on a table of throttle movement vs extra injection time, it instead is constantly calculating how much fuel is sticking to the intake manifold walls and the back of the intake valves. It also is constantly calculating the opposite: how much fuel is evaporating from the walls and valves. All in all, there are 6 tables for it which thankfully are very close to being ideal for any MPFI engine. The older style Chevy TBI setups would need a completely different calibration most likely due to the distance between the injectors and the intake valves.

I disabled standard AE and enabled EAE and the difference was astounding. Even untuned, it was beautifully smooth. It still would misfire for maybe 2 sparks if you really wrench the throttle open from a low RPM, but it's closer than it ever was before. I re-enabled standard AE and raised the threshold for it so that it only triggers on huge throttle movements (and with very little additional fuel since EAE is still running) and it's now very close. I think I have one or two more rides to do before I can say Accel Enrich is good to go. The combination of TPS AE and EAE works fantastically. I'd say that the availability of EAE is enough reason alone to avoid the old MS1 CPU, where it's not available to my knowledge.

I still need to tackle the brakes. Since I unlinked the front and rear, the front master cylinder is too small for any sort of real braking power. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Thanks for the informative update!
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Good info on the EAE. I'll have to look into that once I get back to working on the bike, was thinking about trying ITB mode.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
thesteve
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by thesteve »

ITB mode is probably the way to go, though I'll admit it's taken me far longer to get this dialed in than the pure Alpha N mode on the last motorcycle I megasquirted. It's supposed to be the best of both worlds if you can get it tuned properly.
thesteve
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by thesteve »

Well, I think it's time to move on. I don't ever ride the Goldwing and just don't really have the desire to keep playing with it. After going through a move and lamenting having to haul it around, I think it's best to let it go. Before I try craigslist or parting it out, is there anyone here who would be interested in it? I haven't ridden it in months, but it does run when jump started (battery is currently dead). I never really finished the tuning; I remember it riding very well the last few times I rode it but it was still stalling out some of the time when I pull in the clutch after decelerating. I'd say the project is somewhere around 80-90% complete, with tuning being the majority of the remaining work and the rest being appearance things. I'm not really looking to recoup costs as much as get the garage space back, so I'm only really looking for $1500. The only part I might keep is the wideband O2; it's not permanently installed and is only needed for tuning. I'm still in the Phoenix area if anyone would like to check it out.

Pics are here, taken today: http://imgur.com/a/n0WDN

I know there would be much more interest in parting it out, but I really really don't want to do that. Without the original carbs, that will leave me with a shell of a bike that will be very difficult to get rid of. If there's no interest at all in the bike as is I may consider it, but it won't be anytime soon.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Sorry to hear that Steve....best of luck to you! Would certainly be a good project for someone!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
taunusrainer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taunusrainer »

:shock: