Dual VTR1000 or Mikuni VM's

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dual VTR1000 or Mikuni VM's

Post by wannabridin »

So a buddy and I are considering swapping the stock carbs in favor of twin carbs. We have some old VTR1000 carbs laying around and we were also thinking of some VM34's or 36's.

The concern with the VTR carbs is their sensitivity to intake volume. I don't think the VM's have as much of a problem with airbox volume. The VM's are simpler in operation, but offer up almost too much tunability. Both carbs could be run off a simple twin pull throttle cable.

We're working on designing a manifold that I can "simply" print at work in Al. We don't want the Weber's because of initial cost and with me being a taller guy (~6' 3"), you run into some knee room. Not to mention the limited side shelter access.

Any thoughts??
CYBORG

Re: Dual VTR1000 or Mikuni VM's

Post by CYBORG »

WHY?
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

I said it above, more tuning options. I'm going to be running a 4-4 exhaust and we're going to do a little port work on the heads, so wed like to be able to tune the carbs more easily. Why not??
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

If thats what floats your boat, I agree. Why not. Have fun
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

So does anyone have any experience with using other carbs like this?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Those VTR's are pretty big. How easy to access jets? A little over a year ago someone tried some carbs off a VMax, I think. He used separate air filters and wasn't happy with it in the long run. HOTT has a couple of two-carb downdraft builds on here somewhere.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Ya, the vtr carbs are the largest honda ever made at 48mm. I wouldn't want to run individual filters, as they need a properly sized airbox to function properly. Jets shouldn't be an issue to procure or change, as they would be much more accessible in the stockish location on the GL.

This is also why I mentioned using a mikuni VM instead, as they can be had cheap and they can be highly tuned.
DaveyG
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by DaveyG »

Curious to see where you get with the Mikunis. I became a fan of them from growing up riding and working on snowmobiles, the best ones all used Mikuni carbs, and they were by far the easiest to work on. So I put a little Mikuni on my 86 Yamaha TT225. Still haven't quite dialed it in, got it to fire up last fall, but was running pig rich. If you find a good combo, I'd likely swap my GL1000 over. Contemplating building a EFI setup right now, but I'm much more familiar with the Mikuni than with wiring and computers haha.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

zero progress on this. It was more of a feeler to see if it would be worth it or not. I'd just like the tuning options if I ever go this route, as the stock carbs don't have much aftermarket support.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

More modern carbs would be good, but for what you are contemplating the stock carbs would be fine. The 4into 4 will make next to no difference to the carbs and the ports are already more than big enough, in fact rather too big.
Other jets are readily available for them if you know where to look. Unless you are going drastic with head skimming, camshaft changes, custom made valves etc, the stockies would work fine.
This is not to put you off experimenting, as there is a need to be able to switch to something more available for the 1000 as the supply of good old stuff dries up.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D