Other VW carbs?

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

earthquake
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Other VW carbs?

Post by earthquake »

Have any other VW Solex carbs been tried on a Wing? The 34 PICT3 is a smog carb for a vw, Has any body tried a 30 PICT1? this carb is used in a lot of racing classes in spec motors. I have a 28 PCI off of a 36hp motor from the 50's I built for a friends race motor at Bonneville, it has a 24.5mm venturi in it and it flows quite well, there some tricks to do to the 34 PICT3 that make them easier to tune as well, I will try to find the link to it. How about the Kadron 40mm carb? it is normaly use in pairs but it might work on a Wing motor. or maybe a Weber 34 ICT I have a few of those laying around too. I love working on stock carbs and making them make more HP.

here are some pictures of Solex carbs I have built for other projects, the first 3 pictures are a 34 PICT3 that I opened up the venturi 3mm's , removed all the smog stuff, vented the float chamber out the top and plugged the the vent in the throat to help improve flow and removed the automatic choke, it is a bit much for a Wing unless it has had some HP mods.
pic 4-5 are a 28PCI I am working on for 1385cc 36hp motor for a friends 54 bug, he wants it to look mostly stock but have a few more ponies, it has a 24.5mm vent, I removed the choke mech and made the bracket to hold the throttle stop, its not done yet but should run good on his new motor. I have a 30 PICT1 in the works too but no pictures of it.

Casey
Attachments
IMGP2419.JPG
IMGP2419.JPG (101.17 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMGP2420.JPG
IMGP2420.JPG (88.5 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMGP2421.JPG
IMGP2421.JPG (83.25 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMGP2782.JPG
IMGP2782.JPG (30.59 KiB) Viewed 349 times
IMGP2783.JPG
IMGP2783.JPG (31.32 KiB) Viewed 349 times
"If it shines, bends, bangs or clangs, ITS METAL!!! and if I cant work it, I"ll piss on it!"

I love Boxer engines be GoldWing or VW

http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Other VW carbs?

Post by brianinpa »

there some tricks to do to the 34 PICT3 that make them easier to tune as well
Like what?
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket
earthquake
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by earthquake »

One thing is to plug the hole in the butterfly, it helps the pilot circuit when working on a VW with a mechanical advance distributor, I am not sure if it will do any thing for a Wing or not, it might help get a better idle at lower rpms. Plugging the anti dieseling solenoid does not do much but I have had them go bad on me. The venturi is removable but you have to pull the butterfly and throttle shaft to get it out, on the 34 PICT3 in the pictures has had the venturi opened up about 3mm's, it works on a 1835cc VW motor great. They also have a fuel enrichment circuit built in to supply extra fuel at higher rpm's that you can play with, they are the two brass tubes that are in the throat. At higher rpm's they siphon fuel from the float bowl to pevent the motor from running lean at high speed. You can play with the jets to get more fuel but they are pressed into the carb body, you have drill them with wire drills or jet drills if you have a set.

Casey
"If it shines, bends, bangs or clangs, ITS METAL!!! and if I cant work it, I"ll piss on it!"

I love Boxer engines be GoldWing or VW

http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
Captain Midnight

Post by Captain Midnight »

I've run the Brosol H-30/31 on a 1000 with positive results. 25.5mm choke. Beautiful idle on a heated manifold. I recommend it based on my experience in using it on my stuff.
LD (Duane) ran a 30-1 Round Bowl copy with all of his conversions and never had any complaints.

There are better "off the shelf" carb sizes for a 1000 than the 34-3 in my opinion. The 26mm choke size is not ideal for a 1000. 25.5 is at the far limit with the Brosol for most.
Primary choke size on a 1000 shouldn't exceed 24mm for most.

Getting a 1000 to properly activate carburetor circuits with its minimal air-speed is challenging.

Venturi choke size aside, a general rule that I've found is to NOT exceed the factory throttle valve size for any tract if possible, such as runner ID size, which is somewhere around 25mm...
1320bd
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by 1320bd »

Sorry to bring up an old post. I am wanting to do a dual carb setup with the carbs sittinv above the heads. I like the look of 1 barrels just because it seems different. I was thinking of some Solex 30's or 34's. Just worried it might be too much carb for a 1200. Any suggestions?
84 GL1200 currently under transformation

Custom 212cc chopper built for my son

"The more I cut mine up, the more yours is worth"