Setting up fuel lines for IDF throttle bodies...

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Setting up fuel lines for IDF throttle bodies...

Post by wingrider »

Hello All,

Wonder if someone could confirm my thinking on how to set up my fueling for my throttle bodies. I have drawn up a very crude diagram of my thinking.
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG (130.9 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Hopefully this posted it upright for everyone to see. Can I just do a loop around and have the pressure regulator on the return side, or am I thinking of this wrong, and it should be before the first set of injectors?

I am still learning about fuel injection, so please excuse my thinking if it is wrong.

Thanks for any help! anim-cheers1
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Setting up fuel lines for IDF throttle bodies...

Post by ericheath »

I think you want the regulator on the feed side?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

That is part of what I am not sure of...I must admit I am basing my thoughts from sorted info on EFI'ing air cooled VW's.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550
MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

Fuel pressure regulators are almost always positioned on the far side of a fuel rail setup to maintain pressure in the fuel rail(s) with any unused fuel then returning to the tank. Your diagram is 100% correct.
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Some history: In early efi days, fuel was circulated through the fuel rails and injectors, to help cool them. More recently, increased fuel volitility standards requires cooler fuel in the tank, so most pressure regulators now recirculate before reaching the engine area. Here's a LS Corvette combination regulator and filter in one unit, along with a diagram for connecting it: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... prd425.htm
So anyway, my answer to your question is: I like the early style system, that kind that cools the injectors (like your diagram), mainly because it can recover from a heat sink faster.
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Thanks everyone! Good to know I am on the right track.

I have been talking a bit with irishcarbomb about a few things, and for simplicity of mounting, I am going to slightly modify my idea to this:
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG (81.36 KiB) Viewed 483 times
So, the injectors will still be first, and then I can mount the pressure regulator to the front of the engine support.
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1974 Suzuki GT550