New 34 Pict-3 Ebay carbs

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Ed Fleming
Brass Member
Brass Member

New 34 Pict-3 Ebay carbs

Post by Ed Fleming »

Will they run well right out of the box?
79 GL1000
Ed Fleming
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: New 34 Pict-3 Ebay carbs

Post by Ed Fleming »

I picked up 3 "used" Solex 34 Pict-3 carbs with a single carb manifold, and fitted them one at a time to a 77 gl1000, hoping one would run right. They all seem to have problems, maybe they were left with gas in them and now are gummed up. No adjusting seemed to make much difference. For 2 of the carbs, the main fault was that they would not idle, high or low. The third would run on high idle, but dies once the choke opens, even warmed up. So, I have been considering buying a new carbs from ebay, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-34-PICT-3- ... e7&vxp=mtr.

Any experience with these or suggestions?
79 GL1000
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Even new out of the box any carb will need at minimum some adjusting. Usually some jetting too.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

OK. Gonna tell my age.
For 25 years I worked on and actually fixed vw product for a living in my driveway. When vw started putting those carbs on their cars, I just had to have one because they were new and bigger! I figured out how to modify the manifold center section to get it to fit. Then I found out that they were crap! Really. Just another attempt to deal with the emissions laws. All kinds of adjustments! Still crap.
Fast forward to the 21st century. Guess what? They are still crap. And now people are trying to put these crap carbs on their bikes?!?
People, just use an earlier Solex. They are SO much better. Right out of the box. Made in Germany or Mexico. Do yourself a favor.
I went with the Holley/Weber progressive 2bbl as used on many autos. (Pinto, Maverick, Capri, Mustang II, and I am sure a bunch of others.)
Have one on my 81 gl1100.
Gobs of power.
Ride safe, y'all!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by brianinpa »

I had one on my 1200 motor and it ran fine. I did need to tweek the jets to get the motor to perform the way I liked, but it didn't take much. When I was done playing around, the bike pulled like a train from low to high rpm. I want to add that I was also running a C5 ignition.

I eventually needed the 1200 motor from my 1100 frame for my 1200 Standard, so I pulled everything a scrapped the 1100. Now I am in the process of putting the C5, the single carb manifold, and the 34 Pict 3 on my 87. When I am done it will be my daily rider.

Now if it would only warm up a bit, I could get busy.
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

I wonder why everyone leans towards the 34 Pict-3? Just because its bigger? I feel like the 30 Pict-1 would be a better choice because its pre-emmissions.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Actually, the 30 Pict 1 is the best carb that VW put on their engines. It is simple and very few parts to wear out.

Ride safe, y'all!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D