Joining the crowd

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Joining the crowd

Post by ob1quixote »

Hadn't looked lately, but to me the huge difference in mpg on a 170 mile cruise and a 29 mile city drive with some 2 miles of WOT tells me that circuit is extremely rich.

I expect to gain performance at WOT and reduce some of that consumption.

Now to find that jet with the emulsion tube...
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Opened up the carb to see what jet was in it, a 70.
Ordered a 65, 60 and 50.

Hope they come in before the weekend, got a trip planned to Stone Mountain GA, visit a brain tumor survivor I havent seen in about six years. Already have a route planned that avoids almost all interstate highways, make it a more leisurely trip.

Also installed the manual choke, using the OE choke cable and a universal manual choke kit. Note for those doing the mod, a trip to the hardware store for 3 M4X25 bolts, 3 M4 plain nuts and 3 slightly larger than M4 washers is in order. The new cup that holds the bellcrank is too big for the electric choke retaining ring.

Put the washer on the bolt, then run the nut up to the washer until the nut sits just a little low on the cup, Turn the bolt in, holding the washer for the best contact with the cup. The nut will be held by the cup, while the washer holds the cup in place. Tighten carefully, cup feels like bakelite...
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Well, dropped in the 60 WOT jet, and liked it! Nice kick in the pants with the throttle wide open.
Switched to the 50 and that feeling went away.

Figures the only 55 WOT jet out there is in Italy.
Expected delivery in the last 2 weeks of this month.

Went on my trip to Athens GA last weekend. With an altitude of only 636ft, I didnt expect any altitude sickness and didnt get it. Avoided all interstates on the way up, 32-33mpg the whole way.

Had to change my route a bit for the trip back, a storm was rolling through GA and SC on the way to the coast. I got caught in a small shower, then assessed the situation and punched my way through, only to get off the interstate and enjoy the ride.

Instrumental was an app on my phone, My Radar. Set up to stay centered on me as I traveled, I could look at the rain with only a 10 minute delay. Pick the place, don the rain gear, take care of business. My Radar has a free version with ads. The ads are small, you can pay to get rid of them and add some function; I may do it, but the ads are very small, no biggie!
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Expecting the 55 jet any day now...

Other updates!

Going with 1/4 inch phenolic insulator between the manifold and carb. I think the engine heat is boiling the fuel after the bike is turned off.

Also, a short the other day depowered the idle cut off valve while I was riding. Definitely knew there was a problem, but did not prevent the engine from running. No idle for sure! I think I will replace the idle cut solenoid with a plug, see how that goes, maybe save some power for use elsewhere.
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Installed the insulator today. The carb studs that came withe the carb suck, they are too long, and have no shoulder to stop them threading into the carb. Luckily the insulator kit came with nice shouldered studs, as well as good gaskets.

Adding the insulator had no effect on the tool tray, still fits fine.

Seems to smooth out the cold starting. Not going to spend a whole lot of time analyzing the insulator, will be installing the 55 WOT jet tomorrow!
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

Installed the 55 WOT jet, seat 'o' pants dyno says go back to the 60.
Dont want to scorch the new cans I just installed after scorching the previous new cans!

Old new scorched cans will live on, on a buddy's Triumph bobber.
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480