Single carburetor upgrades

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Single carburetor upgrades

Post by dontwantapickle »

I can't help but thinking that if putting a single carb on a goldwing was a good way to go....... the factory would have done it.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: Single carburetor upgrades

Post by Oldewing »

4 carbs are faster, one carb is easier to work with... your choice.
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Old discussion that won't go away. Won't change most peoples minds on either side. But we do have a section just for single carb conversions and other unique carb conversions.

Really don't need to start/rehash the subject again. IMO

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Oldewing wrote:4 carbs are faster, one carb is easier to work with... your choice.
I agree.....but if you don't understand them...….single carb MIGHT be the second choice :roll:
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

It's obvious that the engineers were willing to accept the complexity of the fuel system to make the engine perform optimally.
If the single could ever be made to work as well as 4, I'm sure that Honda would have went that way.
If anyone could have done it, I would have been them.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Although not a single, it may has well have been one on the 1500. So as to Honda thinking more carbs were better, that doesn’t add up. It may have been a cost saving measure, six carbs vs two carbs, but for the multiple carb people, there was the Valkyrie, and the Valkyrie was the higher performing bike. It seems Honda knew and proved both had there place and could be made to work.

I’ve never seen 1500 dyno results.

On that note, I got up this morning and thought I was buying a 1990 GL1500 with shift issues and 13k miles for $1000. By the time I asked if the seller had title, it was sold. Maxwell Smart I am.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Also, the original GL1000 carbs were just adapted from automotive use. Honda engineers must have reasoned that it was the best way to go, as the '75 was the best performing. Later versions were detuned for drivability as a tourer. The sport bike heritage still lingered for a long time, though. Pistol Pete has some pre-production carbs with accelerator pump provisions still in the float bowl casting.
SlimSocial-6.jpg
SlimSocial-6.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

pidjones wrote:Also, the original GL1000 carbs were just adapted from automotive use. Honda engineers must have reasoned that it was the best way to go, as the '75 was the best performing. Later versions were detuned for drivability as a tourer. The sport bike heritage still lingered for a long time, though. Pistol Pete has some pre-production carbs with accelerator pump provisions still in the float bowl casting.
SlimSocial-6.jpg
That’s interesting. Like the information.
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Randall.Huston
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Randall.Huston »

dontwantapickle wrote:I can't help but thinking that if putting a single carb on a goldwing was a good way to go....... the factory would have done it.
While the stock setup is admittedly the higher performing setup, I went with a single for ease of maintenance and reliability. I don't have to go like a rocket sled from 0 to 60 but I did want something that had reasonable power with minimal fuss. I was told that the single carb was never going to be satisfactory as to performance, fuel economy and that I'd lose most of the rideability. That has not been the case. When I bought my bike it had sat for at least 4 years and whoever did the original carbs should have had his butt cut off because they were a mess. I rebuilt them and never had much luck getting them to settle down. There are 4 shops here that won't even look at an old wing. Too much hassle they all said. There was also no way I was going to pay someone 500 dollars to fix the carbs on a bike that was worth maybe 1000. So having said that I got a manifold and a "real" 34 Pict 3 and with a little tinkering I've come up with a completely rideable bike that doesn't make me feel like I'm going to be walking home every time I ride it. I'm getting 32 mpg and go from 0 to 60 in about 7 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4-K16NqEdY
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

I'm getting 32mpg on the Solex 30, depending on how hard I am on the throttle. 26mpg when I'm exercising my wrist and in boogie mode.

Not quite done with the fine tuning yet, but happy enough so far. I adjusted the screws a bit on the trip up to altitude a few weeks back, and did not have to readjust when coming back to sea level. My 34 required attention to the screw adjustments during the same trip last year, on the way up and down.

A little flat spot in the mid rpm... probably a little lean.
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
Randall.Huston
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Randall.Huston »

I had flat spot issues until I went to a 135 main jet and drilled out the idle jet to .008. I have a 30 and I'm waiting on a different manifold before I try using it.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I'm not a fan of single conversions but I could be if there weren't so many manifolds out there that don't work and are un-tunable. I do like the design that HOTT came up with for one of his bikes. Some manifold designs would require heating the plenum to keep from icing up. That isn't an easy project.
I don't follow here like I used to but has anyone ever posted dyno numbers on a single carb bike?
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

gregforesi wrote:snip........
I don't follow here like I used to but has anyone ever posted dyno numbers on a single carb bike?
I've asked that same thing several times. Never any response. You would have to do back to back. Possible to do. Most quote "dyno time expense" as one reason they don't/won't do it. But if a person "really" wants a confirmed answer that is the only way. Or 1/4 mile times at the track.

Butt dynos are notoriously wrong. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ob1quixote
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ob1quixote »

A buddy of mine was challenged to race a Harley on the dyno at Bike Week, at the Harley compound.
He has a KTM 1290, heavily modded with ALL the good stuff.
After spanking the harley lightly, they went again.
He snapped the clutch out at 7500rpm...

https://youtu.be/mId9eUzSnts

ripped a 4 inch wide nylon strap, luckily the damage was light, and a cooling fan shroud kept the bike from launching into the crowd...no dynos for me!

For me, the single carb solution was simple. My rack of carbs was in horrible shape, and I could see a lot of time and money spent chasing down all the issues. Add to that my personal dislike of CV carbs {x4}, and the want to ride instead of wrench. I dont care how much power it makes, and it makes enough for me. As tuned now, no adjustments from sea level to Mt Mitchell. 34mpg at a relaxed cruise on state highways, less as I exercise my wrist more. Can change every air or fuel jet in minutes. Parts availability, not that I have needed any. as it sits now, I would ride it across the continent if I wanted to.
1979 GL1000
2001 DRZ400
1983 CR480
And a few late '60's - early '70's British thumpers
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Robin offered to pay for for Dyno time for a heavily modded Goldwing with a progressive two bbl. Didn’t work out. It was a 1200 with 1000 heads. Too bad. It would have been nice to know.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi