Using carbs as throttle bodies?

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

TheFieryMan
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Using carbs as throttle bodies?

Post by TheFieryMan »

Rednaxs60 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:07 pm Don't know about the Megasquirt family, but there are various examples of FI installs on motorcycles on the Speeduino forum. May be worth a look. I'm doing an OEM ECU replacement/upgrade project using the Speeduino Project.
Yes! I was also very curious about the Speeduino concept and I actually really like the whole project. I'm the type of person who does massive amounts of research on things before I start them. (In this case its forced because I can't physically even start the project for quite a while because I'm not living in the country.) I may still go with the Speeduino if I can see that its very stable. From what i've seen so far it's still on its way to becoming stable. I could go either way at this point. I would like to see some more stable results from the Speeduino projects. So im eager to see how you do.
1982 GL1100A Aspencade
(Naked Mega Squirt EFI project)
joecoolsuncle
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by joecoolsuncle »

TheFieryMan wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:14 pm As for the topic of this thread, I've actually decided against using the carbs as throttle bodies. At this point I plan to use a single throttle body and replace the carbs with fabricated runners from the main plenum to the runners I found used on eBay from an 86 efi model. I am also planning some experiments to try and achieve some better flow through the plenum and runners.
that may simplify the tuning process x4. intake velocities are very important with efi tunes. to remove ANY amount of material is to slow velocities. sounds like you are going to get very good at forming and blending epoxy!

i wish you well, and will follow this undertakig.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

TheFieryMan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:42 am
Rednaxs60 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:07 pm Don't know about the Megasquirt family, but there are various examples of FI installs on motorcycles on the Speeduino forum. May be worth a look. I'm doing an OEM ECU replacement/upgrade project using the Speeduino Project.
Yes! I was also very curious about the Speeduino concept and I actually really like the whole project. I'm the type of person who does massive amounts of research on things before I start them. (In this case it's forced because I can't physically even start the project for quite a while because I'm not living in the country.) I may still go with the Speeduino if I can see that it's very stable. From what i've seen so far it's still on its way to becoming stable. I could go either way at this point. I would like to see some more stable results from the Speeduino projects. So i'm eager to see how you do.
Using the Speeduino Project because it is still a very dynamic work in progress, but the base ECU requirement(s) to use an aftermarket ECU is quite mature. I think it's more prevalent across the pond, but it has a good base in North America. It's reasonably priced - good for us who lack deep pockets, lots of install variations, and a steep learning curve for us novices getting into the ECU world because you are your own designer/tuner.

I have had the Speeduino installed and the engine operating. I have not progressed as far as I would like mainly because I have not understood all the guidance I have received.

The purpose for my venture into the aftermarket ECU world is to have an ECU alternative for the '85/'86 Gold Wing FI models because the existing OEM ECU can fail, and if it does, these ECUs are not easily found and if you do, not inexpensive. Without an ECU, these early FI model bikes become lawn ornaments, boat anchors, or a candidate for conversion back to carbs. Another issue with dropping in a newer ECU is that using existing CFI system components is not always the easiest, or best way forward.

I've been accused of getting too far into the weeds as well, but as you mention it's personal preference. I defend myself in this regard in that the better the understanding the better the product will be down the road.

I think it's quite stable, people have been using the Speeduino ECU for over 10 years. Not as well known, but like everything else, first foot in the door and you have a leg up on the competition.

Check out the Speeduino Facebook page for more information. There is a Salt Flat speed demon, Terminator, that uses Josh Stewart's new Dropbear ECU, there are ready made ECU packages for various vehicles, It's a good representation of what the Speeduino is capable of and should provide a person with the confidence needed to consider use of this product.

Another site is Detonationems.com. Like its product as well.

My forum threads regarding my project is mostly on the Classic GoldWings forum and Speeduino forum. The thread(s) on the Speeduino forum are probably too much in the weeds, but that is me.

Bit off topic, trust you don't mind.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)