Fuel economy

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Fuel economy

Post by mikenixon »

Powersports customers have a right to be concerned with fuel economy. While motorcyclists may not be able to claim fuel mileage superior to most cars when speaking of anything larger than a scooter (something non-riders are always amazed to learn), fuel economy still counts. And when the rider notices a change in his particular mount, it counts a lot!

Another thing many outside the riding fraternity are not aware of is that powersports manufacturers have traditionally (and very unlike car makers) avoided the subject of fuel economy. And for some very good reasons. Let's begin with the most obvious. The biggest single influence on fuel economy for a relatively lightweight vehicle is user-to-vehicle-weight ratio. Take two riders, one weighing 150 pounds and one 250 pounds. That 100 pound difference just doesn't affect a car's fuel economy because its user-to-vehicle-weight ratio is so high. A hundred pounds is nothing against the massive weight of the car. But when it's a 500 pound motorcycle we're considering that 100 pounds is very noticeable; very impactive. The motorcycle's capacity and loading are dramatically affected, hence its fuel efficiency. Make sense? It's a biggie. And some other reasons powersports manufacturers are silent when it comes to fuel economy? Well, there's the rider's throttle use, his gear choices, the road surface types and grading, tire types, tire pressures, and even environmental conditions, to name only a few. And trust me, there are more. See why manufacturers avoid the subject?

When a customer analyst at Honda's corporate office I had a case in which a Honda owner wanted new tires under warranty because he was wearing them out quickly. If I remember correctly we were even considering it. But when we sent out a field guy to look at the situation, it was discovered that the customer lived at the top of a mountain whose steep access roads were paved with a special ultra-aggressively-textured surface designed to increase safety in the face of the unusually frequent rains in that spot. Now, this is an extreme case, and it involved tire wear not fuel economy. But I can assure you the customer didn't think his case unusual. He failed to see anything out of the ordinary in his situation. Similarly, each of us rides differently, in different environments, with different levels of aggressiveness, at different speeds and with different loads. And don't forget, with different commitments to maintenance. So you can bet each of us regards his riding as very typical, when likely there is huge diversity.

So there aren't for each powersports vehicle model average fuel economy figures one can reliably expect? Bottom line? No, there aren't. Not technically, not legally, not in any defensible sense. As a practical matter however mileage stats for specific models are known quantities among their owners, and taken in the aggregate, that is, from a sizable number of owners of a given model (hello, we may just have discovered a legitimate purpose for user forums), they can be believed. But don't try to sue anyone if your machine doesn't fit the norm! The point is there is no such thing as normal fuel economy.

This is distressing to many, but to further make the point, let's look at another area affecting fuel economy that is probably the least considered of all, even by experienced riders, but is not at all the least significant: Chassis maintenance. A few years ago one of my customers had me do two sets of identical carbs for him from two examples of the same year and model bike. But when he got them back he complained of a 25 percent difference in fuel economy between the two machines. Eventually we discovered that the poorer fueling bike needed its drive chain lubed, and thereafter its fuel economy matched that of the other machine. Drive chain!? Hard to believe? It shouldn't be. Motorcycles as machines are extremely basic; their relatively few systems depend heavily on each other. Those who have worked around a rear wheel horsepower dynomometer and viewed power curves classically and dramatically communicating poorly maintained drive chains, bad wheel bearings, low tire pressures, and dragging brake calipers know this very well. It's real.

And finally, one more piece to this puzzle. Are you ready? Even a clogged carburetor fuel passage can be responsible for reduced fuel economy. Come again? A clogged passage? Yes. When a carburetor circuit is working less efficiently than it should, we tend to compensate by using more throttle, thus more fuel. And this principle works in reverse, too. Sometimes overcoming an engine performance glitch by richening jetting results in no fuel penalty despite the added fuel because with the change less throttle is needed to get the same power. It's a real deal. Cool, huh?

Hopefully this will help you think a little broader and smarter about the subject of fuel economy. Comments are encouraged.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Fuel economy

Post by Track T 2411 »

Great write-up, as usual. I have to laugh when I compare my fuel economy riding one up vs. two up. I'm a much more 'sedate' rider, it seems, as I usually get three or four MPG better when riding two up, lol!
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Ha! That is funny. A little more spirited solo, eh? :-)
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Have seen anywhere from 26 to 50 mpg on the same bike. So many variables.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

My bikes routinely get 40% less MPG in the city (Toronto) than on the road .... I write it off to the fact that in town I have both feet down about .... 40% of the time ....

Gord :roll:
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am often surprised at the fuel economy some of the new Harley Davidsons seem to get. We may occasionally and good-naturedly disparage those machines, but they're pulling down some impressive numbers.

If I get 35/36 MPG on the Valkyrie, I feel like I won the lottery. The GL1000 routinely sees 42 to 46.

Thanks again for the insight, Mike. Your wise counsel becomes part of our DNA.
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Good article, great read. All a person can do is manage their own bike, and as long as the mileage doesn't vary out of the ordinary, stay with it. When the mileage changes from the norm, time to go looking. I'm a fan of keeping track of, not religiously, all indicators and using these as a guide to how my bike is operating. When things change I go looking or try to figure out what I have done differently.

Gauges and such are should be used as a guide. The biggest influence on our bike's are us. Went on a course a couple of years ago. The facilitator mentioned that the OEM has designed these bikes to do everything well, or as well as possible, then we put us on the bike and all bets are off.

Cheers
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Rednaxs60 wrote:Good article, great read. All a person can do is manage their own bike, and as long as the mileage doesn't vary out of the ordinary, stay with it. When the mileage changes from the norm, time to go looking. I'm a fan of keeping track of, not religiously, all indicators and using these as a guide to how my bike is operating. When things change I go looking or try to figure out what I have done differently.
Thanks. Sounds smart.
Rednaxs60 wrote:Gauges and such are should be used as a guide. The biggest influence on our bike's are us. Went on a course a couple of years ago. The facilitator mentioned that the OEM has designed these bikes to do everything well, or as well as possible, then we put us on the bike and all bets are off.
Cheers
No kidding. :)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

desertrefugee wrote:I am often surprised at the fuel economy some of the new Harley Davidsons seem to get. We may occasionally and good-naturedly disparage those machines, but they're pulling down some impressive numbers.

If I get 35/36 MPG on the Valkyrie, I feel like I won the lottery. The GL1000 routinely sees 42 to 46.

Thanks again for the insight, Mike. Your wise counsel becomes part of our DNA.
:)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Recently was taking a long ride when my fuel light came on, on my Indian scout. I ran out of fuel 1/2 mile from the closest fuel stop. I had been creeping up to 100 mph quite unintentionally and had assumed there were lots of fuel stops...not. And never mind that I'm quite corpulant. Nuff said, I took it easier on my return and my consumption dropped as I kept at the speed limit. Gotta say though, sure enjoyed the ride going NW on US 87 tween San Angelo & Big Spring in West Texas.
Got great millage pushing her that half mile.

Great article as usual Mike.
OCR
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by OCR »

Mpg is really not that important anyway. :IDTS:
It's smiles per miles that is really the most important.
Some days I have a really droopy wrist and only manage to go 90 miles before reserve on my CXc and others I can go 110 before reserve.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

77Gowing wrote:Recently was taking a long ride when my fuel light came on, on my Indian scout. I ran out of fuel 1/2 mile from the closest fuel stop. I had been creeping up to 100 mph quite unintentionally and had assumed there were lots of fuel stops...not. And never mind that I'm quite corpulant. Nuff said, I took it easier on my return and my consumption dropped as I kept at the speed limit. Gotta say though, sure enjoyed the ride going NW on US 87 tween San Angelo & Big Spring in West Texas.
Got great millage pushing her that half mile.

Great article as usual Mike.

Great story! :)
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

OCR wrote:Mpg is really not that important anyway. :IDTS:
It's smiles per miles that is really the most important.
Some days I have a really droopy wrist and only manage to go 90 miles before reserve on my CXc and others I can go 110 before reserve.
Yup. Definitely. I am encouraged that folks understand this issue more than I supposed they did. Very smart bunch, this. In powersports, among the current crop of new or relatively new riders, fuel economy is a very sensitive issue. They regard it as almost an entitlement. That whole Millennial thing maybe... :-) Interestingly, Kawasaki broke the industry rule regarding referencing fuel economy during the recession and posted mpg figures on their public website. First time in their history for sure and I suspect any of the Big Fours'. On my trips around the country for Kawasaki I used to log on and show the page to my seminar attendees. The veteran dealer members were astonished, and other corporate dweebs like myself couldn't believe a major manufacturer would extend themselves like that. Come 2012 the page disappeared and nothing like it has been seen since.
Last edited by mikenixon on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

I have been very fortunate this year to have all four of my vintage Honda's on the road and they range from a large CB inline four DOHC to a CX Eurosport and two GL four's. They all vary in the mileage and fun factor with their own little quirks and riding pleasures. I do try to keep them all well maintained and check the gas mileage from time to time, which can vary from the low 40's to the mid 50's. I have to agree that it is more about smiles per gallon than anything else while out enjoying the ride.
Funny thing is my GL1200 actually get the best MPG, yet is the largest displacement of all the motors. Probably since it is more a cruiser than a fully twisted wrist style of riding that is done, yet I do like to crank on it too from time to time. Have to keep the carbon deposits at bay. :-D

A big tip of the hat to Mike for the Hylomar suggestion in sorting out an issue with the vacuum diaphragms on the GL1200 after a carb rebuild.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)