Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Re: Powersports mechanics

Post by rcmatt007 »

In my sig line is what I feel it takes to be an expert.

It miffs me that corporate medicine often wants to pay less for "mid-levels" who think they can learn in 18 months what took me 7 years of training, continuous board recertification and now 9 years of teaching residents to learn how to do.

And then there is Doctor Google.... but don't get me started
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

rcmatt007 wrote:In my sig line is what I feel it takes to be an expert.

It miffs me that corporate medicine often wants to pay less for "mid-levels" who think they can learn in 18 months what took me 7 years of training, continuous board recertification and now 9 years of teaching residents to learn how to do.

And then there is Doctor Google.... but don't get me started
Well, they get what they pay for. Would be nice to have a list of those with and without experience.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

mikenixon wrote: Watching a movie. Scene with a mechanic portrayed in a caricaturist fashion. You know: low IQ, high school dropout, uninquisitive. Revolting, this perception of career mechanics. But there it is.
I once saw a video of Smokey Yunick where he talked a bit about his early years of racing. He said racers and mechanics back then had the same social status as "Monbackers" He said for those of you who don't know what a Monbacker is, that's the guy who stands behind a garbage truck telling the driver to "come on back, come on back" as the driver backs up the truck. Smokey had a very unique way of putting things into context. :-D
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

JSBail wrote:Smokey Yunick...
A talented, underappreciated man, there. I always think of him sloshing his cylinder heads back and forth in a tub of sandy water, breaking the rules without breaking them. And his rudimentary, hard-to detect ground effects. And most of all, his use of the leakdown tester in an age when aircraft mechanics were almost the only ones familiar with it.
JSBail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JSBail »

mikenixon wrote:
JSBail wrote:Smokey Yunick...
A talented, underappreciated man, there. I always think of him sloshing his cylinder heads back and forth in a tub of sandy water, breaking the rules without breaking them. And his rudimentary, hard-to detect ground effects. And most of all, his use of the leakdown tester in an age when aircraft mechanics were almost the only ones familiar with it.
He was definitely WAY smarter than most give him credit for, being he had no formal engineering education he relied solely on common sense. I read his book "best damn garage in town", not only was it very entertaining to read but it also showed just how full of a life he lived. He was also very willing to talk to fans because he understood that it's the fans that make the sport happen, I actually met him once at the Indianapolis motor speedway during qualifying many moons ago. He was very gracious and had no problem having a picture taken of both him and myself. I on the other hand was so gobsmacked standing next to someone I thought as legendary that I couldn't get a word out of my mouth without tripping over my tongue.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Yup. :)