Tips and Recommendations from Guru Mike Nixon

Moderator: Whiskerfish

mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Re: Carbon

Post by mikenixon »

Solina Dave wrote:Hi Mike,

I have a '78 GL, since new, with many miles. For the past couple of years I've been quite diligent in filling up with premium fuel. I've been doing so as a way to avoid fuel with ethanol content, which is supposedly harmful to early GL engine components. A lot of this thread is way over my head, but It seems like a trade-off is apparent. Could you comment on that for me?

Thanks............ anim-cheers1 ...Dave
I think you can get non-ethanol fuel in other grades than premium, but it really is moot. There are no parts in a Wing carburetor that are affected in any way by ethanol gas.
Solina Dave
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Solina Dave »

mikenixon wrote: I think you can get non-ethanol fuel in other grades than premium, but it really is moot. There are no parts in a Wing carburetor that are affected in any way by ethanol gas.
If you can, I don't see it in Canada. I used regular octane fuel with 10% ethanol for years with no apparent ill effects. But suddenly everyone was freaking out over ethanol content, and I hopped on the band wagon. I saw mention of performance variations with ethanol laced fuel as opposed to non-ethanol fuel, one of which was minor mileage differences. But mainly it was concerns about fuel system damage with its use. You say that's not the case.
So I guess I'm wasting my money buying premium fuel. Correct? giveup
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Solina Dave wrote:So I guess I'm wasting my money buying premium fuel. Correct?
I would say so.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Hello Mike.
Here is an observation I made last night that you might be interested in commenting on.
I had pulled the engine out of my 1975 trike to replace its alternator stator.
After reinstalling the engine, I remembered I hadn't removed the old exhaust port gaskets. Lying on my back on the floor next to trike, I utilized my cell phone flashlight to see and remove the old exhaust ring gaskets and noted the #1 cylinder exhaust valve underside was visible. A perfect opportunity to examine the valve and exhaust port carbon deposit situation.
Then I looked into #3 cylinder's exhaust port to examine the same areas. Seeing a difference in valve coloration, I took some photos in both exhaust ports.
The number 1 cylinder has the light colored, closed exhaust valve. Number 3 is the darker, partially opened exhaust valve.
20190611_181429.jpg
20190611_181429.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 336 times
20190611_180707.jpg
20190611_180707.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 336 times
I know that people beat to death
about "reading" spark plugs. But, feel there must some tangible value in "reading" valves, too.

This now 35,000ish miles engine runs, I think, well.
It always receives 87 octane fuel. The 1976 LTD carburetors were serviced by me and resealed with Randakk kit components. I feel that I did a good job.
In the past when diagnostically tested, the engine had consistently presented exceptionally minimal (5%) cylinder leak down test results, but I never got an opportunity last year (broken leg ) to retest cylinder compression results after changing its valve lash clearance to 0.006".
Historically a Very small amount of engine oil consumption over 3,000 miles.
As far as I know, the cylinder heads have not been removed, and the valve stem oil seals haven't been replaced. At least, not by me since I received it with 7,831 miles on the odometer.

I believe what I would want to know is why there would be such a notable difference in both valves coloration, the difference in amount of carbon accumulation underside both valves, but the exhaust valve ports appear to have equally significant amounts and coloration of carbon deposits.

Regrettably, my son arrived to assist me to put the exhaust system on, and I neglected to examine #s 2 and 4 cylinders'espective exhaust port carbon accumulation, before installing that side exhaust, too.
If I weren't so sore from taking a tumble last night, I'd get back down on the floor and pull that header off to examine the 2 and 4 exhaust valves, too.

Thank you for imparting the wealth of your knowledge and experience so generously to us, too!
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

Hi, gltriker!

Very standard appearances in my experience. Very typical. And healthy. I wouldn't try too hard to make anything of this. I don't mean anything condescending here, but these bikes aren't space shuttles. Production engines especially are built to a transportation ethic, not a rigorously scientific one. One shouldn't expect picture-perfect similiarities from cylinder to cylinder. Chalk it up to a combination of temperature and exhaust flow differences if you like, and leave it at that. :)
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Perfect! :oldies

I was trying to convince myself that I didn't really need to get back on the floor and pull the 2-4 header off to examine the appearance of the opposite side exhaust ports, too.

I need to get it totally reassembled and RIDE IT while the sun is shining!

No, I don't perceive your replies to my inquiries as condescending , at all!
It benefits everyone that follows these technical troubleshooting topics. tumb2
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

:)
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

mikenixon wrote:
Solina Dave wrote:So I guess I'm wasting my money buying premium fuel. Correct?
I would say so.
Well I'll be... I think I got onto my 'Wing during the ethanol boycott due to "carb issues" and adding a couple splashes of MMO to the gas to keep things lubricated.

I went along with using premium fuel, but didn't see much merit in using the MMO. I just add my Sta-Bil at every fill so it's ready for storage at a moment's notice - never know when the riding season will come to an abrupt end.
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

bigscheaf wrote:I just add my Sta-Bil at every fill so it's ready for storage at a moment's notice - never know when the riding season will come to an abrupt end.
Exactly.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

actually, I have a couple of tanks that will soon become lawn mower fuel Darn John Deere will run on almost anything
mikenixon
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by mikenixon »

LOL! My bad gas mule is my GMC pickup. It gets all my unwanted fuel.
flyday58
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by flyday58 »

bigscheaf wrote:I went along with using premium fuel, but didn't see much merit in using the MMO. I just add my Sta-Bil at every fill so it's ready for storage at a moment's notice - never know when the riding season will come to an abrupt end.
Like mine did ten days ago. " :guitar I fought the SAW and the SAW won! :guitar " Nearly lost three fingers on my right hand to my table saw on the last cut of the project I was working on. " :guitar It's a cruel, cruel summer... :guitar "
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

flyday58 wrote:
bigscheaf wrote:I went along with using premium fuel, but didn't see much merit in using the MMO. I just add my Sta-Bil at every fill so it's ready for storage at a moment's notice - never know when the riding season will come to an abrupt end.
Like mine did ten days ago. " :guitar I fought the SAW and the SAW won! :guitar " Nearly lost three fingers on my right hand to my table saw on the last cut of the project I was working on. " :guitar It's a cruel, cruel summer... :guitar "
Now that really sucks! I hope you heal well and quickly!
flyday58
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by flyday58 »

Thanks, Todd.
bigscheaf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by bigscheaf »

flyday58 wrote: Like mine did ten days ago. " :guitar I fought the SAW and the SAW won! :guitar " Nearly lost three fingers on my right hand to my table saw on the last cut of the project I was working on. " :guitar It's a cruel, cruel summer... :guitar "
Holy smokes! Hope the path to recovery is swift so you can get back out on the road.