Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Caution #1

Post by pistolpete »

Cyborg,

That is very true except at 35 plus years with barn time these can and will become quite brittle. I have found these kinds of tears in the rubber can lead to splitting and air leakage. This is especially true, in my experience with chromed runners. The plating is applied by masking the rubber and the solutions used to plate can leach into and affect the bond of the rubber and the aluminum. Twisting can be a significant cause for this to occur.
At least this has been my experience after a good number of observations on the test engine.

Pete
Pistol
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

When putting them back on I use a pot of boiling water..dip in for 30 seconds and you are usually good to go..longer doesn't hurt either.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

you are correct Pete. some of the rubber is hard and brittle. and i would not twist them. the problem with twisting is that the alignment notch has to be soft enough to jump over its seat. if they are to hard to twist, i will also pry them off. i actually try not to do anything to them while the carbs are on the bike. i also have no love for the chrome ones. but i do like to polish them. but i never take the rubber off of the metal
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

I am with you Doug on the chrome plated intakes. We have found and replaced a significant number of them because they leak.
Pistol
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Here at the polishing shop, the chrome ones go in the dump. Seem to leak too often, and once the chrome bubbles or flakes, they are impossible to shine.