Carb rebuild savings?

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Carb rebuild savings?

Post by pistolpete »

How would you fellows feel if I offered an economical rebuild for the 75 - 83 carburetors?
What I can do is accurately bench sync the set at a reduction in price over the engine sync/bal option.
I have done this many, many times and we are able to get the set sync'd to within Honda spec of 2"/hg.

I am very much interested in your welcomed reply.
Thanks for your support.

Pete
Pistol
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Carb rebuild savings?

Post by pidjones »

Sounds good for those with tight budget and not stubbornly tied to doing it themselves. I've wondered why a vacuum cleaner, throttle valve, some PVC fittings and flex hose couldn't be used for a bench sync.
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

Pidjones,

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Pete
Pistol
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Good suggestion.

If you'd like to offer a reduction in price to forgo the engine sync in lieu of a bench sync, I think many would take advantage of that. When I sent my carbs to you, I'd have elected that option as I like to sync my own. For those who feel more comfortable taking their bike to a local shop for a sync, I'm sure they'd be happy to have you perform that service at the time of the rebuild and would be happy to pay you the additional fee.

So, as long as we're on the topic and you're in the mood for input ;) I'd like to suggest that you provide your customers with a more formalized receipt from your shop when you return a set of carbs. (All I have from our transaction is some email communications between you and I which doesn't prove that the work was ever done.)

Carbs rebuilt by yourself and Mike Nixon are bound to be a positive selling point when the bike is passed on to a new owner. Handing that potential buyer a comprehensive document detailing what was done to the carbs, what was found and corrected, parts replaced and the final price for services would be most beneficial. After all, having work done by Pistol Pete and Mike Nixon is a bragging point and something any seller can use as a marketing tool.
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

Sounds like someone has a new flow bench?

I completely agree with Placerville regarding bragging rights.
All the best with your new venture Petey! lolol
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

Placerville wrote: I'd like to suggest that you provide your customers with a more formalized receipt from your shop when you return a set of carbs. (All I have from our transaction is some email communications between you and I which doesn't prove that the work was ever done.)
NewWinger wrote: I completely agree with Placerville regarding bragging rights.
Thanks to you both for the input and with the next rebuild I will offer a printable receipt for the transaction. If any of you wish a receipt please let me know and I will get it to you via email.

I appreciate your time to help me on this.

Pete
Btw, click my ad below and take a look at the test page.
Pistol
delling3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by delling3 »

Hello Pete-

I for one value the fact that you engine sync the carbs. I don't know how much you would be able to cut the cost of your services by, but it would have to be substantial for me to entertain the idea. You know what your customers are asking for, and if this is what they want who am I to argue, but for me, this is a major plus.

Pistol Pete N' Moose Rock!
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

delling3 wrote:I for one value the fact that you engine sync the carbs.
Actually, I would be offering a choice with a reduction in price for those who would like to get their hands in too.
And thank you my friend for the very kind words.

Pete
Pistol
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i, for one, always do a bench sync, and in most cases when i do a sync on the engine, the carbs are pretty much right on. but a friend of mine who had a shop, and did carbs for a living, always preferred the have the bike the carbs were going on to do a sync. if he only had carbs, he had a bech engine that was in perfect tune, that he set them up on before sending them out. the reason? so the customer who claimed that the engine STILL didn't run right, and blamed the carbs, could be dealt with ,with confidence.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

CYBORG wrote:i, for one, always do a bench sync, and in most cases when i do a sync on the engine, the carbs are pretty much right on. but a friend of mine who had a shop, and did carbs for a living, always preferred the have the bike the carbs were going on to do a sync. if he only had carbs, he had a bech engine that was in perfect tune, that he set them up on before sending them out. the reason? so the customer who claimed that the engine STILL didn't run right, and blamed the carbs, could be dealt with ,with confidence.

Not apples to apples but I have taken a customers race engine and put it in my chassis before. Ran the numbers I told them it would in my bike. Would not in theirs. Even though they may be lighter than me sometimes. But you get the idea. ;)
BruteSquad
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by BruteSquad »

pistolpete wrote:
delling3 wrote:I for one value the fact that you engine sync the carbs.
Actually, I would be offering a choice with a reduction in price for those who would like to get their hands in too.
And thank you my friend for the very kind words.

Pete
What would this include or require on our end. I definitely want to get into the carbs and do it myself, but another part of me knows it will take a lot longer that way. I don't think I want to do the full rebuild, but would certainly entertain some other option.
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

BruteSquad,
You would send the set w/o intakes. All PPS services will be done to your set except engine sync/bal. It will be very close and you can finish them after installation.
Email us for pricing.
Pete
Pistol