Caution #2

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Caution #2

Post by pistolpete »

Lets say you have just very carefully cleaned and serviced your carb set or had them serviced by a pro. The carbs have reputable seals/gaskets such as Randakks Master Kit parts or OEM parts installed. You performed the off idle fix, bench sync/bal the set and successfully put the set back together and it is ready to run on your bike. From my perspective a freshly cleaned and properly serviced set of carburetors should never have gasoline run through them that has any fuel cleaner in solution in the fuel. There are some great products out there and most of them work well, but suspended materials can and will enter your set and cause issues with the carbs. These among others can be sticking vacuum slides, clogged idle jets, plugged float valve screens, etc.
The carbs are designed to use clean fuel and clean fuel only. Stabilizers such as Sta-Bil and other good products can be used later to assure that the fuel remains in good condition for use in the carb set.

So from Pistol Pete's, we wholly recommend clean fresh fuel be used to bring your set back to life from the very first start up and continued use.

Please share your comments here with us.

Pete
Pistol
El_Taco
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Caution #2

Post by El_Taco »

Agreed, and before using cleaners otherwise it's a good idea to replace the fuel filter first. I have nearly a quarter million miles on my truck, and it's never seen an additive. I hardly consider them necessary.