Anyone have a way to clean the fuel tubes in the tank

Tips and Recommendations from Guru Pistol Pete

Moderator: Whiskerfish

pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Anyone have a way to clean the fuel tubes in the tank

Post by pistolpete »

I found a way to do this with great success but don't want to cover ground if it has already been presented.

Pistol
Pistol
UltraRunner
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Anyone have a way to clean the fuel tubes in the tank

Post by UltraRunner »

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I searched for the topic a year ago and didn't find anything pertinent. I'd like to read about your method. Thanks.
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

I used a piece of speedometer cable and an cordless drill and lots of acetone in a squirt bottle. lots of in and outs and flood to get through. I did this before coming to this site and never posted anything.
What have you found? Interested!
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

salukispeed wrote:I used a piece of speedometer cable and an cordless drill and lots of acetone in a squirt bottle. lots of in and outs and flood to get through. I did this before coming to this site and never posted anything.
What have you found? Interested!
salukispeed,

Bingo :-D :-D :-D

Like you though I found the cable twisting/whipping was an issue, so I cut the cable to a 5" length, a 10" length, a 15" length.
I ground the ends flat on each one and then ground the best end of each like a flat screw driver and as sharp as possible.
Don't worry about the frayed cable that may be present as it helps to dig the gook out. Of course the frays should be minimal.
Go to Auto Zone and buy the Auto Zone carb cleaner (yellow/black spray can). CAUTION: This carb cleaner is aggressive and it will remove the black paint on the outside of the tank when it contacts the surface.
Turn the tank on its side so that the outlets are facing upward. Spray in some cleaner, wait 15 min and start with the 5" length.
After a try or two using more carb cleaner, it will bottom out at the drill motor chuck. Be careful not to let the chuck injure the surface at the opening.
Fill again with carb cleaner, wait 15 min and use the 10" cable. Same method as before.
Fill again and repeat with the 15"
Be careful not to injure the screens inside.
If the screens are clear already, you should be able to see the end of the cable come thru.

Hint: a short piece of 3/8" O.D. plastic hose will keep the hose from whipping and the hose can be held with your free hand.

Pistol and Moose
Pistol
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Nice
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Just had to do this myself, and used a speedo cable off a go kart. the reserve tube was ok, water flowed out, but for the main tube it was only a drip. Sprayed carb cleaner in, not sure if it did anything, but then ran the cable through with the drill in reverse. After a few attempts, the cable broke through and you could feel it when you 'hit' the screens. Because the cable was thin, I then used it in the normal direction in the drill. This did cause it to start to unravel, but my thinking was that it would then be rubbing on all the inner walls of the tube. Put the drill back in reverse and the cable sorts itself out, (to a fashion). I removed the cable and squirted more carb cleaner through the tubes. Run the cable through a few more times, and Bob's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt. Very good idea about the outer tube though, or you could use an old cable with it's conduit.

action1 action1 action1