lanterns ?

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

lanterns ?

Post by Brant »

Anyone into Coleman lanterns ? I have a modest collection of about 20. I enjoy getting a crusty one and bringing it back to life.
Attachments
lanterns.jpg
lanterns.jpg (99.67 KiB) Viewed 607 times
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: lanterns ?

Post by gltriker »

tumb2 interesting hobby!
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

What sort of flasher unit do you use with those?
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

No lanterns in the house but I recently picked up a rather nice Coleman style US M1950 military camp stove made by Rogers in 1964 Runs on CF or regular unleaded. It is claimed even leaded is ok but not a logical choice. People at oldcolemanparts had everything needed.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

don't collect them but I spent many an hour fighting with them trying to light them in Scouts and the military.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Shed some light on how to make the globes last longer, if there’s any. I like them, but every time I go to use it, they’re ripped.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

Jeez Brant, wish we were closer to one another. I have several old green Colemans in various states of disrepair, I'd be more than happy to give to you. I know one of them is older than 50 years as it was the "family" lantern for camping trips when I was a "little shaver."
Well...at 5'8" and 135#s, I'm still a "little shaver" just a MUCH OLDER "little shaver!"

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Post by Brant »

gltriker wrote:tumb2 interesting hobby!
Its fun. A lot like a goldwing hobby. They are worth what you are willing to pay. Need tinkering with from time to time but run great when maintained. And barn finds are the best !
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Post by Brant »

77Gowing wrote:What sort of flasher unit do you use with those?
Just a little extra fuel and they they REALLY flash when you light them.
NGWclub on Facebook
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Post by Brant »

salukispeed wrote:No lanterns in the house but I recently picked up a rather nice Coleman style US M1950 military camp stove made by Rogers in 1964 Runs on CF or regular unleaded. It is claimed even leaded is ok but not a logical choice. People at oldcolemanparts had everything needed.
I'd like to see a pic. I'm trying to not be a stovie but I have three camp stoves and two single burners. oldcolemansparts.com is awesome !!
NGWclub on Facebook
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Post by Brant »

ericheath wrote:Shed some light on how to make the globes last longer, if there’s any. I like them, but every time I go to use it, they’re ripped.
The mantels? Some people say you can spray them with hairspray and that will help. They are fragile. Some last longer than others, it seems. If you can find some old silk ones, they are good. Look on ebay for peerless mantels, they say those are good.
NGWclub on Facebook
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors

Post by Brant »

Dog Boy wrote:Jeez Brant, wish we were closer to one another. I have several old green Colemans in various states of disrepair, I'd be more than happy to give to you. I know one of them is older than 50 years as it was the "family" lantern for camping trips when I was a "little shaver."
Well...at 5'8" and 135#s, I'm still a "little shaver" just a MUCH OLDER "little shaver!"

AL
The oldest one I have is the nickle plated one in the picture. A 1938 model 242B. Paul (gl242 in Colo.) scored it for me. The next oldest are two 1955 models. Not super valuable, but the older they are the more collectible they are. Like old goldwings. :-D If you get ambitious and want to PM me some pics I'd take a look. If its something I don't have I'd pay for the ride. I'm trying to be a little more selective. If I'm not careful, these things will push the wings out of the garage.
NGWclub on Facebook
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

[quote="Dog Boy"]Jeez Brant, wish we were closer to one another. I have several old green Colemans in various states of disrepair, I'd be more than happy to give to you. I know one of them is older than 50 years as it was the "family" lantern for camping trips when I was a "little shaver."

I keep thinking I want to find one but am afraid of another hobby. If Brant is not willing to take them all I would like to stop out and flap lips about old wings and even look at the lantern's next time I run out to Braidwood
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I ended up with one that my parents had when I was growing up... as a "bigger than usual" top piece... worked great a couple of years ago when an ice storm took out our power
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

Lets face it! The mantels are nothing more than ash after the first light up. Any vibration results in worthlessness!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield

Return to “Trains, Planes, and Automobiles”