Looking for a retirement truck/SUV Toyota

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Looking for a retirement truck/SUV Toyota

Post by raiddrten »

There comes a time in life that you need a dependable car that you really have time to keep super nice and that time for us is retirement. I have been less than impressed with the brand we have been driving in that they do not seem to fix known problems of little parts that produce big repair bills. No need to mention the brand and thus cause a fuss.

On the recommendation of a mechanic and what problems he sees, we are looking at Toyota. i thought that maybe a nice Tacoma truck is something my wife would put up with and our daughter could inherit. Had some business in Richmond, IN and stopped at a Toyota/Nissan dealer. I could not hardly enter the truck as my knees would not go under the steering wheel. All Toyota would have to do is add a telescoping wheel and/or make the thing go higher to get my knees under. I also knew that the hood bulges interfering with seeing the close pavement would quickly disqualify this one for Barbara. I guess on the knees under the wheel problem--what i am saying is that when you get older, you have to be able to slide in like an old person with a bad back. After all my back was hurting a bit that day, and it probably will get worse as I age

I looked at SUV's and while impressed with the big one sitting over and actual truck frame, the Rav4 looked like a good compromise.They had a 2018 and a 2019 and the 2019 will soon be available with hybrid at 40MPG while the standard engine is 30MPG. Whele the steering wheel did not tilt high enough, it did extend outenough to get my knees under easily--a solution for the Tacoma if they want to sell to old guys.
Anyway, the 2018 had the same bulging hood as the Tacoma and some sort of goofy radio that looked added on--like someone added an etch-a sketch screen by chopping a hole in the dash and jamming one in. The 2019 had both of those problems cured, but if you want total compatibility with a phone running navigation and such, you need an Apple I-Phone. Of course it has its own Navigation system, but that seems like buying a Garmin GPS that no one uses anymore, when your phone can find anything on the planet and link turn by turn directions.

While the salesman was signing some papers for a sale to another customer, I did look at the full size truck and it fit me like a glove, so I know they can get the ergos correct or at least get them closer to correct dealing with the space limitations inherent in each platform. I will say that the 2019 Rav4 is a big step forward from the previous model in being able to see your surroundings.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Looking for a retirement truck/SUV Toyota

Post by 5speed »

I bought my wife a 96 Rav4 in 98. It was pretty bare bones, no ac,power options,etc but that truck was an unstoppable little beast.
She drove it for 10 years and in that 10 years I replaced the rad, the fill neck for the gas tank (poor design and it rusted out) and the battery along with the normal wear parts.
when we sold it it still had the factory front steering and suspension parts under it.
I loved the Toyota dependability but being 6'4"..I wasn't fond of the lack of room.
I drive an 08 sierra crew cab and for the ease of getting in and out of it, I will always own a full size truck.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Couple years ago we looked at basically every small to mid sized SUV. The biggest issue I had was a blind spot created by the frame around the 3rd window on the passenger side. It seemed to me that they all had it. I use mirrors but I also turn my head when changing lanes and a blind spot big enough to hide a bike is not acceptable to me. We ended up with a nissan Pathfinder but only had it a couple of years. It did not impress me. About a year ago we traded it for a new 4 door wrangler. She is Very happy with that so far. I do remember driving a Toy highlander. It was out of my price range but boy it rode so very nice and seemed to have plenty of room inside.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

We had an 06 jeep compass. the absolute worst vehicle I've ever owned. The road noise was unbelievable. In fifth gear it was reving 3500 rpm and the gears howled like they were square.
We got rid of it and I bought a 2010 GMC Terrain for she who must be obeyed and she absolutely loves it. It is very comfortable, has as much room as you would expect from a midsize suv / cross over. Ours is AWD with the V6.
I did a bit of research and from everything I read the 4 cyl is extremely under powered.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

I bought a 2006 Toyota Landcruiser new. It was a 3 litre 4 cylinder D4D diesel.
Fuel economy was dismal. Not sure what it did with the fuel, I know it didn't turn it into power. Not particularly reliable either, windscreen wipers packed up at just over 100,000 km and shortly afterwards bearings collapsed in the rear axle.
I had to foot the bill for both of these as the warranty was 3 years or 100,000km.
Toyota repairs are not cheap.
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

I have owned I think 5 Toyota's. A 70's SR5 Long bed pickup, a 82 Tercel Station Wagon, a 70's Corolla, a T-100, and finally the Tundra. 4 of the 5 were fantastic mechanically. The Tundra rear bearings went out at about 40 thousand miles and the first Transmission went out at about 36 thousand miles. The second Transmission went out at about 80 thousand miles. Even with all of that I still loved the truck and would have bought another except for the premium pricing of the newer ones. I ended up with a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 for about 8 grand less. That was 9 years ago. The Ram now has 120,000 miles and so far has been very good to me. Replace the front calipers ever 3-4 years due to sticking and a couple of broken exhaust studs have been about it.

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have found with the mid+ size SUVS they have that lousy hood hump issue. We actually loved our Toyota sienna mini-van, but we needed something that could haul a 17' bass boat or a two MC trailer. Otherwise our Ford explorer (with trailer package transmission) has been good to us.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Where did you find a 17 foot bass ?? :shock:

Gord(maybe 17 inches?)Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

:roll: actually a gift from my dad who stopped using a couple of years before my mom died.... I say "gift" considering all the money it took to get it working
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

We have driven a Chevy something or other and the sales lady just wanted to sell us on how to hook the smartphone app to the radio. I advised her that most men wanted to know Horsepower and gas mileage first with how to change the oil filter a close second. The rav 4 has a complete plastic deck beneath the engine There must be a removable port under there somewhere to get at the oil filter. You really have to wonder what the labor standard might be for replacing exhaust and brake lines and such things.

nobody is getting my business without me being able to see at least a video of performing service on their vehicle On second thought, there may be something on youtube....
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Many Sales folk have that Disposable world mentality. Why would you ever plan on doing your own maintenance or keeping something past 3 or 4 years.

:IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS: :IDTS:

Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

I have a 06 Tacoma that I bought in 09 with 33K on it.

It now has 180K and running like a top.

Replaced steering rack, shocks and brakes (twice) and three sets of tires.

Toyota put a NEW frame under it last month on a class action suit over frame rust. Got new frame, lower ball joints and A frame , body mounts and brake and fuel lines too.

Going to be in the family for a long time now...
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

My wife and I bought a 2010 RAV4 a couple years ago. We were the 3rd owners and it had always been dealer serviced. It has the V6 motor. Not sure what the gas mileage is but it runs like a champ! Lots of getup and go. It has a great deal of cargo space and lots of amenities. I only drive it on road trips and it is a super little road trip car.
They tell me 2010 was the last year for the V6 and many people are hanging on to them. We’ll drive it til it quits. Looks like they mount a donut spare underneath now like all the other small SUVs
HoganJr
1991 GL1500