Refurbing an R/C mower

A place for mechanical discussions that are not motorcycle related. Boats, Cadillac's, mowers, tractors, Trucks Et all.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Refurbing an R/C mower

Post by Whiskerfish »

Did not know you could still get oxide primer. Looking good!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This was some old stuff I happened to already have but lots of places still make oxide primer.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I’m for the seat, a cowl, some mini handlebars and a troll doll to sit there. Kids would love it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah, but do I really want to attract kids to a mower?

We've been busy shopping for a car a lot of this week so progress on the mower has slowed, not a huge deal since I'm also waiting for the red paint to dry. I figured it would take longer to mask it and clean up the gun than it would to just brush it on (not to mention that you get a thicker coat with a brush) but as I was brushing the red on I was thinking I probably should have sprayed for faster curing or at least decanted some and added Japan dryer. It rained the evening after I painted it and was really damp for over a day so the paint was still tacky 2 days later. But it has started hardening nicely now so I can work on other things around it.

I did scrub the oxidation off of the plastic parts (green pad & mineral spirits) and waxed them so they are no longer Barbie pink and sanded the remaining paint (maybe powder coat?) and the rust off of the steel parts of the motors and sprayed them with a rattle can.
BTW: This is the one that still has the manual lock. Lee originally had both manual and electric locks on both motors but the electric ones kept kicking in & out at slow speeds and it only needs one to keep it from rolling when parked.
14 Motor painted.JPG
14 Motor painted.JPG (155.33 KiB) Viewed 764 times
I have the box for the electronics but I need to consult Lee about some of the wiring before I start cutting the piece they will mount on (hopefully today).
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

On to the controls. Lee had them temporarily fastened a stick with electric tape to hold the receivers up above the mower and this is what they looked like after I cleaned the goo from the tape off. The large object on the right is the "Sabertooth 2x25", a dual motor driver designed for controlling wheel/motor assemblies in high powered robotics. The smaller object on the left is the 6 channel R/C receiver and the secondary receiver (helps insure that it doesn't loose the signal) is hanging over the edge of the table.
15 Electronics (as used by Lee).jpg
15 Electronics (as used by Lee).jpg (203 KiB) Viewed 747 times
I wanted something more permanent so I cut a support for the electronics from an old truck mudflap to (firm enough not to flop around but enough give not to hang up if it goes under a low branch) and made up longer wires to run through some heat shrink between the receiver (attached with 2 sided tape) and the controller (bolted on). I also mounted the main switch, circuit breaker and voltmeter in the box Lee printed and made up the power wires.
16 Electronics (new mount & wiring).jpg
16 Electronics (new mount & wiring).jpg (189.93 KiB) Viewed 747 times
After that I bolted the front wheels & their frame on and noticed that the bolts he had used to attach the black plates to the frame were too short (only a couple of threads into the nuts); I had to get some small bolts for attaching the boxes to the support anyway so I picked up some 5/16 x 2.5" ones for the plates while I was there.
I bolted the wheel/motor assemblies on and started mounting the electronics, shown here with the wires from the motors shortened and connected. I fastened the secondary receiver into the small plastic box at right angles to the main receiver and bolted the box to the support.
17 Mounting electronics.jpg
17 Mounting electronics.jpg (155.28 KiB) Viewed 747 times
After the wiring was done and the box that covers the controller bolted on I shortened the mower's throttle cable and mounted it's control, put the gas tank/shroud and pull start back onto the top of the motor, re-installed the wheelie bar, lowered it to the ground and put the batteries in so we could test it (initially with a block under the rear to lift the wheels off of the ground).
But by then it was too dark out for pics so they will have to wait for next time....
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

tumb2 tumb2 tumb2 tumb2 tumb2

sparkyrasmus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by sparkyrasmus »

:popcornx2 :popcornx2
Goldwings don't accelerate, they gain inertia.

1978 GL1000 - almost stock - needs a head replaced, parts are ready to install!
1979 GL1000 - Winter project/parts bike - custom "Busted"
1983 GL1100 Standard- raised from the dead and back to organ donor status :cry:
And the newest acquisition, 1979 XS 650F to be a sidecar tug. crossy.gif
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

18 Completed - for now.jpg
18 Completed - for now.jpg (257.24 KiB) Viewed 721 times

The gas mower has a couple of problems:
It is surging. I had the carb off and sprayed cleaner through it even though it looked pretty clean inside and that seemed to help so today's job is going to be learning about adjusting the carbs and possibly the governor on Honda GCV160 engines. Worst case replacement carbs are under $15 on Amazon.
The fuel tank (which is integral with the fan cover) looked OK when I cleaned it up but the morning after I filled it the top was cracked and the next day one of the cracks was about 6" long. I found several places online that have new ones for about $100 US + shipping but that isn't going to happen when I found another place selling complete new GCV160 engines for $249 US and Princess Auto has an engine I think will fir for $199 CAD.
I put the plastic welding tip in the big soldering gun and patched it for now using material from the edge I trimmed off when I thought I needed more room for the batteries
19 Welded tank.JPG
19 Welded tank.JPG (132.72 KiB) Viewed 721 times
It has had gas in it for a couple of days and hasn't cracked more but I don't trust it long term so I've ordered one of these (approx. 4"x6"x3" high) and in the spring I'll cut off the original tank and mount the new one, probably to the blue frame near the front of the engine.
20 - New tank ordered.jpg
20 - New tank ordered.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 721 times
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/261265702768

I have cut the grass with it and it worked pretty well, even with the surging. But I have to learn how to drive it in a straight line before I attempt video. The hard part is that you get used to steering it when it is going away from you and then when you turn it around to come back the steering is opposite (or at least seems that way because its left is now on your right). I'm getting a bit better so I just need more practice...
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yea RC aircraft have the same learning curve!!

On those Honda Engines the ones I have played with the spring between the throttle butterfly and the governor gets weak and can cause surging. Something to look at.

77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

on an old Briggs & Stratton engine I had a similar issue. The speed governor had a spring attached to a small wing or wind vane. Taking a closer look I discovered dried on dirt/mud, which of course changed the weight statically and inertia dynamically. I took the wind vane of, washed all the gunck off of it and viola, it fixed the lagging govenor.

Neat project Bob, good backyard engineering.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This one isn't that muddy yet but after messing with it for a while yesterday I am sure the problem is related to one of the springs related to the governor & throttle. The fine one that the linkage passes through (Briggs engines have something similar) is missing one of the ends/hooks so is doing nothing and the heavier one looks like it has been stretched.

What is truly annoying is that I can find whole carbs for under $12 CAD (about 9 US) on eBay but all of the springs I can find online are asking more than that just for shipping.
But that only encourages me to call the local mower places and see if one of them can get what I need, which is probably what I should have done in the first place.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Our trials and tribulations teach us all our lives. I bet your conclusion that a local shop has what you need either new or used is spot on. Excellent idea Bob and I'd lay good odds that you're correct.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
Whiskerfish
President
President

Post by Whiskerfish »

Can easy spend 20 in gas driving around looking for the right spring for a $12 Carb! Frustrating but we are being funneled into a disposable world.

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

If the carbs came with the springs I would have ordered one but they don't.

We spent today picking up Kay's "new" car (2012 Sorento, interior immaculate, pretty clean underneath, body just scruffy enough to justify having it painted something other than white)(why are most of the cars these days black, white or gray?), then driving to her mechanic to let him know what we got and dinner out. I'll call around tomorrow.
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Whiskerfish wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm Can easy spend 20 in gas driving around looking for the right spring for a $12 Carb! Frustrating but we are being funneled into a disposable world.
True, but some of us are caigey.
When I got my first home at 21, I was poor. My dad taught me how to fix cars, lawn mowers, washing machines, gas dryers and dishwashers. He was poor too, born in the depression of sharecroppers.
So, when I had problems with my appliances, I would go out on trash nights, looking for free parts. People who do not know how to fix anything are in abundance. Thus, I always found the parts I needed for free. This is why I used to keep rudimentary tools with me at all times. Partly because for years I drove broken down rusty junk to work and school. When you have a roadside emergency every couple of weeks ya got to be prepared. So, since I was about town driving junk, if I saw an appliance that was the same brand I had at my home, Id pull over and strip it for all the prime good parts it had. I did this while slowly working my way up from the bottom of the heap until I finally completed Engineering studies. Believe me, the roadside emergency repairs and the part stripping was way more practical than just plain old dry engineering theory. And, the hands on experience kept me head of my class and fellow wanna bees at work.
I used to have ten servicable B&S lawnmower engines in my 10x12' wooden yard barn. We have only bought two lawnmowers in our lives my wife & I. My spouse bought me one for our 25th aniversary (I really did not want it, but was her gift to me). After that I knew fairly well how to keep a brand new expensive mower working, so I donated all my stock of good mower engines to a friend who had a friend who did likewise. Our second mower was a gift to myself for retiring, a husqavarna chassis with a top end honda engine, its great.
Too bad Ya dont see many old motorcycles thown out on trash night.
Throw away culture is good for a garbage picking vulture like me.
dancr
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing

Return to “Trains, Planes, and Automobiles”