ATTN Rusty Probie/ Newbies

Miscellaneous GoldWing Related Parts, and GoldWing for sale.

Moderators: alan hawke, Forum Moderators

rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: ATTN Rusty Probie/ Newbies

Post by rogue1000 »

Placerville just may have something here....why not take in a little extra coin?
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Placerville wrote:...Create a separate 'non-member' section on the NGW that allows the posting of vintage GL's for sale for a fee. Say, $25 for a 30-day posting. At the end of 30 days, the posting is automatically deleted and the seller must re-post for another $25. Sellers would be required to sign a disclaimer agreeing that the NGW is not involved in the sale, etc. Cheaper than eBay and no sales fees. This has probably been discussed before, if so, my apologies. But, I do smell an opportunity.

+1

but causes a bit more hassle & 'paperwork' for the staff?
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
abert51
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by abert51 »

as a Zinc member I realize and heartily endorse the VALUE of this site. Anything that would de-value it should go. Thanks for all the comments, tips, and laughs. Al
78 Nekid
73 Shovel
73 Tiger
71 Commando
67 305
70 450 Scram
2002 Spirit 750
79 CB 750 Anniversary
mbs.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

as member, i find the best source for parts are our sponsors. new and used. my second choice is e-bay. or even craigs list. and if a long time member is in need of something, and asks, i'm more then willing to help if i can. charging for the right to post stuff for sale, in my opinion, is not what this site is about. and i think "keeping up with the paper work" is a lot more work then some might think. a lot of new members stay just long enough to try and sell us something. not all. put a number of them do. i think the 5 post or even the 10 post rule is to easy. i might consider 50 as a fair number. because by that time we know who they are. i for one, will never buy anything from a new post person. regardless of how good a deal it might be. everything in the world can't always be about money. just my rant i guess. but i prefer to deal with friends, and the people how help sponsor this site. and even bettter if they are one in the same.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Marc »

I have dealt with some of the long time members here. Every deal was a positive experience with no deception whatsoever. Can't say the same for some of those new to the site. I like to deal with those who are known here, friends I have in the Classic Wing Club and those in our local UMCI club. I understand your position completely - expecially the dislike for added paperwork.
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
Mrirbic71
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mrirbic71 »

Placerville has a Great Idea there,(I think any way) I still have the freshness of a newbie but thank goodness I havent sold or tried to sell anything or I mightve felt guilty....WHEW!!!! Any how I thank All of my new found Wing FAMILY and appreciate ALL the tips and suggestions that have been past along to me and other young wingers like myself!!!!Thanks for helping me keep MY WING FLAPPIN....
1982 GL1100
Being happy ain't nothing but having something to look foward too..
No matter what I'm doing I'd rather be riding.
legendzzz
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by legendzzz »

I agree someone who has a deal for one of us to get instead of giving a deal to some stranger on BAY auctions is MUCH BETTER for us! Why punish him and make him have to wait to do 5 post, heck he may save some of us a few hundred dollars by getting it in our Forum FAST! I could use any help I can get in saving money Ask my Wife She will tell you !LOL!
1984 GL1200 Standard-Custom
taylorsel
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taylorsel »

I don't know what the issues are concerning people popping in and dropping an add. I did not find this site until I had already purchased my first vintage GL. I hate to say it, but I have found that the bikes posted on here are kind of a nich buy. They tend to be either a quality restored bike at a better than usual price for members only or a few project bikes but so far they have been either too far away or the timing or price was not advantagous, at least, for me. All my porject bikes have been found through craigslist. ebay being unrealisticly high with no room for negotiating.

The beauty of this site is really the wealth of valuable information about old wings and how to find purchase fix and maintain them. I also find if I cannot find a part anywhere else I can find it with a great price on this site. This is also where I go when I'm stumpped and cannot figure how to fix my wings, all with the help of the great members, especially the wonderful individules who maintain this site..

In short. I don't see this site as my main source of whole bikes either projects, daily riders or perfect restored or original bikes. I can drool over the restored ones but cannot buy them with out first paying for a divorce.

So if it makes it more of a headache to have newbies dropping in posting their bike and skedaddling. I vote for at least the 5 post rule. I need this site for the membership's sake!
STEVE LOGAN, 1979 GOLDWING, 1978 GOLDWING, 1976 GOLDWING
Dana
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Dana »

Just my 2 cents ... People join for different reasons. Im here for the How to-customization parts, Others, the like minded fellowship, Others the market place ,ect. I just tried to post a cafe front end for sale before reading this. If Fred longtimemember Is looking for a cafe front end , It will be sold on Kijiji before I am eligible to post on this board. Sounds like your trying to keep the rif raf out .If so maybe your expectations should be clear before asking people to register. If people are signing up just to sell things, is that a bad thing. They are giveing us first crack at there product and also reading your advertising . Hey this just got me one post closer to being able to sell something. I was told to enjoy the board when I registered. Now to be told that Im not intitled to the same privleges as the next guy makes me a 2nd class citizen. `at the end of the day its your board and I dont have to be here. so you can do what your going to do but why stop at new people trying to sell. Lets get rid of all the bad spellers and people who where silly hats. just my 2 cents Dana
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

The minimum post requirement from registered members before they can post in the for sale section keeps lots and lots of spam off the board. It in no way attempts to make second class citizens out of new members. Its the same reason for the minimum posts for links and to upload pictures.

I don't think anyone likes wading through spam and speaking for the moderators we don't enjoy all the housekeeping it takes to remove all the spam if we leave the board open to it.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i don't know what advertising you think you saw, cause we don't take advertising. the rules that are in place have been honed over the years to meet the best needs of the members. Fred longtimemember has a number of sources for cafe' frontends, and i don't think a day or two delay in you being able to offer one for sale, is going to prevent him from considering yours. I'm not a hat person, but a lot of our members are, and i respect their right to purchase and collect them. a number of our members are from non English speaking countries, and their command of the English language, is often much better then ours of theirs.
All members have to abide by the same post count rules, and have managed to rack up several hundred and even thousands, contributing to the knowledge of both others and themselves. if you manage to embrace these rule, i'm sure you can become a productive member of the site, and be able to offer Fred longtimemember some really good deals. As well as finding some for yourself
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NewWinger »

I hope this does not turn into a real fracas.
I've been avoiding controversy like the plague these days.
I concur with what ever is easiest to manage by our moderators.

As for spelling, typos happen even when you proof read religiously.
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
jondog9
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by jondog9 »

I've seen this same problem on other forums. Pump and dump and sayonara.
I have bought a LOT of motorcycle parts from various forums. It's just like real life: caveat emptor.
That said, I prefer to buy from forums, because the good sellers are the ones who are somewhat invested in that forum and you get a sense of who they are from researching their posts. It's like a background check on the seller. It's a very useful and effective way for me to get what I need, gain some knowledge, and usually get a fair price, or even a smoking deal.
As a rule, I never buy anything from the newly joined member with less than 100 posts.
However, there are those cases like Marc suggested where some bloke has some hard to get/hard to sell parts and he joins strictly to offer those parts to a focused market. I found and bought an unobtainium rear shock from a first time poster in one case. But that is the exception.

I wish I had a good answer of how to avoid the pump and dump guys, but whatever you do to limit them, also limits the honest guy.
Oh well, there's always craigslist, and it's still free.
1979 GL1000
Wingerinsandiego
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Wingerinsandiego »

Great post. I concur, make it 10 or no sale. I consider it an honor to be a member in this club and the other clubs I have been involved in in the past. Why do people always have to take advantage? Whoops, not going there!
1976 LTD
1985 LTD (SOLD) To support my naked obsession!!

I don't want a nickel, just want to ride my motorcycle!
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I can see both sides of the argument, on one hand I wouldn't want to see a part of this site becoming an off shoot of Flea Bay, but you pay your money or take your choice. Some people here may miss out on the chance to buy just what they want or need, but I wouldn't want 'the floodgates to open'. Since I have been a member, I have asked questions, and tried to help where I could, and think the balance is right, and I think we should let the Moderators control what is acceptable or not. they set this up, and run it so well, giving up their time to do so. If you don't agree then there are other forums or bidding sites that you can use to buy parts, but the last thing I would want is to lose that sense of Brotherhood that is apparent at the moment. It is all about your own morals and principles, and I have no doubt that if I went over to the states, and needed a bed for the night, (and a cold beer), then I would only need to ask on here, likewise, if a member was in my area, then you only have to ask. That is what a club is all about. If you don't agree, then ride off into the sunset, (bugger off)!

anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.