How to Re-key Locks

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: How to Re-key Locks

Post by Toehead »

Thank you for the great tutorial!

I just finished re-keying my ignition (1976 GL1000) so that it matches my 77 GL1000 ignition.

Some key findings for taking apart the ignition switch:

1) The metal shell is staked to the switch body in two places (on the early switches). Drill out the stakes with a very small drill. You can either stake it in new places, or use a screw. The early switches already have a screw that is enough to secure the shell without staking.

2) Once you get the shell off, the the guts come out. Removing the lock barrel from the metal holder is somewhat tricky. There is a pin on the back that holds it together. Remove this pin. Now, the only thing holding it together is the actual tumblers. unfortunately, if you don't have a working key for the lock this is the difficult part. While applying pressure from the back of the barrel, I tried several keys. I was able to remove it in small increments as each tumbler was engaged.

3) Once the barrel is out, it is exactly the same as all the other ones you show. Once you have a working key, to reinstall just put the key into the barrel and push the barrel back into the holder. It will go right in.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

This is the lock off my '77 but Roncar identifies it as a '75-'76 version. When I took it off the bike I couldn't find a keycode (lookinfg in the '77 position - silly me!), and planned to take it apart to see if I could figure out how to make a key for it myself.
'75 style ignition lock
'75 style ignition lock
IgnitionLock01.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 872 times

This style has a screw and two pinpricks that hold the cover on. I took out the screw and ground out the pinpricks with a diamond burr on a Dremel. I could have drilled it out as it is plated brass and what's underneath isn't too vulnerable.
Screwdriver, diamond burr, open
Screwdriver, diamond burr, open
IgnitionLock2-3-4.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 872 times
pull the pin
keeper pin
keeper pin
IgnitionLock05.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Appreciate good people: they are hard to come by.
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

As ron points out, there is a row of "wafers" with holes in them. The key goes thru the hole and the notches in the key added to the thickness of the bottom of the wafer makes the wafer centered in the barrel. When all wafers are centered in the barrel, the key can turn.
Wafers
Wafers
IgnitionLock07.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 872 times
I don't have a key so I was depressing the wafers randomly and pushing out on the barrel. Each time I got something right it came out a bit more.
straightened dentil pick
straightened dentil pick
IgnitionLock08.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Once it was apart I could see the groove the wafers were in and measure how deep the action area is
the wafers fit into this groove
the wafers fit into this groove
IgnitionLock09.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 872 times
when I was doing things at random I was going in and out, up and down, lots of time spent working the wrong area
This is the end of the groove
This is the end of the groove
IgnitionLock10.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 872 times
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

Roncar reveals that you can put in an incorrect key (if it's the right blank) and mix and match the wafers until your set comes out centered in the barrel, and then that key will fit that lock.
IgnitionLock11.jpg
IgnitionLock11.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 872 times
and if you can't make a set that fits for every wafer you can omit a wafer or file it flat wherever it sticks out (make sure you take out the spring too)
IgnitionLock12.jpg
IgnitionLock12.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Without a key (yet... I have a set coming from Roncar) I did the dirty work with a dentil pick I straightened, pushing down the wafers one-at-a-time
IgnitionLock13.jpg
IgnitionLock13.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 872 times
putting it back together I had to look at my photos to know what side was "up" as there are 4 grooves
IgnitionLock14.jpg
IgnitionLock14.jpg (36.89 KiB) Viewed 872 times
This is the action area
IgnitionLock15.jpg
IgnitionLock15.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 872 times
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

The barrel fits in one wafer-at-a-time as I caress the wafers with the pick (it slips right in if you have a key in it that fits the wafers)
IgnitionLock16.jpg
IgnitionLock16.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 872 times
It's all the way in... put in the pin
IgnitionLock17.jpg
IgnitionLock17.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IgnitionLock18.jpg
IgnitionLock18.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Push down on the fork-lock button to get it in the last bit
IgnitionLock19.jpg
IgnitionLock19.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 872 times

You'll be relieved to know a dremel disk arbor screw is the same pitch and diameter as the screw that would be here saving a coffee cup malfunction. There's room on the bike for the oversized head.
I did have to shorten the screw, though
I did have to shorten the screw, though
IgnitionLock20.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 872 times
I'm guessing the wafers are the same in the helmet locks, so those wafers could be sacrificed to make an ignition or shelter lock fit that key
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

My keys came from the keymaker. Fast and very reasonably priced, and easier than what I showed above (I'm glad to know how, though. Thanks twice Roncar)
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Thanks for the great explanation! It is much clearer with pictures instead of only verbal.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
Dennis1492
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Dennis1492 »

Hey Ron.
I think rekeying is above my pay grade lol.I don't have keys for any locks on my 1982 GL1100 (as I bought it at storage auction but that's another story) To get the ignition key do I have to try and take the whole thing to get the code? Also what is a shelter lock? The one on the gas tank? Need saddle bags ,trunk, and helmet keys what a mess.
See you are from Lakeland FL, I lived in Bradenton FL. for 50 years moved here to Myrtle Beach SC 5 years ago.Our son still lives in Bradenton He is a detective sergeant with the Bradenton Police Dept. only couple more years for him to retire, wouldn't ya know he drives a Harley, the traytor lol

Dennis lolol
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

ignition key will fit the ignition, gas tank, and helmet lock. Saddle bags etc I don'tr know about. Your ignition key code will get you a key that will let you drive and re-fuel...

don't be shy - everything can be re-done - except the parts with tiny little springs!!! (remember, it's not really yours until you've screwed it up and then fixed it).

... no seriously, just taking out the cylinder to get the code is very safe and certain. Trust roncar!
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Dennis1492 wrote:I think rekeying is above my pay grade lol.I don't have keys for any locks on my 1982 GL1100 (as I bought it at storage auction but that's another story)
Rekeying the locks is for convenience and/or a "LAST" resort. Ideally, all the locks use the same key (as shipped from the factory.)
Dennis1492 wrote:To get the ignition key do I have to try and take the whole thing to get the code?
Yes, removal of the ignition switch is the easiest way to see it's key code.
Dennis1492 wrote: Also what is a shelter lock? The one on the gas tank? Need saddle bags ,trunk, and helmet keys what a mess.
Don't get hung up on nomenclature. Shelter, gas tank, faux tank, console, fairing cover, radio, are all the same lock in form, fit and function.

After 35+ years, the locks may be all keyed the same, every one of them keyed different, or some combination of keyed alike/different. IMHO, best option is to access the lock codes on the ignition switch and any other readily accessible lock and see if the key codes are the same or different. Then you can figure out if you will need one or multiple keys and/or whether rekeying is even a possible option.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

does anyone have a link to the wafer kit on e-bay? I want to rekey the saddle bag locks to match the ignition key on my 82 1100.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

I took apart some locks for bags last summer. My results were marginal but effective. Rearranged the wafers until I found the best combination to fit my key. I think I have 3 out of 5 wafers still in there. The remaining wafers were simply left out. The result was that the locks open and lock with fewer wafers and less security. A time consuming no cost fix for me. A small metal file also helped to dress the wafer edges just a little.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

ritalz wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 pm I took apart some locks for bags last summer. My results were marginal but effective. Rearranged the wafers until I found the best combination to fit my key. I think I have 3 out of 5 wafers still in there. The remaining wafers were simply left out. The result was that the locks open and lock with fewer wafers and less security. A time consuming no cost fix for me. A small metal file also helped to dress the wafer edges just a little.
This is what I am up too. Getting the locks from the bags I bought to work off my ignition key.
I'm not as concerned about security as I am preventing a top from blowing off. I keep my bike inside when I'm not riding and if we stop for any amount of time it's usually to get something to eat.
I just want the extra security from a latch coming undone.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

The locks in my daughter's Fit work on the same principle except they are half-wafers that are actuated only from the side rather than down the middle like in Goldwings. That puts sideways wear on the barrel, and in her case it wore out all the door locks so you couldn't get into the car. A broken quarter window later I took all 3 door locks apart using Roncar's guidance, and took out all the sideways oriented wafers which left only one wafer in each lock. Now the locks did lock and unlock, but would open with any Honda key... much more secure than always leaving it unlocked so you could get back in!
I basically did the same on my '75 so the shelter lock matched the ignition. It didn't have a proper lock when I got it so I scavenged a lock from a parts bike and took out all but one wafer that happened to match the ignition key, and now the shelter locks and un-locks, and anyone who would try their collection of Goldwing keys that they happen to have with the intention of finding one that has been key-compromised will be able to steal my 6 oz bottle of Stabil and my visegrips - dang!
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

DocRoot wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:32 am and now the shelter locks and un-locks, and anyone who would try their collection of Goldwing keys that they happen to have with the intention of finding one that has been key-compromised will be able to steal my 6 oz bottle of Stabil and my visegrips - dang!
:lol:
I'm going to pop a cylinder out after lunch and see how many wafers I can use.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)