How to Re-key Locks

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

How to Re-key Locks

Post by roncar »

Not liking to carry anymore keys than I have to, I, over the years, have developed an interest in locks and how they work. With the GL1000's and GL1100's at ~30 years old, lots of things have been changed over the years including locks. I have run into two different keys. From my experience the 1000 and 1100 use key blank number HD74 (X84) and the 1200 and some aftermarket ignition switches uses HD75 (X138). The cross section of these keys are exactly opposite of each other. Therefore if you have a mixture of both, there is no way to rekey to one key for all locks.
EDIT Oct 17,2015-- There are 4 different keys, not 2. While they look the same, HD72 and HD73 key blanks are used for 75 and 76 OEM locks. HD74 and HD75 are used on 77-79 GL1000's, 80-83 Gl1100's, 84-87 GL1200's, 88-00 GL1500's and many other Honda motorcycles. 83-00 use different codes making some of the wafers different that won't work with keys from the other codes. If your locks use the same codes (5 number, 3 number, 3digit alpha numeric) and have the same profile, you should have no problem re-keying them the same.
On a side note, the later keys (HD74 and HD75) will usually fit and work in the earlier locks (HD72 and HD73.) The reverse is NOT true though. HD72 and HD73 keys WILL NOT insert in locks built for HD74 and HD75 keys. Also note that the key numbers I'm using, HD72-75, are Ilco EZ numbers and other key blank manufacturers may or may not use these numbers.

Keep in mind that rekeying a lock will make the key code on that lock invalid. You probably should obliterate it to prevent future confusion. I have a keying kit for Honda cars that the wafers work nicely in the Goldwing locks.

Starting at the end first the actually rekeying is fairly easy. I am starting with this first because the procedure is the same regardless of the lock being rekeyed. Disassembly for the different locks follows the rekeying procedures.

REKEYING THE TUMBLER

Insert your key and see how many wafers are already lined up flush with the edge. Remove the key and the wafers that didn't line up. Try the removed wafers in different positions until as many as possible are flush with the edge of the tumbler with the key inserted. In this case I got 3 to line up.

At this point there are several options.
1. Leave the wafers out but be sure to remove their associated springs so they don't fall out and jam the lock.
2. Replace the wafers with the correct ones from a wafer kit or a donor lock, if either is available.
3. File the mismatched wafers down until they are flush.
I have used all 3 methods over the years, and they all will work.
Remember to always exercise the lock with the key after reassembly and installation and before actually locking something.

DISSASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

GL1100 SADDLEBAG AND TRUNK LOCKS

Remove the circlip from the back of the lock and the tumbler will come out the front. Watch the orientation of the parts so they can be reassembled correctly. Put together wrong the lock won't operate properly, if at all.

HELMET LOCK

Remove the screw holding the cover on the back of the lock. (Some of the locks have bradded posts holding the cover on. I have had success by prying the cover off the posts. The cover gets bent and must be straightened out to reassemble. When the lock is mounted, the cover has nowhere to go, so I don't worry with reattaching them.)

Remove the cover while pressing in on the helmet post. The post is spring loaded and will fly across the room if not held in place.

There is an extra wafer in the tumbler to lock the tumbler in the housing. Depress this wafer flush with the edge of the tumbler with a scribe or small screwdriver. While holding the locking wafer the tumbler will now come out the front of the lock.

Again make sure the parts are placed right when reassembling. Don't misplace the locking wafer or the tumbler won't stay in.

Again hold the helmet post all the way in while reassembling.

GL1100 TRUNK ATTACHMENT LOCKS

Remove the spring and strike. The small cam is held in position by the back of the tumbler, so the tumbler has to be removed with it in place. A circlip holds the tumbler in place and has to be rotated to a position so it can be pried out. The tumbler then comes out the front of the lock.

Once again watch the orientation on reassembly for proper operation.

HONDALINE SUITCASE LUGGAGE ATTACHMENT LOCKS

Remove the bracket from the back of the lock. There are 2 rivet posts holding the innards in the lock. Break them loose and the guts of the lock will come out the back. Again when reassembled the bracket will keep anything from falling out so don't sweat the rivets.

75-77 SHELTER LOCK

Remove the circlip and the tumbler will come out the front of the lock.

I have been unsuccessful, so far, with the following locks.

1. Ignition (destroyed the lock in the attempt)

2. 78-79 Shelter lock (have 2 with no keys and need one now, so will probably be destroying one soon)

3. GL1100 Shelter locks (was able to do, but required prying the chrome ring off the front of the lock and I was not real happy with the cosmetic result. But the lock DID work)

So on 78 and newer try to have matched locks for the ignition and shelter cover. All the rest can be easily keyed alike.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Thanks for the tips Ron. I've only done locks that had pins and it shows me that if I want to work on these I'd need wafers.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Thanks Ron- As per your suggestion in another thread, I was able to rekey the locks on my interstate bags to match the ingnition key on my 1100. Thanks again for the info.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Post by confish86 »

Ron great write up & i do have one question , with the gas tank still in the frame , how would you get to the screws on the back of the helmet lock .
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

confish86 wrote:Ron great write up & i do have one question , with the gas tank still in the frame , how would you get to the screws on the back of the helmet lock .
I assume you are talking 1100? 1000 is by the rear wheel. Needle nose vice-grip pliers comes to mind. I don't have one here to look at, but I do remember installing one without disassembling anything.

confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Post by confish86 »

roncar wrote:
confish86 wrote:Ron great write up & i do have one question , with the gas tank still in the frame , how would you get to the screws on the back of the helmet lock .
I assume you are talking 1100? 1000 is by the rear wheel. Needle nose vice-grip pliers comes to mind. I don't have one here to look at, but I do remember installing one without disassembling anything.
Thanks will give it a try next weekend
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: How to Re-key Locks

Post by JBz »

Hi Ron. dinking around with some locks here and noticed the codes have 6 numbers like 7RB115 reading from the key end and the locks have 5 wafers, Im trying to put a number 1 wafer in a lock taking it out of another lock where the number1 wafeer was in a differant slot. I can see any number on the wafers themselves. Anything you can add. Thanks JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

Very nice write up..another option remove all the wafers/springs..now it not a lock just a latch that any key that will fit in will operate..or screw driver..but no on knows that but you!!!
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Ron, great write up. You just need to learn how to use the Macro feature on your camera :-D
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

BlueThunder wrote:Ron, great write up. You just need to learn how to use the Macro feature on your camera :-D
Amazing how the look fine on the camera's small screen and like crap when I get inside and post them. :cry:
I usually run a disclaimer. :lol:
DISCLAIMER:

First I am NOT:
1. a photographer
2. a writer
3. an engineer
4. a trained motorcycle mechanic

Nor do I play one on TV and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

JohnBaxter
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JohnBaxter »

Awesome article, but where can you buy or aquire the wafer kit required ??? :8)
When the Power of Love
Overcomes the Love of Power,
Then and ONLY then
Will we find peace.
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

Got mine off eBay.

egelasi
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by egelasi »

This looks like it should work for the 1000 also. Correct? I want my shelter/helmet locks to match my new ignition key.

Roncar, you said you got your kit on Ebay...any other source?

Thanks
Ed G
Current Bike: 07 Yamaha Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado
Previous bikes:
76 GL1000LTD
99 Valkyrie Interstate
99 Aero 1100
85 GL1200 LTD with California Sidecar and trailer
88 Ducati 750 F1s
88 Ducati Paso 750
86 Kawasaki Concours
79 Honda CBX
85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
77 Moto Guzzi Convert with Jupiter Sidecar
72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
A horrible Suzuki Madura 700
69 Honda CB750
Yamaha XS650 Special
Honda CB350
Honda Z50
I might remember a few more.
roncar
Vice President
Vice President

Post by roncar »

egelasi wrote:This looks like it should work for the 1000 also. Correct?
Yes. Most of my rekeying has been on 1000's
egelasi wrote:I want my shelter/helmet locks to match my new ignition key.
Remember, Honda used 2 different keys. One has an exact opposite profile of the other. If your key you want to use will not physically fit in the lock you want to key it to, can't be done (at least not easily.)
egelasi wrote:Roncar, you said you got your kit on Ebay...any other source?

Thanks
Ed G
There are other places to get the kits, but, 1. they want more than I'm willing to pay, and 2. most are companies that prefer (only) sell to locksmiths. eBay sellers don't care who they sell to.

I have seen more than once where a kit is not needed. Just rearranging the wafers changes it to the new key. If your ignition key will fit in your shelter lock, take the shelter lock apart (it's the easiest) and see of they will line up by moving wafers around. If it works then the helmet locks will too.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF SMALL PARTS. They are easily lost.

egelasi
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by egelasi »

THANKS, RON!!! action1

I sent you a PM but you answered part of my question with your post.

Ed
Current Bike: 07 Yamaha Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado
Previous bikes:
76 GL1000LTD
99 Valkyrie Interstate
99 Aero 1100
85 GL1200 LTD with California Sidecar and trailer
88 Ducati 750 F1s
88 Ducati Paso 750
86 Kawasaki Concours
79 Honda CBX
85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300