How to Re-key Locks

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: How to Re-key Locks

Post by Sidecar Bob »

If you end up with a "wafer" or 2 that stick out a bit you can file them down to match your key. Again not quite as secure because 2 different keys will now open it but the likelihood of someone coming along with the other key is a lot smaller than someone having lock picks....

It occurs to me that it would probably be a good idea to deface the key code on the lock in case a future owner ends up with the lock and no key. It would be a shame for someone to pay a locksmith to cut one from the code only to discover it won't work.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 am If you end up with a "wafer" or 2 that stick out a bit you can file them down to match your key. Again not quite as secure because 2 different keys will now open it but the likelihood of someone coming along with the other key is a lot smaller than someone having lock picks....

It occurs to me that it would probably be a good idea to deface the key code on the lock in case a future owner ends up with the lock and no key. It would be a shame for someone to pay a locksmith to cut one from the code only to discover it won't work.
that is what I did. truth be told..a kid with a screw driver could break in to the saddle bags anyway. I want the locks more for an extra level of "keep the lid from blowing off".
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I always lock mine for the same reason. I figure if I'm in the habit of turning the key there's a better chance that I'll remember to close the latch first :orange
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Sidecar Bob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 am I always lock mine for the same reason. I figure if I'm in the habit of turning the key there's a better chance that I'll remember to close the latch first :orange
exactly. :mrgreen:
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)