Carburetor Overhaul, GL1100

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Re: Carburetor Overhaul, GL1100

Post by Roady »

Does it just not go down under 2k or, does it clatter or die when you try to slow it?

Could be a number of different things depending on the symptoms.
trekjefftrek
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by trekjefftrek »

Roady,
I adjusted the throttle cable and synchronized the carbs and the bike idles great.
I've taken the bike out a few times now and I've noticed a little hesitation in the middle throttle range. It seems to get worse as the bike warms up. I'm going to adjust the air/fuel mixture screws and see if this helps out.

I would appreciate and other suggestions you might have.

Thanks for you help.

Jeff
Roady

Post by Roady »

The pilot screws only affect idle, IIRC.

You might want to check your float levels. You can do that by removing the drain screws and inserting some clear plastic tubing, 1/4" I believe. With that method you don't have to remove the carbs.

Did you use the original jets?
trekjefftrek
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by trekjefftrek »

I changed all the jets and cleaned all four carburetors.
The hesitation was worse before I rebuilt the carbs. The bike runs much better, but there's still a slight hesitation. I added seafoam to the gas when I filled up the other day, so I'm going to ride it for a few days and see if that helps. If that doesn't do the trick-I'll check the float levels.

Thanks!
trekjefftrek
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by trekjefftrek »

I rode the Wing over 100 miles the past few days and the hesitation is really bad at 1/4 throttle. While riding at a consistent speed I have to adjust the throttle to get out of that sputtering/hesitation range. The bike pulls hard when I open the throttle and it idles good. Does this sound like a float bowl adjustment issue?

Thanks
Roady

Post by Roady »

I think it could be a float level problem.

Or if that's not it I'd suspect a faulty jet. The new, aftermarket jets are not as accurate as the original Honda ones.

You should probably post your data in the Tech Discussions forum. It'll get more attention from the "real" carb experts in there.
trekjefftrek
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by trekjefftrek »

Thanks Steve.
I'll post something in the Tech forum.

Jeff
at1oliver
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by at1oliver »

action1 Roady,

Nice presentation on carb rebuilding.

Questions.... Have you encountered the problem where the slow fuel jets would not come out even though they turn counter clockwise? Seems every one of the slow fuel jets on my 764A carbs are acting in this manner. Service Manual says they should drop out after unscrewing, but there has been alot of corrossion present in these carbs and I fear the aluminum threads are gone. Should I just drill and easy-out them, then use case savers and replace with new jets?

The history of these carbs is unknown, picked up this '77' in a trade and thought it would be a good winter project.

Thanks
Roady

Post by Roady »

I'm no expert on the GL1000 carbs.

But I suspect that one will be along shortly to answer your question.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

The idle jets are the only ones you can not access from the top to push out. Is that what you are talking about? Usually a good knock on the bench and they fall right out. Also you can use Air Pressure to blow them out. I think that circuit goes out to the brass elbow fitting on the side of the carb. A bit of air in there should pop them out but use extreme caution to ensure you catch them. They are small buggers and can get seriously lost in a shop.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
82A
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by 82A »

Excellent instructions Roady! After getting Randaak's kit and using Howards book and then redo'ing using your instructions here's hoping. But before I put them back on the bike I have a couple questions.

When trying to do Alley Kat's bench sync I couldn't tighten the throttle stop screw enough to get the pin through the bottom at all. It did work measuring the top though so I did that on all four but is that a sign something else is out? If my photo displays okay you can see from the #1 arrow I still didn't have room to put the spring back onto the stop screw either.

My other question is about the choke tab that depresses the throttle slightly. If I manually rotate the choke as far as possible (#2) it still doesn't make contact with the throttle tab (#3) to push it open some. Again, is something else slightly out.

Thanks for all the assistance.

carb_arrows.jpg
carb_arrows.jpg (28.48 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Kerry Haight
Kingston, Ontario
1982 GL1100A (the current project)
1978 GL1000 (the next project)
Roady

Post by Roady »

In my instrux I noted that you need to prop the tip of the throttle screw open with something, I used the handle of a paintbrush. Then you can fine tune the screw to get clearance on #3's butterfly. The screw should not have to be turned in that far. It might have something to do with your choke clearance, not sure on that one.
Mrirbic71
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mrirbic71 »

Great job...Illustrations...AS GOOD AS CHILTON....thanks for the info,this is where I am on my 77 gl1000.
1982 GL1100
Being happy ain't nothing but having something to look foward too..
No matter what I'm doing I'd rather be riding.
scott
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by scott »

Hi I had a very bad carb overhaul 1983 gw 1100 by a so called repair shop in Prescott valley az they refused to repair and moved to another location to burn again.
I pulled the carbs split the plenum and discovered a large fuel o ring on #3 card crushed so my question is are these special o rings or can I use the same size I can get from ace hardware
For about .56 cents sorry about the complaint but why screw a fellow biker.

Thx scot
scot
Roady

Post by Roady »

So sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Moving on ... you could probably get away with a locally sourced o-ring, as long as it is rated for gasoline. The usual trouble with the ones from the auto stores is that they are not always the same thickness.

Good luck with that. :orange