How-To Mount Harley Mufflers - GL1100

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Re: How-To Mount Harley Mufflers - GL1100

Post by Roady »

As I've said before, no need to mess with jets unless you also change the intake side.

I think 2003 and older sporty's are the best, no crossover. But you can plug the crossover or figure out a way to connect it.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

and the best part.... they are cheap
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Okay here is how the HD touring mufflers connect

my 05.... the front exhaust header comes down the right side

the rear header "Y's" as it exits. half going to the left and half to the right, the right side connects with the right pipe just before it heads into the muffler.

(the "sparkles" are sawdust from cutting wood)

in effect, back flow from the right must go back up to the rear jug "Y" to go down the left header to the left exhaust.

newer twin cam 96..... both the front and the rear come down and join together into a larger connector which heads straight back to the right muffler. from this connector there is a cross over under the frame to the left muffler. One advantage is that both headers are further from where the passenger and drivers legs are.

in either case, it would appear that more exhaust will go to the right side rather than the left, especially at idle. At speed, one would expect there is so much exhaust it would even out. So if I were designing the system, I would expect the right muffler to have more back pressure than the left, in effect making it easier for the exaust to cross over to the left side
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Pagman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Pagman »

I don't have any automatic cutting or welding tools. Are these steps absolutely necessary for proper fitment? Will installing sportster pipes using this method work for a 79gl1000? Thanks.
Bigphillip79
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Bigphillip79 »

I was looking at mine and don't want to do any welding so I can go back to original mufflers easily. I think it can be clamped in instead of welding.

Anybody do it without welding?
76 gl1000
Hoosier Daddy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I did not have to weld mine.
*Late (78-79) model GL1000 headers.
*Straight 1 3/4" exhaust adapters from the autoparts store.
*Sportster mufflers
I ground down the high spots that were left on the headers from the original horseshoe muffler connection till smooth.
Adapters were still such a tight fit I put the headers in the chest freezer overnight, heated the adapters with a propane torch and then drove them on with my dead-blow mallet.
Then the Sportster mufflers slid on and the Harley clamp was used to cinche them down to the adapters.

Bulldoged '81 GL1100 "BOMBER!" BUILD THREAD
Bratstyle '80 GS750L "OVERKILL"
Cafe'd '81 CB750C "ROCK-IT"
Basket Case '72 CB450 K5 "NO CLASS"
Resto-Mod '67 BSA Spitfire "STAY CLEAN"

rainstromrider say's I'm "addicted to the build"... I think he might onto something :)
Pagman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Pagman »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I did not have to weld mine.
*Sportster mufflers
I ground down the high spots that were left on the headers from the original horseshoe muffler connection till smooth.
Adapters were still such a tight fit I put the headers in the chest freezer overnight, heated the adapters with a propane torch and then drove them on with my dead-blow mallet.
Then the Sportster mufflers slid on and the Harley clamp was used to cinche them down to the adapters.

what year sportster pipes did you use? you mentioned you used 78-79 headers, but would you or anyone else know if the bolt hole location for the pipe bracket on the gl1100 is in the same measuring distance as the 79 gl1000? I ask because i would like to place the sporty pipes on my bike as well and do not want to have a fitment issue.
Bigphillip79
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Bigphillip79 »

Pagman wrote:
what year sportster pipes did you use? you mentioned you used 78-79 headers, but would you or anyone else know if the bolt hole location for the pipe bracket on the gl1100 is in the same measuring distance as the 79 gl1000? I ask because i would like to place the sporty pipes on my bike as well and do not want to have a fitment issue.
Just get on Ebay and find some about 1999 or 2000 model pipes. They will have no crossover pipe and have a tab at about the middle of the pipe to mount. I got mine for $30 shipped. Just got to put them on.
76 gl1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

much like the way steel tyres were put on Steam locomotive driving wheels
-Rodger-
Pagman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Pagman »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I did not have to weld mine.
*Sportster mufflers

Hoosier Daddy,

I gotta say that your wing is the nicest one i've seen. Mine has been stripped of its fairings and luggage, and parts have been pulled off for cleaning, restoring, repainting, and replacing. I'm taking the direction of customizing, but parts are hard to find. Is your seat custom made? How did you incorporate the rear lights? I would like to see additional pics if you have.
Roady

Post by Roady »

Yeah, HD.

How about adding a link in your sig to your 50 page build thread?
Hoosier Daddy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Pagman wrote: Hoosier Daddy,

I gotta say that your wing is the nicest one i've seen. Mine has been stripped of its fairings and luggage, and parts have been pulled off for cleaning, restoring, repainting, and replacing. I'm taking the direction of customizing, but parts are hard to find. Is your seat custom made? How did you incorporate the rear lights? I would like to see additional pics if you have.
Wow Pagman, You are too kind!
Yes the seat is custom made. The fiberglass pan was hand laid over a styrofoam buck that I carved a curve in the rear to match a catseye tail light I found cheap. I bent up a aluminum strap to use the turn signal posts to mount the taillight. For the rear turn sigs I drilled and tapped the stock holes in the frame horns that were originally for the grab rail.
Roady wrote: Yeah, HD.

How about adding a link in your sig to your 50 page build thread?
Great suggestion Roady, always thinking of others aren't ya ;)
Honestly thought I had already done that, so if you scrolled over the word "Bomber" it was a linky.... guess I better fix that huh.
Bulldoged '81 GL1100 "BOMBER!" BUILD THREAD
Bratstyle '80 GS750L "OVERKILL"
Cafe'd '81 CB750C "ROCK-IT"
Basket Case '72 CB450 K5 "NO CLASS"
Resto-Mod '67 BSA Spitfire "STAY CLEAN"

rainstromrider say's I'm "addicted to the build"... I think he might onto something :)
Pagman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Pagman »

Being that i'm new to this site, i'm still getting myself to browse through as much material as possible. I didn't know there was a 41 page long thread to HD's rebuild. I got exhausted reading half way into it, but I'll surely continue and will definitely be referencing that page as i work on my wing. Nice to know there's a step by setp guide in showing how one of the coolest bikes here got customized.
Roady

Post by Roady »

Keep an eye on it ... might just be 2011's BOTY.
ZanVooden
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by ZanVooden »

Hello all,

I've got a 77 GL1000 that I am soon to be working on. I've managed to pick up a set of HD mufflers off 2007 FLHTC-UltraGlide. They were free, brand new sitting in a box in a shed of co-worker. (Actually I bought him a Chipolte burrito for them, so they cost me $7)

Any one have any idea if I'm going to have problems mounting them, or tuning the bike? From what I gathered thus far there is some debate on the construction of left vs right.

Has anyone mounted this type to a GL1000 yet?
My Bikes:
1978 CB750 K8 - Black - Sold
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic ... #msg620853
1978 CB750 F3 - Black
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84810.0
1976 GL1000 LTD
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36764
1976 CB750K - Turbo 915cc - Collecting parts...
http://imgur.com/a/3XhYE
2007 Yamaha RS Warrior
http://imgur.com/a/RJRQr