How-To Mount Harley Mufflers - GL1100

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Bigphillip79
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: How-To Mount Harley Mufflers - GL1100

Post by Bigphillip79 »

Seems like there are guys that just put them on. Gave no thought to jetting or the left right thing and have had no trouble.

The jetting is not a problem unless you change intake I here.
76 gl1000
Pagman
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Pagman »

ZanVooden wrote:Hello all,

I've got a 77 GL1000 that I am soon to be working on. I've managed to pick up a set of HD mufflers off 2007 FLHTC-UltraGlide. They were free, brand new sitting in a box in a shed of co-worker. (Actually I bought him a Chipolte burrito for them, so they cost me $7)

Any one have any idea if I'm going to have problems mounting them, or tuning the bike? From what I gathered thus far there is some debate on the construction of left vs right.

Has anyone mounted this type to a GL1000 yet?
I recently received a set of 97 sportster pipes in the mail. Just today I was modeling the right sportster pipe on my 79 wing (a bit of impatience). I wasn't installing the mufflers because I still haven't got the chance to purchase the necessary parts- washers, clamps, and connecting pipes. It seems as though I will have little to nearly no clearance with the muffler due to the shaft drive. The shaft on the gl1100 is less bulky, so i'm wondering if anyone else is having an issue with sportster pipes on the 1000 line. Also, it's not lining up directly into the headers, and there is about a two inch gap from muffler to header. I might be able to connect them by bending some muffler pipe, which will also give me some clearance, but it will kill the flow of the look. Anyone with suggestions?
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

on my 78, i hooked the mufflers directly to the header pipes and then fabricated a 3" bracket to hang them.. You can see this in the first photo, where I have not as yet installed the brackets, however, the muffler is mounted to the header. The second pic shows the quick and easy bracket in place, and the pipes covered with slip on exhaust tips from Autozone.
Attachments
meddle w pumps.jpg
meddle w pumps.jpg (698.83 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
MEDDLE RIGHT SIDE APRIL.JPG
MEDDLE RIGHT SIDE APRIL.JPG (428.17 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

ZanVooden wrote:Hello all,

I've got a 77 GL1000 that I am soon to be working on. I've managed to pick up a set of HD mufflers off 2007 FLHTC-UltraGlide. They were free, brand new sitting in a box in a shed of co-worker. (Actually I bought him a Chipolte burrito for them, so they cost me $7)

Any one have any idea if I'm going to have problems mounting them, or tuning the bike? From what I gathered thus far there is some debate on the construction of left vs right.

Has anyone mounted this type to a GL1000 yet?
there have been some Road king mufflers mounted to GL. as for tuning, not really an issue per se. The only question is whether it is better to use sportser mufflers which are more closely to 1000 cc and tend to be "equal". where the touring mufflers are more geared to a 1300cc bike, and the question of whether the right side hase more resistance than the left side.

see my earlier post addressing this question
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
submariner
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by submariner »

those pic's are so cool, can't wait to get my Standard up and running. looking for a set of sporties for my wing. got some other ideas can't wait to see if I can make happen. crossy.gif :orange :-D
Bigdog8869
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Bigdog8869 »

what size pipe does the crossover pipe need to be?
Jdept
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/jdept/

Post by Jdept »

I've read the entire post and no one mentioned the fact that why length matters. I have a '82 GL1100 that I bought with a chopped stock exhaust. It's chopped at the end before it drops into the smaller diameter pipe. Basically, it's a huge 4" pipe at the end and I am not sure of how much of the length was cut. I believe originally my exhaust was 33", now it's much shorter and has no tapered exhaust. Because of my exhaust being shorter and more wide at the end it's power band is more above 3K RPM up to 6K RPM. I've read that these bikes power band is typically 2K RPM to 4K RPM. I have also read on another site talking about exhaust theory that a longer pipe will give you a power band at lower RPM and a shorter pipe will move your power band to a higher RPM. So if anyone notices a difference with shorter pipes it's because of this reason ....and because of this I wouldn't want to go with longer pipes as well ...as you may not have anything at higher RPMs.

anim-cheers1

~J
~Jdept

1982 GL1100I *INW* :(
-naked, changed rear fender, different headlight, leather bags, rebuilt rear brakes and m/c, replaced front m/c with all metal type, removing as much rust as possible, polishing covers, and paint high gloss black...... to be continued. .....
~Looks to be a slow work in progress, a little bit at time is alright.
NGW Gallery --> http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/jdept/
patcoburn
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by patcoburn »

I loved what you did with the HD mufflers. Any chance you can give the exact measurements of the angle bracket you made for the left mount? Does the center stand drag in left sharp curve?
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

I've never had the centerstand touchdown on me.

As for measurements ... I just kept bending and shaping around the curves until the tips of the R & L mufflers were even. Then I cut off some excess.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

patcoburn wrote:I loved what you did with the HD mufflers. Any chance you can give the exact measurements of the angle bracket you made for the left mount? Does the center stand drag in left sharp curve?
Typically if you are dragging the centerstand then your rear shocks are over due to be replaced.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Jimbo1
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Jimbo1 »

A friend of mine has a new 2012 HD 883. The new muffler have a hole in the side which my guess is they're there to provide some additional mounting support. How would one work around that? Would you simply plug the hole by welding it shut? They're certainly a well made product.
Roady

Post by Roady »

I haven't seen the newer model HD mufflers. Can you supply a pic?

My first guess is that the hole is for a crossover pipe.

Also, it's my understanding that the front and rear mufflers on the newer 883's are different, might cause different backpressure without the crossover.

Others around here will know better.
khop
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by khop »

I have a set of pipes off an 04 sportster I want to put on an 80 wing. (1100) My wing has a crossover and the sportster pipes have a crossover as well. Do I need to install the crossover pipe or just block off the holes in the pipes?? What do you guys think? Thanks
khop
1980 gl 1100 present
1976 750 supersport back in the day
1977 400 four supersport back in the day
Roady

Post by Roady »

I would guess that you'd get smoother backpressure if you did add the crossover. It's been mentioned that the front & back H-D mufflers are tuned slightly different. But, you might have a hard time getting the crossover outlets lined up.

That being said ... my '03 muffs did not have crossover outlets so I do not have one on the Wing. And I do get a bit of pop-pop occasionally on deceleration. No big, tho. Figure I'll just ride the thing. :P
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I plugged the holes with a standard frost plug. You could put a bolt through to hold it or tack-weld it. I went a whole summer with just a friction fit.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi