Rebuild the Timing Belt Tensioner - $20

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

sandiegobrass
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by sandiegobrass »

Sidecar Bob wrote: "(3) Grind or machine stepped"
I think you left something out there.

I have downloaded this for future use. I think I will do mine the next time I replace the belts, just in case.

BTW: What's the current recommendation for timing belt replacement interval? My FSM just says to inspect and replace if you see wear and the Owner's manual doesn't mention them.
I guess I just assumed you could read my mind... "Grind or machine stepped."="Grind or machine a cylindrical step on the underside of the head to 14mm diameter with about 4mm (or less) depth leaving some of the original material." :)

As for frequency of belt replacement??... I am sure you can find lots opinions with a search... The only "official" statement by Mother HOnda was for the GL1500 and they said to "inspect" the belts at 100,000 miles. Having said that, there are lots of automobile manufacturer recommendations, for example, Toyota (e.g., that uses the same belt for the SR5 as the GL1200, i.e., the T070) recommends 60,000 miles... As a happy medium, I generally tell people 8 years or 80,000 miles.. but in my opinion that is probably still conservative... I am convinced that more people damage their engines by improperly installing belts than by having them break (or wear out)...Jim
1983 GL1100I - Daily commuter
2000 GL1500SE - Weekend Tourer
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

No kidding, that is some good work. THANKYOU!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I had pretty much figured out what you meant from the drawing below, but you did say that you would be revising as needed for a while and some might not figure it out.

Since I have access to a lathe at work, that's probably the method I will use.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
donspicer2

this thread is EXCELLENT

Post by donspicer2 »

thanks so much for all the research, experimenting, astute photos and narrative. this is great stuff.
sandiegobrass
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by sandiegobrass »

Sidecar Bob wrote:...Since I have access to a lathe at work, that's probably the method I will use.
That is one I like too.. keithg64 did his using this method as well, I think..
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

WOW !...now that's what I call brilliant research .

Thank you for posting !
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
sandiegobrass
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by sandiegobrass »

octane wrote:WOW !...now that's what I call brilliant research .

Thank you for posting !
Thank you, Octane.... someone was looking for it a few days ago and it was at the bottom of the stack, so I thought I'd bring it a little closer to the top..

and I'd like to hear about those that use it..
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

sandiegobrass wrote:... someone was looking for it a few days ago and it was at the bottom of the stack, so I thought I'd bring it a little closer to the top.. ..
NOTE: readily accessible on ShopTalk under timing belts.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

TechNomad
Tin Member
Tin Member

Tensioner rebuild solutions

Post by TechNomad »

Excellent PDF! It is well written with good illustrations! I grabbed a copy so I can have it handy for when I service the timing belts of my 1100. Keep up the good work and thanks---NICE JOB!
Mantra: "Hahah, you wrecked it! Never should have checked it! Perseverance in problem solving ensures success because POSITIVE ATTITUDE is a FORCE MULTIPLIER!
Briang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rebuild the Timing Belt Tensioner - $20

Post by Briang »

Here is the link to my topic Adventures in Tensioner Rebuild Land.

I successfully did this but I have a better idea.

Since I had to make bushings to reduce the size of the hole in the backing plate so the 10mm wheel stud could be used, I reasoned that if one were to first cut off the shaft which carries the tensioner roller this leaves, in place, the material which can become the required bushing, already pressed into the backing plate. There is enough of a gap between the plate and the roller to fit a hacksaw blade down it.

Then one can drill the appropriate sized 10mm hole in the backing plate and press in the wheel stud.

I would have done this before posting this but my bench vise broke a couple of months ago (I bought it at a garage sale a couple of years ago and didn't notice that it had been previously welded and the weld broke on me) and so I am just theorizing at the moment but I think that this method can be done by the average guy with normal home style facilities. Please, somebody try this and report back. This could truly get the cost down to the predicted $20.
Brian,
'81 CB900C (July 2005) / '82 GL1100 (December 2007)
Image Image
sandiegobrass
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by sandiegobrass »

Cutting the piece off might work.. good idea to try.. After all the trials and tribulations of those that have contributed by their experiences, I think a 10mm high quality bolt with about half of the head cut to 14mm diameter to form a shoulder that presses into the plate is the best method, but they all will work.. don't chose a method that requires drilling out the bearing hole unless you can deal with extremely hard metals...

Also, any links that have existed have been lost by my ISP but I have the document if you can't find it (here or elsewhere).. SDB/Jim
Littlewing
Zinc Member
Zinc Member
My Album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1771530803

Post by Littlewing »

This is a great string. Thanks to all who have done the footwork.

I just rebuilt my tensioners using the info I gathered here. I changed a couple of things so I could use the T42015 rollers and grade 8 hardware while keeping my heatshields and the spacers behind the tensioner mounting plate. This gave me a strong mount up and let me keep my tensioners nicely centered on the belt.

I drilled the heat shileds so the bolt heads and flat washers would set in that hole and give me full adjustment of the tensioners. I also had to grind the long spacers some so they would clear the bolt heads and washers. I didn't like the carrige bolt idea much and was able to find some 3/8" lock washers at the hardware store that were smaller in diameter and thicker than standard lock washers. They exactly fit inside the holes in the mounting plates filling the gap between the the whole and the 3/8" bolts.

Done for $30 a tensioner. Gotta love it!
Attachments
Drilled for bolt and washer clearence
Drilled for bolt and washer clearence
DSCN1820.JPG (205.12 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
The "special" lock washer in the hole
The "special" lock washer in the hole
DSCN1822.JPG (193.59 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
The spacer was ground away some for clearence too.
The spacer was ground away some for clearence too.
DSCN1832.JPG (193.75 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Littlewing
Zinc Member
Zinc Member
My Album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1771530803

Post by Littlewing »

A few more pics related to my post thats directly above this one.
Attachments
DSCN1826.JPG
DSCN1826.JPG (186.32 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1833.JPG (203.85 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
DSCN1821.JPG
DSCN1821.JPG (177.46 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
sandiegobrass
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by sandiegobrass »

Very nice!! and nice addition to the thread with the washers.. anything that will center the bolt will do, I think you could make a centering washer from some wire, too. Glad to see your method of retaining the heat shields... I didn't do any fitting for the GL1000 when I put that all together..
WShie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by WShie »

I just finished doing this on my bike using the Hyundai tensioner bearings. A great write up and a lot of research, thanks for the idea. A few observations on my part are: I used a 10MM flathead alloy bolt for the stud, as the flathead centers the stud in the hole of the tensioner bracket, no spacer is needed. I then tacked it in 3 places just to hold it in place but was not really needed. Also if the back of the tensioner bracket is not flat you will have to do some spacing out from the engine block to make it work, at least on my 79 you did. On my 79 there are 2 brackets that attach to the block in 3 places behind the tensioners, since the back of my tensioner brackets were not flat anymore {protruding bolt head}I had to cut off one leg of this bracket and use a washer on the other side of the tensioner bracket to make it work. Other than that I am pleased with how it turned out, bike is nice and quiet and the bearings appear to be of high quality.
Bill
1979 GL1000- On the road again after 19 years
1980 GS1000G Current Moneypit.. er project
1976 KZ400- Winter Project
Gone but not forgotten:
1941 Matchless 350
1956 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Triumph 650
1977 Moto Guzzi 850T
1979 Yamaha XS1100