CONVERT CABLE CLUTCH TO HYDRAULIC - Sunny's HOW-TO

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: CONVERT CABLE CLUTCH TO HYDRAULIC - Sunny's HOW-TO

Post by Old Fogey »

Yup! I was quite surprised that the original cut down pushrod length was still workable for the bigger 1200 clutch, but it does.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

Great! I think I have the whole picture on the full conversion now. Thank's guys for the great input. I just bought a 84 clutch assy including the clutch basket, cover, and slave cylinder on e-bay so I hope to make this happen in the near future. I will let you guys know how I make out!
Thank's Again!
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

UPDATE: Hey guys; Here it is September already and the summer is starting to turn cooler here in Michigan. I just wanted you to know that I finally have the engine out of my 78 and setting on the bench for the full hyd clutch conversion. I removed the 78 clutch and installed the 84 last week. I re-built the slave cylinder and have a new clutch cover gasket but forgot to get a new seal for the center of the clutch cover. I am impatiently waiting for it to get here and will be installing the clutch cover, hooking up the master cylinder and the line. I thought I would try it on the bench and hope I can tell if it is working before re-installing the motor in the bike. Everything so far has went like clockwork and fits up just the way you said it would. I am also replacing my faulty neutral switch that stays on all the time, cleaning the oil filter screen, giving the engine a new paint job, polishing and clearcoating the aluminum covers and cleaning the carbs while I have it on the bench. I have the stainless steel to make the 42 mm pushrod so I need to get that done yet. I should have the seal by the end of the week so I will keep you posted on the results! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to tell if it is working while it is on the bench without the engine running?
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Probably just as easy to drop the engine in and test it as to rig something up?
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

Hi Sunnbobb, was thinking about hooking up the clutch master cylinder and bleeding it while it is still on the bench but not sure if I can tell anything when I get it hooked up without it in the bike and running?
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

If you have done everything by the book, there should be no issues. However, you could hook it up to check "the feel"..maybe turn the drive shaft to see if it frees up..

1978 Learning Experience
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

sunnbobb wrote:If you have done everything by the book, there should be no issues. However, you could hook it up to check "the feel"..maybe turn the drive shaft to see if it frees up..
That's exactly what I did with mine. I had my engine on a trolley jack (with a big square plate welded to to a spare jack pad) to get it close to the bike, then just connected it up. You can only tell if it is freeing off though, and where the bite point is, but not if it's going to slip. I slipped a drive shaft onto the engine to give me a bit of leverage so as to check that (watch you don't lever it off the bench or the jack!) but obviously you can't simulated the torque of an engine.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

That sounds like a plan, just to be sure it frees up and where the bite point is before I put it back in the bike. There sure won't be any room to do much with it after it is back in the bike. I hope I can get in there to hook up the line and get to the bleeder.
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

Hey guys; Well here it is October and I still have the engine on the bench. I got the master cylinder hooked up and bled and can here the slave cylinder working, but I can't seem to get the clutch to release. I thought maybe the 42 mm pin was a bit short and not releasing so I made a 45 mm pin and tried it and all that did was change where the handle bottomed out on the master cylinder when I squeezed it, so pin too short aparently is not the problem. I re-installed the 42 mm pin.
I have never tried to turn a output shaft with the motor in gear and the clutch pulled in before! I am wondering how hard the output shaft is suppose to turn? Will it turn as easy as if the transmission was in neutral? Maybe I need to possably put a drive shaft on it for more leverage to get it to turn? I am only useing my fingers to try and turn it so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated guys, thank's!
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Well, I didn't try to turn it without the shaft, but I doubt you can do it just with fingers. I think there would be too much drag. You did oil everything down as you rebuilt the clutch?
If you haven't got a spare shaft, to save pulling the one out of the bike wrap the output shaft in rags and use a set of locking vice grips on it to give yourself some leverage. That should be sufficient I think.
if it still won't free you have a problem somewhere.

You will need to bleed the system again after using the 45m pin. At that length it will have pushed the piston back far enough that the seal will come back across the feed hole and you will have lost hydraulic oil into the clutch area. With no pressure possible, the longer pin would not achieve anything.
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

Hey thank's for the reply. I will try the vice grip thing and see what happens. I didn't know how hard it might turn. I'll also re- bleed the system.
MichiganWinger
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by MichiganWinger »

Hey Guys; The clutch works!!! I re-bled the system and tried the rag and vice grip trick and was very plesantly surprised that the clutch disengaged! I can feel when it frees off and when it starts to bite. It feels good on the lever and the lever works as easy as my 1984 trike if not a little better!!! Now I can't wait to get the motor back in the frame and take it for it's first ride. What a great conversion and what a great bunch of guys that helped me through the whole thing! Thank's to Old Fogey and Sunnbobb
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Yeah! action1 action1
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I bet that eliminates the annoying turn the handlebars while clutch is just biting on these?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Old Fogey gets the kudos on this one. I had no idea if the vice grip would work.. thanks for stepping up to the plate there!

1978 Learning Experience