One dummys idea for a sidestand dummy light

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

wdwillis
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: One dummys idea for a sidestand dummy light

Post by wdwillis »

hey there, i hate to necro an old thread, but it is an amazing thread indeed, and i think i might have something valid to add to it.

I respect the work already done, I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
I am very forgetful about my stand, and paranoid about double, and triple checking it... or just forgetting it entirely (ADHD has it's downfalls as well you see)

I love the idea of using an existing indicator light in some way, but my initial concepts brought me to putting in it's own led, and wiring it to a mercury switch affixed to the stand.
Mercury switches are perfect for this, as there are no mechanical/moving parts to wear out, or worry about getting wet. you just have to orient the switch so that it opens when the stand is up, thereby killing the light, and closes when the stand is not up, thereby lighting the light....

pretty much a little solder, some wire, an led, and the mercury switch, less than $5.00 USD, and you have what you need... of course, you might also want a drill to cut your indicator mount, and possibly a screw for mounting the mercury switch...

Like I said, the main benefits would be not being mechanical, or having moving parts, and being inherently water resistant... seems like it is the perfect solution to this issue.

as an edit, i used the term mercury switch, since that was what they were called when i was a kid, and they were still mad with mercury (some places still do)
i worked in a machine shop a few years back, and we produced what basically amounted to a mercury switch, but without the whole "using toxic chemicals" or "being made out of glass" thing. but searching on mercury switch should yield results related to what i am talking about.
Current Stable:
Blue 1978 GL1000 - 55k
Brown 1978 GL1000 - 31k
Black 1980 Interstate 1100 - 40k (son's bike)
1981 yamaha xs100
1985 yamaha venture royale
2001 honda shadow spirit 1100
CB 400
and a 600R raptor 4 wheeler, just cuz
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

the mercury switch idea sounds good, but i would be concerned about the switch being activated by the movement of the bike under normal acceleration, and leaning from side to side in corners
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

I was thinking mercury switch myself, but availability and durability are both in doubt. Sporting goods stores sell tip up lights for night ice fishing that are cheap, relatively weather proof, and are built to be knocked around. As an aside, any time you wire up a new circuit, there should be a fuse protecting the circuit from shorting to ground and burning your bike down.
Terry
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
Ramset
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ramset »

Could the switch be wired to the horn?
Ben

"...Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Chief Tecumseh

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"Besides who needs a tach.. I let her rev untill she quits pulling, then I upshift." Fish

1978 gl1000 (my first gl)
1978 gl1000 (Father's Day present to my dad)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Could be wired to anything, including the horn. But I would recommend using a relay if you do
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200