One dummys idea for a sidestand dummy light

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

One dummys idea for a sidestand dummy light

Post by gregforesi »

Searching around NGW I found a post from a couple years ago (Go to thread) that discusses adding a safety switch to the sidestand. It appears that "Recycled Roadkill" successfully added a switch to the existing "Run / Don't Run" logic on his bike. (The stock logic circuit involves the clutch switch, neutral light, and starter switch circuit). He was going to post a circuit diagram but apparently didn't get around to it. I have been thinking about the same type of thing, but I decided that just having a light that comes on when the sidestand is down would be sufficient for me. A left turn with the sidestand down can ruin your whole day.

Using the high beam indicator light as a dummy light is much simpler to wire. Finding a suitable switch and mounting it to the bike is the hard part.

E-bay has numerous switches that were removed from other bikes. My idea here requires one that is "normally closed" when the plunger is extended. Switches made for bikes should be weatherproof.

What I don't know about electricity fills libraries - but this seems pretty simple.
I thought I'd run this past everyone for comments. (The diode keeps the current from backing up to the high beam of the headlight when the sidestand is down.)
Sidestand Switch Schematic.jpg
Sidestand Switch Schematic.jpg (85.49 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Re: One dummys idea for a sidestand dummy light

Post by Roady »

gregforesi wrote:A left turn with the sidestand down can ruin your whole day.
Or in some cases it can ruin a year...

I'm thinking of adding a bright light, probably in the top of the headlight housing so there shouldn't be a need for a diode.

What I'm interested in is the mounting of the "normally open" switch and specs for the switch.

Also, I moved this to the How-To forum. So after you develop this, please edit your first post with the finished How-To instructions. Thx.
Uncle Dave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/drhdc39/

Post by Uncle Dave »

Also, give us a heads-up when someone comes up with a weatherproof switch source. This is a great idea!
1979 Naked Gold Wing
1986 Aspencade Touring
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

I will try to source a switch and develop a bracket.

A normally open switch would need to be mounted so that the sidestand hits it when the stand is down and the contacts get closed. That likely means it would be in front of the stand and mounted low.

A normally closed switch would be mounted so that the switch gets hit when it's in the up position (the contacts would open). That would put the switch above the stand mount. Just looking and imagining, I like that one better.

On E-Bay nobody tells you whether it's a N/C or N/O switch. I gotta do a little research.

If I find a suitable switch (either type) I will come up with a bracket for that particular switch.

Whether you add a light or use the High Beam light (as I describe) the switch mount will work. Just a matter of your preference after that.
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
backyardbob
High Mileage Guru

Post by backyardbob »

After ruining several days back in '86 :oops: I installed a system similar to gregs with a beeper instead of a light...it has saved my butt more than once since...
i finally made it past the junkyard dogs!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

If a switch can be figured out, I think it would useful to wire it into the neutral switch circuit, so if you put the bike in gear with the kickstand down, the engine dies?
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

What about using a switch setup like the one used on the rear brake? Fabricate a bracket, attach a spring and wire it up. Just a thought.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

I use a series of solid state/electronic switches in much of my equipment and they are waterproof and very durable. They are called proximity switches and detect metal as it gets close to the tip ( non contact ). Many look like a fine thread 12 mm stud with wires coming out of the back end. Some can operate on 12 volts. The only issues I see is the price and they can only handle a small amount of current ( .1 amp ) and would require a relay to run much of a light or beeper. or maybe a short blast of the horn??

Let me know if this is a direction we want to try and I will try to draw something up. It is not complicated but the switch is damaged if wired incorrectly.

This is a reoccurring thread and is a serious problem that most uf us have run into.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Uncle Dave
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/drhdc39/

Post by Uncle Dave »

Serious thread indeed! I ‘launched’ off of my ’86 back in 2005 on a ride for the Shrine Hospitals and landed on my left hip much like a baseball player sliding into base. It was the ambulance ride, call to the wife from the hospital and big bux for the hospital visit. No broken bones, but a total lower body bruise that covered all of my male geography, if you get my drift.
That hip still bugs me to this day. All this from forgetting the side stand at a stop at C-store followed by a left sweeper about 300 yards down the road. Am I interested in this thread? You bet I am.
If you could wire it into the TURN SIGNAL BEEPER you would NEVER forget to put that side stand up unless you were s***face drunk, Lord forbid, or deaf.
Something as simplistic as a buzzer and/or a bulb that came on as soon as you turn on the ignition and you had to turn it off manually it would be a step in the right direction – kinda like a string around your finger to remember something. Just thinking ...
1979 Naked Gold Wing
1986 Aspencade Touring
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

gregforesi wrote:S
What I don't know about electricity fills libraries - but this seems pretty simple.
I thought I'd run this past everyone for comments. (The diode keeps the current from backing up to the high beam of the headlight when the sidestand is down.)
Sidestand Switch Schematic.jpg
you have the diode in upside down. The positive current always flows in the direction of the arrow part of the diode schematic. The way you have it when the bright lights are on no current will flow toward the light so it won't illuminate when you have brights on. Also when the switch sends 12 v to the diode it goes to the bright light filament and a little goes to the light.

+12v -------------------->|----------------- +12v (Actually about 11.4 as there is a .6 volt drop across a diode)
+12v---------------------|<------------------0v
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
BladeRunner
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BladeRunner »

I had this in the back of my mind for some time now; I wrote-off a 1984 Aspencade because of leaving the side stand down :shock: :oops: :roll: :roll:
I just got a side stand switch from e-bay..it's off a 1500. It was listed as a side stand switch anyway, I really don't even know if they have one :oops: It looks like it is weather proof, would this work? I have 2 1200's and was thinking to hook this up maybe to a super bright flashing L.E.D. mounted in the speaker grill. So, for those who know, do the 1500's actually have this switch? :?:
Barry Fletcher.."it wasn't me..I've got a twin".
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gregforesi »

1. PROXIMITY SWITCH The 1800 (and maybe the 1500) uses a rotary switch. When I looked at my 1800 I had the feeling that it was a proximity switch. Anyway it inputs into the bikes microprocessor. The various inputs in the Run/Don't Run logic are considered and if things are OK you can ride off. I don't think a prox is the answer for a simple indicator system but it might be suited when a sidestand switch is added to the interlock logic. A rotary switch from an 1800 would require major surgery to the sidestand and it's mount. I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

2. BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH A brake light switch would work as long as the attachment point for the spring was close enough to the pivot of the sidestand. If it's too far from the pivot then the stroke gets too long for the switch. Welding the attachment point to the sidestand might be more work than is required for other solutions. (Especially if the sidestand in question has already been powdercoated).

3. A BUZZER instead of a light would be fine. Personally I don't want to listen to a buzzer when I have the bike running on the sidestand for 3 or 4 minutes waiting for it to warm up.

5. The sidestand KILL SWITCH was my first thought and it seems that Recycled Roadkill managed to add a sidestand switch to the logic on an old wing. I want something really simple. The current logic on an old wing involves the clutch switch and the neutral light. Adding another switch to the logic means adding additional "IF" statements that must necessarily be done using relays and diodes.

4. SYMBOL IS BACKWARDS I thought the symbol was to be oriented like a hydraulic check valve where the hydraulic flow lifts the ball off the stop. Reverse flow shoves the arrow against the stop. This reference indicates current flow "lifts" the arrow off the stop. I'll have it straight when I finalize this. The voltage drop across a cheapy diode shouldn't stop a 7watt bulb from lighting or a small buzzer from buzzing.
Diode flow.png
Diode flow.png (7.02 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

I am not sure where you got that image of a diode but it is wrong. I can assure you that this image is correct in current flow. While searching for this I did manage to find 2 other images that had it backwards. I am sure those were typos. I've been servicing electronics since the mid 1970's and diodes or any other semi-conductors have not changed.

http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/i ... t-flow.gif[/img]
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Over the years, I have become real good at ignoring 'idiot' lights. :oops: As an alternative I offer this with some changes to the logic.

1. Clutch HAS to be held in to enable the starter circuit. Neutral switch removed from the logic.

2. Bike MUST be in neutral 'OR' side stand MUST be up to complete the ignition circuit. If neither are not true, the bike 'WILL NOT RUN.'

3. I wanted to disable the starter circuit with the stand/neutral logic but didn't want to mess with the headlight circuit coming off the start switch. If the circuit failed, at night, I'd want to see where I was steering to to get off the road. It can be done, but gets more complicated.

4. A compilation from comparing circuits on a GL1800, VS1400, and GL1000.

I am also thinking on a mod to the 'idiot light' concept. High beam and neutral alternating (or for the early 1000's with the RLU bypassed, using the unused 'Head' and 'Tail' lights.) Should be doable with an electronic flasher.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Very good Ron!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.