Another side stand switch

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Jetubet
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Another side stand switch

Post by Jetubet »

This is my first attempt at a how-to on here. I wanted to install a buzzer and have the side stand switch difficult to see. The switch pivots with the side stand instead of mounting the switch and letting the stand come into contact with it. No holes were drilled into the bike. I'm not sure this is the best way. It's just one way. Maybe others will get ideas from it. We love pictures.

Here's a short parts list. A buzzer, Switches, and Wire. All from Radio Shack. Less than 20 bucks. And some sheet metal stock I had, part of an old traffic sign.

ImageImageImage

Here's the side stand with the peg removed and the side stand removed.
Image Image

Fabricating the switch mount from some sheet stock. The cutting wheel pic is just to get the idea, don't worry about my foot.
Image Image Image

Drilling the hole for the pivot bolt. Filing, mounting and bending tabs. The finished mount before paint.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Soldering wires, heat shrink tubing.
Image Image Image

Switch installed in mount. Mount installed on side stand.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

The power came off the accessory terminal at the fuse block. The buzzer had to be moved because where it is in this pic the tank shelter frame rested on it. There is an inline fuse 3A on this setup. I want to add a light later, the buzzer isn't loud enough, I guess I'll change it too.
Image Image Image

A final note. I don't know if the wires will stay off the exhaust when the bike is underway. I found that if I bundled the wires, they would deflect and break the small electrical prongs off the switch. I went with small parts to keep them hidden. The wires are obvious as I need to keep some slack so they don't bind when the side stand is retracted. I'll update if this doesn't work out.
Last edited by Jetubet on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1983 Goldwing 1100 Standard
Candy Regal Brown
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Re: Another side stand switch

Post by gregforesi »

That is a nice effort.
I found that the terminals on those little switches are not very robust. Good thing they come more than one to a pack.
I would have some concern about the copper wires flexing repeatedly. They can work harden, get brittle, and break.
Your bracket is a piece of work. Very nice. Did you take a sheet metal layout class someshere?

I pulled my bike out today and I noticed that in bright sunlight I couldn't see the high-beam indicator light. It wasn't acceptable so I'm revising my plan (I'm up to plan D) to include adding a neon lamp that is really bright. Radio Shack 272-0704 I think. It's the one I'm using for my shift light/sidestand dummy light. I'll probably post it tomorrow. You might be able to use the little lamp bracket I came up with. It mounts at the choke knob bracket.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Great job. The pictures really help. Nice visualization of how to build a bracket too.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I'm, looking for a speaker and wire it up to say,"Hey, Stupid!!!!! You're side stand is down." I like the idea of a buzzer or other noise maker, but one where you could disable when warming up the bike.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Jetubet
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Jetubet »

Well, the anemic buzzer had to go. I had a leftover backup alarm from ecco. At 97db mounted at the rear of the coolant tank I don't think I need a light anymore. Besides, if I back up with the kickstand down, it should be good for a laugh.
1983 Goldwing 1100 Standard
Candy Regal Brown
FADM Stern GNSF
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by FADM Stern GNSF »

I like the idea and have started working on one for my bike. I think Im going to do it a bit different and use 2 lights (may add a buzzer later and then use it to beep with the turn indicators as well. I want to set it up so it will show when the stand is all the up AND all the way down. I know on my CX I have had the stand down, but not all the way, and it only takes a little bit to have the stand pop up. Now sure about the wing, but I really want to make sure when its down its ALL the way dawn :)
1979 GL1000
1982 CX500C