Speedometer 'Trip Meter' Boot Fix

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Speedometer 'Trip Meter' Boot Fix

Post by Placerville »

Here's an acceptable DIY fix for those of you who are rebuilding your gauges and in need of a replacement for a missing or damaged Trip Meter boot. Below is a photo of the finished product. My original '76 gauge is on the top and the DIY fix is on the bottom. Not identical, but it's weatherproof, looks clean and it's easy to do. This fix can only be done with a disassembled gauge.

To start, these are the tools you'll need. (Not shown is a heat gun that you'll also be using). Note that the speedo has been disassembled down to the outer shell with no glass or interior ring. The DIY boot will be made of 3/8" shrink tubing. There are different surface finishes and colors of tubing available. I chose a flat black for this demonstration as it best resembles the original. Use whatever you want, but it must be 3/8".

Here are close-ups of three of the tools above so you'll know what to use. They are: A 3/4" step drill bit....

Elmer's (low-foaming) Glue-All Max...

and a standard Fine Point Sharpie with the cap clip broken off and ragged edge filed smooth.

To begin, cut a piece of tubing no shorter than 1 1/8".

With your step drill, enlarge the Trip Meter hole to 1/2". This is a very small increase in it's original size and won't be noticeable. It's purpose is to allow the Trip Meter knob to move more easily through the hole.

Take the 1 1/8" piece of shrink tubing you cut and slide it half-way down a pair of needle nose pliers. Pull the handles open and stretch the bottom half of the tubing to about 1/2" so it will fit the new diameter of the Trip Meter hole. If you overstretch it, give a minute, and it will contract.

Insert the tubing into the hole until the 'short side' of the end is about 3/16" past the inner edge. The 'long side' doesn't matter. Insert the tapered end of the Sharpie (did you remember to shave off the clip?) into the tubing. As it moves in, it will stretch the tubing out to fit the hole. This next part is important: As you see in the photo, make sure that your alignment is 90 degrees with the top notch. In the following photo, note that the tubing is also at 90 degrees with the body. If you don't get this right, your results will be less than satisfactory. At this point, make sure that your Sharpie top is FIRMLY in place. Any gaps between the tubing and the metal wall will allow the glue you'll be using in the next step to seep out.

Before you perform this next step, as stated above, ensure that your tubing is at 90 degrees and the cap is FIRMLY in place. Next, turn the body up so the tubing is vertical and apply a small bead of glue around the point where the tubing contacts the gauge body. This glue foams a bit and will rise onto the side of the tubing to help hold it in place. Now, with the body still in a vertical position, clamp it lightly in a vise to dry overnight. You want the glue to stay put, so make sure the body is not tilted.

After it dries, the results should look something like this. Trim off any excess tubing that extends past the edge of the glue.

Now, clean the interior of the gauge's glass lens, drop it in and follow that with the inner ring.

With a Q-Tip, apply some ArmorAll (or it's slippery equivalent) to the inside of the tubing and on the exterior of the Trip Meter knob. Take your lower housing and place it into the upper housing while sliding the Trip Meter knob into the tubing. Line up the edges of the housings and their notches.

With the knob inside the tubing, note that the knob's bottom edge shows through. Measure 1/8" out from that point and make a mark. Next, carefully remove the lower housing while sliding the knob smoothly out of the tubing. Now, cut the tubing squarely on your mark.

Re-insert the lower housing and Trip Meter knob and the results should look like this.

Now, tilt the lower housing up and push the knob out the end of the tubing as far as it will go.

Using a heat gun held approximately 8" from the tip of the tubing, apply heat while constantly rotating the tip of the gun around the end of the tubing. Use a back-and-forth waving motion so as not to allow too much heat to be focused on the tubing. Doing so allows the end of the tubing to shrink more uniformly. As soon as you see the tip begin to contract, stop and check for fit. If you shrink the end of the tubing onto the shaft, you've gone too far. Take your time. The results should look about like this.

Now, place the top and bottom halves together and check for uniformity and fit. If the tubing bottoms-out into the interior of the knob and buckles, trim off a very small amount of the tubing and re-fit. At this point you are ready to attach your faceplate. With the new boot in place, you can no longer separate the upper and lower halves, but that's okay. You can easily maneuver the upper body out of the way to allow yourself enough room to place the faceplate and insert the screws. Good luck!

Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Speedometer 'Trip Meter' Boot Fix

Post by robin1731 »

That is a very nice fix.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

A good fix, and a great write up, thanks.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Pooch
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Pooch »

Nice job! I'll keep it in mind if I need it.
76 GL1000
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Well done Placerville. Mine has a little tear in it. I already have the gauges back together but my knob is broken and I haven't permanently re-attached it yet. I think I can modify your idea and make a shrink tube cover for the boot.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Yes, I can see how that would work. Maybe some glue in the tube prior to sliding it on, then shrink it down on the other end. Good luck.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

This belongs in Shoptalk. Nice tutorial. Thanks for your efforts.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Yes, definitely ShopTalk material. Very Well Done!

Also, moved this to the How-To For Wings forum.