First Time Paint Job

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: First Time Paint Job

Post by Cakey »

I wanted to set up all the panels together and keep them raised off the spray area so I could get to paint the edges properly.

I decide on painting the base of the panels first so that any overspray could be rubbed back before painting the topside.

Also because I was nervous about doing my first proper paint job if I had any runs or stuffed it up I could fix it without it being on view to the world being on the backside of the panel.

I was glad that I did because I found with the curves of the panels it was heaps harder to paint the back than the front of the panels.

It really comes down to the individual if they hang parts or lay parts down. On the past I have found that the parts move around to much with the rattle can jobs I have done before. People who do it more than me would have a better idea of what is wrong or right.
Attachments
Using cardboard boxes and plastic lids to lift the panels
Using cardboard boxes and plastic lids to lift the panels
image.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 284 times
The most difficult thing was to get the side panels at the right angle.
The most difficult thing was to get the side panels at the right angle.
image.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

Alright it's time to mix. I think most of the paints have a warning of not spraying with high humidity or in high temperatures but in Darwin we don't have a choice. It's coming to the end of the wet season and this day was was just like any other. 35 degrees Celsius and 99% humidity. That's life living in the tropics.

This direct gloss paint is 3:1:1

3 part paint
1 part thinner (they gave me acrylic high gloss thinner even though its an 2 pack paint)
1 part hardener

I purchased chemical safe measuring jugs and especially important paint sieves. For the back of the panels I went with 200 ml paint, 70 ml thinner and 70 ml hardener. Measured and mixed all together and then ran from one clean glass coffee jar through a fine paint sieve to the next clean coffee jar
Attachments
Paint and chemical
Paint and chemical
image.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Paint jars
Paint jars
image.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Gave the paint a good stir and you can see the paint and the solids mixing together
Gave the paint a good stir and you can see the paint and the solids mixing together
image.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Measure the quantities in the paint measuring jug and mix together in one of the glass jars
Measure the quantities in the paint measuring jug and mix together in one of the glass jars
image.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

I found the coffee jars good because they sealed the mixed paint really well in between coats.

My gravity gun holds 200 ml of paint at a time but I did not want to run the risk of any runs or spills at the top when I had to hold the gun over to get the angles, so I only filled up about 120mls at a time.

Mask on and ready to go.
Attachments
Mixture ready to run through the seive
Mixture ready to run through the seive
image.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Run through the sieve before going in the gun
Run through the sieve before going in the gun
image.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

After doing the hard to get pieces and edges I made sure I had a good wide spray pattern and then continued with the paint on all covers.

Made sure I followed the contours of the panels keeping and even 27 psi. Keeping the gun about 20cm away and starting the trigger before the start of the spray sweep across the panel and only taking the trigger off after completing the run past the panel edge.

I let each coat flash dry for 20 minutes in between coats and worked on the bike in the down time.

I ran about 100 ml of thinner through the gun in between coats so that it did not block up.

I got a couple of small runs but nothing that upset me too much. It psyched me up to do well on the top of the panel and gave me a bit of practice.

Also with the candy paints they recommend that you overlay your spray 70% over the last run so that's what I aimed for.

I am just going by my own research not personnel experience.
Attachments
I wanted to spray all the edges and the hard to get to places on the first coat.
I wanted to spray all the edges and the hard to get to places on the first coat.
image.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Tank panels back
Tank panels back
image.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Side cover back
Side cover back
image.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 284 times
All panels in the spare room for a couple of days after spraying to cure up
All panels in the spare room for a couple of days after spraying to cure up
image.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

So the back of the panels all packed away to cure for a couple of days after they had dried for about an hour. Time to clean up the spray booth and make sure that the gun is thoroughly stripped and clean as I will not be using it for a couple of day. If you have some general purpose thinners to clean up with it might be cheaper than the high gloss stuff.
Attachments
Gun pulled apart
Gun pulled apart
image.jpg (80.99 KiB) Viewed 284 times
And again
And again
image.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

Ok so after a couple of days I was game enough to handle the panels and see if I had any rubbing to do. I went really hard on the edges of the tank side covers so they had some rubbing to do to feather it out with 600 wet.

Gave them a rub and dry and then ready to go again. It took hardly anything to do.
Attachments
Rubbing the over spray
Rubbing the over spray
image.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Wet rubbed until I was happy with the finish
Wet rubbed until I was happy with the finish
image.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 284 times
1975 Gl1000
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

you're gamer than me.. lolol i just paid a spray painter and said ...call me when its done :lol: looking good .
ps
check your email .some good news and some not so good. :lol:
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

So I cleaned and got the spray booth ready again after a couple of days and then set all the panels up again.

I was aiming for the money shot now so I visually checked everything again and made sure I was happy with everything. I was glad I did because I missed one spot on a tank side panel.

Went through the paint mixing process again but used 300 ml of paint because I wanted four coats on the top

300ml direct gloss paint
100 thinners
100 hardener

I found the top of the panels heaps easier to paint and had no runs and was really happy with the results. I managed to get four good coats with 20 minutes flash dry time in between each coat.

Same again with let it dry for an hour and then put away for a week before putting on the bike. Clean everything because I might not be using the gun for a while.

Now with this direct gloss paint there is no clear gloss layers and it came up great.

The decals and striping I bought said that they did not need to be clear coated on so that's the way I went.
Attachments
Setting up the panels
Setting up the panels
image.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Couple of coats
Couple of coats
image.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Tank panel
Tank panel
image.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Top panel
Top panel
image.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 282 times
Panels
Panels
image.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 282 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

All right getting to the good stuff and dressing my lady!
Attachments
Someone has already laid their claim
Someone has already laid their claim
image.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Little bit more
Little bit more
image.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 281 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

So now it's wait time for a couple of weeks for a buff. I did get some dust particles so might even go 1500 wet and then a buff. That's it finished except for decals
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.7 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.4 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 281 times
1975 Gl1000
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

It's not original but I like it.

By the way I am by no means a spray painter, this is just how I did it and I hope it helps someone else.

All the best
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.63 KiB) Viewed 281 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 281 times
1975 Gl1000
handyman1018
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by handyman1018 »

Thanks so much for documenting this. I am in the same spot, first time paint job and looking at using some cans for priming and a spray gun for finishing. Nice common sense approach with great results. Oh and the bike looks fantastic!!!
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

Thanks mate. Hope it helps. After getting this one out the way and the bike finished I might up the anti with another spare set of panels that I have out the back but it was a good place for me to start. I was worried about doing both the plastic and the metal together. I had some horror stories with paint reaction with my rattle can jobs on the CX500's. I did not know at the time that a lot of it had to do with the spray can filler I was using reacting with the plastics.

After doing this one I will not go back to rattle can anymore. I had painted the frame with that touch up gun using the POR paint because I wanted a rock hard paint for the frame and the running gear. I think it's pretty easy to get away with painting the frame though so the panels were the ones I was really trying to get right.

It's not that I couldn't afford to get it painted its just that I wanted the satisfaction of saying I did the whole thing.

I only really back into bikes a couple of years ago with my CX500's in to get the Carbies and thanks to the members of NGW, people like Aussie Gold here in Australia and countless others I am giving it a go. I am sure you will to.

I know that there are others out there that would have different and better methods, equipment and painting systems but this was a good starting place for me so I could get better.
Attachments
Frame and running gear ready for POR treatment paint
Frame and running gear ready for POR treatment paint
image.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Putting frame back together
Putting frame back together
image.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 280 times
1975 Gl1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Nice looking results with an Excellent presentation action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
luludog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by luludog »

Great write up with photos showing the process and the excellent work. This will come in handy when I do my first bike painting. Thanks!
-Ray

1977 GL1000 - http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40398
1975 CB750K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40426
1971 CB175K5 - stock restoration http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 95&start=0
1972 CB350 - resto-mod cafe project http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47429

"Remembering the Past... Liv'n the Dream"