Refinishing Chrome by Going To The Dark Side

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Refinishing Chrome by Going To The Dark Side

Post by tomk1960 »

Since I started powder coating over 4 years ago, I've had many guys ask me if I could PC a part that was previously chromed. At first I thought that covering up chrome was a travesty, until I refinished a chrome headlight ring on a friend's Ducati Monster. It was the only chrome piece on the whole bike and didn't look right, so he had me do it in semi-gloss black. I couldn't believe the difference that little change made!

Since then I've refinished many previously chromed parts with good success. The key is starting with a part that isn't heavily pitted and has decent quality chrome still on it. I can blast with aluminum oxide and end up with an excellent surface profile for good powder adhesion. I recently received a luggage rack/sissy bar had it's share of issues - especially with the luggage rack part Most of the chrome was gone, almost like it evaporated, and it started to rust. In the picture it's partially blasted:

Here's a closeup of what I had to work with in regards to the luggage rack base:

and even closer...

There was pitting left after blasting, but nothing bad enough to stop the job. After blasting all of the parts, they were scrubbed and outgassed. Then addressing the rust was next. A heavy coat of zinc primer was applied in powder form and partially cured:

Then while they're still around 150 degrees warm, the final coat of super mirror black was applied.

Here are the parts in the oven just before the powder started to flow out:

And finally, the finished product, ready to go back on the bike:

So an ugly, worn-out looking chromed rack has come back to life and will look great back on the bike. Here's one I did for another guy that he was nice enough to send a picture of installed:

The moral of the story is this - you may not have to toss that previously chromed part just because it's looking worn out. A second life in a different color might just be what it needs to look new again.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
NewWinger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Refinishing Chrome by Going To The Dark Side

Post by NewWinger »

Hey Nice work.
IS that an old Fridge converted to an electric oven?
Neat rig. action1
Kenny
Illegitimi non carborundum
'77 GL1000 my first bike @58
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

NewWinger wrote:Hey Nice work.
IS that an old Fridge converted to an electric oven?
Neat rig. action1
Good eyes Kenny - yes it is. In it's previous life, it was a medium sized "Norge" refrigerator. It was perfect for swingarms, wheels, and almost any other motorcycle part besides the frames, so I did the conversion a few years ago and it's been working out great ever since. I even set it up with a digital controller scavenged from a home kitchen range that was being scrapped.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

Man that looks nice!!
1976 GL1000 "Double Nature" https://youtu.be/IK0YS2uuZtc
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

The finished product looks excellent. And, I learned something. I didn't know there was a 'primer' process for powder coating. I always thought that powder coating was applied directly to bare metal. Do you always use primer or was it just used in this case due to the pitting? And, if that's the case, how does the application of primer resolve (fill) the pitted areas?
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

That's beautiful work, Tom.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I had a lot of chrome parts powder coated in 09 and they still look great today. The process used was the same as you described. Good to see a member able to do this again and with excellent results.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Placerville wrote:The finished product looks excellent. And, I learned something. I didn't know there was a 'primer' process for powder coating. I always thought that powder coating was applied directly to bare metal. Do you always use primer or was it just used in this case due to the pitting? And, if that's the case, how does the application of primer resolve (fill) the pitted areas?
Placer - you're right in that powder coating is often applied directly to metal. I don't use it every time I refinish a part. In cases where there's heavy rust or pitting, a primer coat can help to fill small pits but more importantly, prevent rust from coming back. With heavy pitting, there's no way to hide it, but an extra coat or two can help smooth it out some. In cases like frames, they should be primed if there was any sign of rust. The effort to add this step isn't that bad and to skip it on such a large part would be a shame if the rust eventually comes back.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

is it possible to do the primer, let it cure, and then do the top coat at a later time? or does the primer always have to be half baked when the finish coat is applied
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

CYBORG wrote:is it possible to do the primer, let it cure, and then do the top coat at a later time? or does the primer always have to be half baked when the finish coat is applied
I can check on that for you and should have an answer later today. I think the answer is probably yes, that it can be cured and top coated later, but you'd have to be careful not to touch it with bare hands since the oil in your fingers will mess up the top coat.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

thanks. i don't do any myself, but would like to someday. (when i get my dream shop)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Cyborg,- my supplier said that you can do a partial cure and shoot the final coat several days later if you wanted to. He also said that you just have to be careful how you handle the part in between coats.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000