Winter project

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

I don't have the specific formula,but if you put the same torque value on a fine thread nut on a head stud that you put on the head bolt,you have significantly increased the pressure between the two surfaces. Clamping force is great and holds gaskets in place UNTIL you exceed the yield strength in one of the objects being clamped together! In the back of what I use for a mind I'm a little concerned about this in the case of a 'wing head. If I were going to go this route(studs and nuts versus head bolts) I think I would do some research on how much the increase might be? Jus' wonderin'.
Ron
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
ffwd
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by ffwd »

RebelRouser wrote:It's Got To Be That Dammed Dihydrogen Monoxide :roll: , They Must Have Found Out I Signed That Petition To Bann That Stuff.... :-? Or Is It The Government Just Trying To Keep The Man Down, Us Wingers Are Getting To Big, Too Many Numbers, Too Orginized.... :twisted:
hehe.....you never know,and especially with eastern block countrys as Romania. the bolsevics are still there...:P
i wanna go fast......and smooth:)
Roblack
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Re: Fine thread head studs

Post by Roblack »

I agree with hmratbam. Threads are a simple machine (levers and ramps). If you switch to a fine thread you a switching to a ramp with a more gentle slope. It therefore takes less force to pull an object up the ramp. Thus by using the same torque valve on a finer thread you are getting a greater pull on the fastener. This greater pull could pull the treads from the aluminum case.
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re:

Post by tlbranth »

RebelRouser wrote:It's Got To Be That Dammed Dihydrogen Monoxide :roll: , They Must Have Found Out I Signed That Petition To Bann That Stuff.... :-? Or Is It The Government Just Trying To Keep The Man Down, Us Wingers Are Getting To Big, Too Many Numbers, Too Orginized.... :twisted:
.......too good at spelling
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750