Rebuild Air Shocks or Replace?

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

driesterer
Tin Member
Tin Member

Rebuild Air Shocks or Replace?

Post by driesterer »

Does anyone have any input on rebuilding OEM air socks vs. replacing them? Rebuild kits are $195.00 here and I saw some used ones on ebay for a fourth of that. What to do on a low budget? Of course, Safety comes first.
1980 GL1100
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

helps to know what year bike... are these oem or aftermarket... and is the problem just leaking... replacing the seals is a lot cheaper than the rebuild kit you mention.... there is a 1200 rebuild thread I did on the "howto" forum
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
driesterer
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by driesterer »

rcmatt007 wrote:helps to know what year bike... are these oem or aftermarket... and is the problem just leaking... replacing the seals is a lot cheaper than the rebuild kit you mention.... there is a 1200 rebuild thread I did on the "howto" forum
1980 GL1100 Standard. With OEM shocks that hold air but bottom out when it sees a bump.
1980 GL1100
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

in that case most likely the spirng is shot and it is rebuild or replace
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
SBV
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by SBV »

I had the same problem, mine were old & wallowy, i was advised against cheap new ones so found some good used ones from a breaker.
Nice, cheap & working well
My other bike is a Lambretta
& Royal Enfield Bullet
& a BSA Sunbeam
mrbswing
Silver Member
Silver Member

buy or rebuild that is the question?

Post by mrbswing »

driesterer wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:helps to know what year bike... are these oem or aftermarket... and is the problem just leaking... replacing the seals is a lot cheaper than the rebuild kit you mention.... there is a 1200 rebuild thread I did on the "howto" forum
1980 GL1100 Standard. With OEM shocks that hold air but bottom out when it sees a bump.
I just rebuilt mine or should I say took them apart and put ATF fluid in them? one shock was froze, so I took them both apart, it is a messy job but not hard if you have an air compressor. Take them off pull the boots remove snap ring and try and drain them as much as possible wrap a few old rags around them and put one end in a vise and hang on to the other end with old rags because you are about to get a bath in ATF, apply air in spurts and it will come apart and the ATF will go every where, clean them inspect the seals and replace if they leaked put the correct amount of ATF and put them back together it is fun trying to get them back together because you have to put all the parts in at the same time and it don't look like there is enough room because the fluid is near the top but it will go together believe me..good luck and if you need any help give a yell..till then 8)
Mr Bill
(2)77 wings,two 83 wings 76 CB550 bobber,80 wing,CX500 turbo,700 Nighthawk,2 750 Yamaha triples,80 XS1100 yammy,CB360,600 yammy,CB750 s/s,and a few more? and my main bike(a beautiful 79 XS1100 Yamaha 19,000 miles) and it is very fast! Got another bike a 84 1200 Yamaha I think its a 1200? and more coming. Till then :8)

"DON'T TELL ME I AM WRONG UNLESS YOU ARE RIGHT"
Steeveo
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Steeveo »

Ditto. did mine. screwed the tee shirt I was wearing and put 20 weight shok oil in them. It is an 82 Interstate and will still bottom out on the sharp bumps but what a nice solid feel to the ride now compared to what I had.
82 Interstate
77 gl1000 project
mrbswing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mrbswing »

Steeveo wrote:Ditto. did mine. screwed the tee shirt I was wearing and put 20 weight shok oil in them. It is an 82 Interstate and will still bottom out on the sharp bumps but what a nice solid feel to the ride now compared to what I had.
Jenny Craig? weight watchers? just kidding I had to go for it I am that kind of guy always looking for the cheap shots so don't take me serious I am about 30 lbs over weight..it is a messy job..till then 8)
Mr Bill
(2)77 wings,two 83 wings 76 CB550 bobber,80 wing,CX500 turbo,700 Nighthawk,2 750 Yamaha triples,80 XS1100 yammy,CB360,600 yammy,CB750 s/s,and a few more? and my main bike(a beautiful 79 XS1100 Yamaha 19,000 miles) and it is very fast! Got another bike a 84 1200 Yamaha I think its a 1200? and more coming. Till then :8)

"DON'T TELL ME I AM WRONG UNLESS YOU ARE RIGHT"
driesterer
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by driesterer »

Thanks Mr. Bill.
I have been riding, but think about rebuilding the shocks everytime I do. I live 2 miles up a gravel road. With potholes. I go about 250 myself, so I feel it. Hard to work on it when you ride to work (7 days/week) every day. Mr. Bill I am a WI native myself. Grew up just north of you between Manitowac & Sheboygan. Need to get back to visit one of these days.
Thanks again. I guess I have some work to do.
Dennis
1980 GL1100
musicmanmitchell
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: Rebuild Air Shocks or Replace?

Post by musicmanmitchell »

nice
79' GL1000 "The Duke"

Let the good times roll, on my Gold Wing.
john1959
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: Rebuild Air Shocks or Replace?

Post by john1959 »

http://chuck.kichline.com/GoldWing/shocks/ i used this guys advise , worked great. really inexpensive compared to shock replacement. shocks are worthless if all the oil has leaked out even if it holds air.