Got Low Compression? Find Out Why

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Got Low Compression? Find Out Why

Post by ElPiloto »

To find the cause of your low compression for sure, get an old spark plug and beat the porcelein out of it. Remove the ground electrode and you will be left with just the steel shell with threads to screw into the spark plug hole.

Now, braze or weld an air fitting on it so that it will snap into an air line from a compressor.

Now, make sure the cylinder being tested is at top dead center.

Screw this tool into one cylinder at a time then snap on the air line with pressure at least at 100 psi.

Listen through a hose at the intake, take off the air cleaner lid and open the throttle all the way. If you hear hissing, you have a leaky intake valve.

Then listen at the exhaust. If you hear hissing, you have a leaky exhaust valve.

Take off the oil filler and listen inside the crankcase. If you hear the hissing, you have leaky or broken rings.

You can also diagnose a head gasket that is leaking compression into the coolant. Apply the pressure and, with the radiator filler cap off, listen, and watch, for bubbles in the coolant.
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
Zacsdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Zacsdaddy »

Great Tip!

Next time I change plugs I've got a new project!

Zacsdaddy
1981 GL1100 That Mama found and bought for me.
1975 KZ400D That I found for Her and brought back to life.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they ought to at least find you handy" - Red Green
hiddenone
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by hiddenone »

great tip. thanks
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."
--Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU
2-76 gl1000's
1-76 gl1000 LTD
1-parts 75 gl1000
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

If you check out Alley Kat's thread on the stem seals there is a good pic of the tool that EP is talking about.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14861
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
AXL Stubbs
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: Got Low Compression? Find Out Why

Post by AXL Stubbs »

Brilliant action1
AXL Stubbs
AXL Stubbs
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by AXL Stubbs »

Good trick, BAD news. I built the tool and filled my Dirty Bird full of of air.

I could not keep any amount of compressed air in. It seemed to be leaking out the intake valves mostly. Decided I'd check and maybe lap the valves and found one #1 and #3 pitted on the faces and #4 bent.

The bike ran (not super smooth) when I started this project and I don't really want to dump $100-150 on new valves. Can I lap these valves, re-install with the new head gaskets to recheck the compression? Will the new head gasket be ruined if I'm unsatisfied with compression?
AXL Stubbs
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Well I certainly would not buy new valves. Try a lap job first. If they do not seal up then look for used heads on Flea Bay. The valves have a coating and should not be ground but lapping is OK. For the one that is bent I would try asking around in the for sale section. I bet someone had some laying around that can be had for cheap.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
mrflamewerks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mrflamewerks »

AXL Stubbs wrote:Good trick, BAD news. I built the tool and filled my Dirty Bird full of of air.

I could not keep any amount of compressed air in. It seemed to be leaking out the intake valves mostly. Decided I'd check and maybe lap the valves and found one #1 and #3 pitted on the faces and #4 bent.

The bike ran (not super smooth) when I started this project and I don't really want to dump $100-150 on new valves. Can I lap these valves, re-install with the new head gaskets to recheck the compression? Will the new head gasket be ruined if I'm unsatisfied with compression?
What was the compression in each cylinder prior to doing the leak down test EP described?
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits.
> Unknown
He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
>B. Franklin
78 GL1000 Pending Resurrection
78 GL1000 Naked (gone to pieces)
83 GL1100 Interstate
99 GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate (Gone to the Darkside)
99 GL1500C Valkyrie Standard (Gone to the Darkside)
mrbswing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mrbswing »

ElPiloto wrote:To find the cause of your low compression for sure, get an old spark plug and beat the porcelein out of it. Remove the ground electrode and you will be left with just the steel shell with threads to screw into the spark plug hole.

Now, braze or weld an air fitting on it so that it will snap into an air line from a compressor.

Now, make sure the cylinder being tested is at top dead center.

Screw this tool into one cylinder at a time then snap on the air line with pressure at least at 100 psi.

Listen through a hose at the intake, take off the air cleaner lid and open the throttle all the way. If you hear hissing, you have a leaky intake valve.

Then listen at the exhaust. If you hear hissing, you have a leaky exhaust valve.

Take off the oil filler and listen inside the crankcase. If you hear the hissing, you have leaky or broken rings.

You can also diagnose a head gasket that is leaking compression into the coolant. Apply the pressure and, with the radiator filler cap off, listen, and watch, for bubbles in the coolant.
I am not trying to be the bad guy here BUT isn't it easier to take a comp test then put some oil in the cylinder to see if your comp comes up" which will tell you its the rings and if it don't come up its the valves then maybe go ahead with the test which would not really be needed because you would know if it was the rings or valves correct? the way I check the head once its off is by taking a piece of plexiglass and drilling a small hole in it to poor a liquid in and see if it leaks and it will run out the exhaust if its an exhaust valve or intake if its an intake valve! but what the heck do I know anyhow! dancr just a thought?
till then :8) no haters needed anim-cheers1
Mr Bill
(2)77 wings,two 83 wings 76 CB550 bobber,80 wing,CX500 turbo,700 Nighthawk,2 750 Yamaha triples,80 XS1100 yammy,CB360,600 yammy,CB750 s/s,and a few more? and my main bike(a beautiful 79 XS1100 Yamaha 19,000 miles) and it is very fast! Got another bike a 84 1200 Yamaha I think its a 1200? and more coming. Till then :8)

"DON'T TELL ME I AM WRONG UNLESS YOU ARE RIGHT"
mtclimited
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mtclimited »

The tip as described has been used for years by me on autos.

one other thing. If you see bubbles in the radiator when you do this....Time for a headjob, and don't go there.

Pouring water in your cyl. won't tell you that!
I thought I knew everything when I was 18. Now I know how stupid I really am.

1976 GL1000 LTD (restoring)
1977 GL1000 (no title running parts bike)
1984 Honda Big Red
1983 V45 Magna (repair job for a friend that needs to get out of the barn)
1978 GL1000 (parts)
Retired:
1981 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1991 BMW K1
1991 Harley Softail Custom (retired by old lady in parking lot)
Various other bikes along the way.
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

whats the trick to keep the piston at TDC when doing this test.? JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
mrbswing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mrbswing »

mtclimited wrote:The tip as described has been used for years by me on autos.

one other thing. If you see bubbles in the radiator when you do this....Time for a headjob, and don't go there.

Pouring water in your cyl. won't tell you that!
yes true on the coolant leak
till then :8)
Mr Bill
(2)77 wings,two 83 wings 76 CB550 bobber,80 wing,CX500 turbo,700 Nighthawk,2 750 Yamaha triples,80 XS1100 yammy,CB360,600 yammy,CB750 s/s,and a few more? and my main bike(a beautiful 79 XS1100 Yamaha 19,000 miles) and it is very fast! Got another bike a 84 1200 Yamaha I think its a 1200? and more coming. Till then :8)

mrbswing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mrbswing »

jbz wrote:whats the trick to keep the piston at TDC when doing this test.? JB
yes good question because the minute you put air it will push the piston down!
till then :8)
Mr Bill

evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

I did this in reverse on my old Toyota... I set the regulator on my Air compressor at 10PSI and hooked up the air to my radiator... I pulled spark plugs out and let it sit for about 30 seconds then cranked it over... coolant all over the bottom of my hood from the middle cylinders.

Probably not the best way, but definitely the most entertaining.

I'll be making one of these tools and testing. If the bike is in gear, the piston shouldn't move. You're only acting on one cylinder, so the rest of the engine is still working against compression on whichever one is on the compression stroke. If it does move, it won't be much.

..that, and if it's truly at TDC it should be mechanically locked anyway. Pushing straight down on the crank at true TDC should produce no movement.
The bike is essentially just another bike... The pilot is CRAZY.

http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing
Whargoul - Murdered out 1978 GL1000 - Engine KaBOOM.
Cherry Cough Syrup - 2009 Suzuki M90 - 3,300 miles.