1200 rear shock rebuild

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

1200 rear shock rebuild

Post by rcmatt007 »

at first I thought I had a rear end seal leak... but it turned out to be the left rear shock... the saddle bags are off, but I still have to remove the mounting bars for the bags. the left boot is oil stained from the leak

yes that is a gold colored wheel and a 145sr15 radial tire... this bike has a sidecar and the rear wheel is from EML
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

as mentioned above, this bike has a sidecar (and I rarely drive it)... when I went to remove the rear shock, I noticed the swing arm jiggled back and forth--how long has this been happening, I do not know.

turns out the left bolt for the swing arm had loosened up... here it is with an allen wrench, and I removed the lock nut to tighten it in place
Last edited by rcmatt007 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

once I removed the lower boot cover I could see into the seal area... there is a retaining ring (not circlip)... now how in the world to get this bugger out... tried a srewdriver, a nail, a box knife... finally it occured to me to tap the metal holding washer deeper down... once this was done, removing the ring was a snap (pun intended)
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the ring and retaining washer are out, now ready for the seal... no other clips or rings are there
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

into the vice we go to blow the seal... btw a clean workplace is a sign of a messy mind (now where did I place that last tool?)
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

this is a really important step. wrap the shock with towels before you atempt to blow the seal out... I only put the bungee cord there to hold the towels, but it turned out to be a very wise decision
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

you will know when the seal is out -- POP! -- I used about 100# of air and a rubber tipped nozzle... this is how high the seal blew, fortunately it was all covered with towels held by a chord
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

parts are ordered, when they arrive I will post pictures of the rebuild
-Rodger-
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Thanks Rodger!!!
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

parts arrived from bike bandit... tomorrow afternoon is the time.... it seems, from the steve saunders group that betweeen 8-9oz is what I need
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

here are all the parts lined up and ready for re-assembly.... using the on-line parts fisch I actually ordered parts 1, 2 &3... turns out all I needed was #3 which is the seal

five little monkeis playing on the bed... the first one siad, "roll over, roll over"
Last edited by rcmatt007 on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

before I could pour the atf fluid in (the shock would be upside down) I needed to close off the air hose hole. I used electrical tape and wrapped it tightly several times... turned out it leaked just a little bit, but worked well enough
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

pouring in the atf was pretty straight forward... I heard various amounts, but the consensus was between 8 and 9 ounces... I think I started with 9, but when you count spillage, as somewhere in between
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the inner slider and washer are next... they fit realitvely tight and needed to be gently tapped in
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

next the seal.... interestingly, the seal does not "seat" against any thing as you push it in.... the retaining washer "seats" it as the air tries to push it back out... the retaining washer is part #4 and it is held by the ring#5
I put a little atf on the surfaces to help them slide into place
-Rodger-