Water Pump Job

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

I put longer bolts on the water pump and beat on those to remove the pump.
Peace,
Frank
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
acmetim
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Water Pump Job, 2-Spanner

Post by acmetim »

longer bolts to tap it out is a good idea. i used the ones that were on there. a tap on each one, then i would back the bolts out a bit and repeat until the water pump was out. but apparently one of the bolts got a tap when the threads of the bolt were clear of the threads on the inside of the waterpump. it damaged the threads and the bolt had to be replaced(easier than buying a die to rethread) so longer bolts, or be very careful not to tap with bolt clear of threads.

for what its worth.
tim
tim forbus

75 naked goldwing.

http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/acmetim/

timforbus.com
acmetim
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by acmetim »

one last check here. got the parts stripped and repainted and everything is hung and finger tight. before i tighten it down i am hoping to get a last visual check from you guys. besides the two o-rings on the water pump, and the one on the lower water port i have these 6 on the bike
orings.jpg
orings.jpg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
the red arrows show o-rings. have i got em all? i share a garage and some of my stuff got moved so now i am doubting myself a little. there is at least one extra in the pack, but i bought the lower water port one seperately from frenchy, so if that one was in the rebuild kit as well that might explain it. all gaskets are just dry set. should i button her up top off the fluids and give it a shot?

also, weird thing. i dont think my water pump was bad. the weep hole was leaking a drop every now and then, but old water pump seems as tight as the new one..? hmmm. we will see
tim forbus

75 naked goldwing.

timforbus.com
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

If I recall correctly the kit when used on a 1000 has an extra O Ring. We have discussed it before I believe. I think the conclusion was that it was used on the 1100 application and was not needed for the 1000 application. Looks to me like you got it all covered.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
acmetim
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by acmetim »

yeah, for the neutral switch. thats what i thought i remembered. my organized piles of o-rings got jumbled into one big heap, so i got nervous.

thanks
tim forbus

75 naked goldwing.

timforbus.com
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Don't be shocked if it weeps a little when you first put it together. A number of folks have said that and they broke in.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

That extra one is only used on the 82 and 83. Looks like you got all the rest covered.
Walking Eagle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Walking Eagle »

THANK YOU, ROADY! (and others who have contributed with comments. . .)

Those of us who need a manual to perform wrenching tasks are SOL when relying on the Clymer for this job. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, or have an older version (?) of the Clymer -- the "how-to" instructions on water-pump replacement are a cruel JOKE. . .they don't even talk about removing the front engine cover. I knew this to be wrong, because I performed this same repair on my old '84 Wing. Great tutorial, here.

The only other "add" that I would mention - and I'm not the first on this thread to do so, is to be very careful when torquing the three bolts for the water pump. It's easy to squash the new aluminum crush washers to smithereens, even when the value on your click-wrench is set correctly (or maybe it's just me). In my old age, I've come to a place of relying more on "feel," especially when bolt-tightening over a crush washer. In my limited experience, many torque wrenches don't do so well when applying lower values to the bolt. This can create manifest unhappiness, especially if you live in the middle of nowheresville and can't pop down to the local store to buy crush washers or other fasteners.

Gratuitous comment: In my experience, at least in smaller towns, auto-parts stores don't stock motorcycle-related O-rings, crush-washers, etc. It may just be that they don't want to try to track stuff down when you don't have a part number, but the result is the same - you will walk away disappointed. Can't imagine doing a restoration without the Internet!
Walking Eagle

1980 GL1100 Std. w/ Unit Forks & Watsonian Monaco on the side - Old Son
Restoration underway (7/10) -- RESTORATION COMPLETE (11-10)
1994 BMW R1100RS - MoonBeamer
AMA Member
BMWOA Member

"We're gonna do this here trick nonchalant, or we ain't gonna do it."
-Edna St. Vincent Millay-
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

Awesome post and very timely as I am doing a 84 1200I as we speak. I have all the seals,o rings and gaskets coming along with the new pump from Honda. Not too terribly pricy $195 total with shipping.

Just because I am a cheap hard headed old fart I researched the bearings and seal to rebuild my old pump and the bearings were $13 each and the seal was $21. I will press it back to gether this weekend just to see if I can do it. I will likely test it on the engine I am removing for rebuild when complete ( bottom end noise ) and 80,000+ miles.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Roady

Post by Roady »

Excellent advice on crush washers, Walking Eagle.

Applies to the oil plug, banjo bolts and exhaust washers too.
GARY CARTER
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by GARY CARTER »

Hi,I just put a water pump seal kit on my 1981 1100 goldwing interstate and everything went back together just fine.the pump was in good shape.I poured in my first pint and it started dripping,drip,drip,drip.Tomorrow i was going to tear it back down but someone said i need to run it for a while and it will heal.what do ya think?Is is it a retake down or will it heal? thanks for the info.
Roady

Post by Roady »

Definitely run it a while to see if it seats in.

If not ... you may have a problem with one of the large o-rings being out of place.

Did you replace the 3 crush washers on the pump bolts?
GARY CARTER
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by GARY CARTER »

Thanks Roudy.yes i did replace the three crush washer.they where a bit larger than the ones that came off but i guess that's ok from what i've read.the only thing i might of did was put the smaller of the two o-rings on the pump instead of putting it in the grove where it belongs.I figured that when i put the pump back on it would fit right in the grove.Was it wrong the think that? thanks for your help.
Roady

Post by Roady »

I can't answer for sure ... it's been a long time since I did mine and since I'm of a certain age ... um ... what was the question? :oldies
GARY CARTER
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by GARY CARTER »

.Roady,I rechecked everything on the pump and all looked good,put it back together and filed with coolant,drip,drip and oil and started it up and after it got worm it stopped leaking.i was shocked. action1 .thank for your help!