Any Off the wall custom building being done to their GLs ???

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

gsxrjake wrote:I have a 79 and it has a huge seat on it. i would like to do something different does any one know whats available to fit this bike to give it a diferent look. i'm trying to decide what i want to do with this bike its currently al stock and pretty clean it will need mufflers and a seat different bars and I'm thinking a flame paint job. i havent seen a gold wing flamed although i'm sure its been done many times.
Not sure if cndbear has a photo album here? But his bike is flamed. (Got a pretty girlfriend too! :shock: )
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
merlin
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by merlin »

I recently installed the new Kerker/Jet Propulsion Labs after burner exhaust system on mine. The Anti gravity pods are due here any day. They (Back To The Future Light Industries Inc.) said it is a three hour conversion.

I have finally dumped the old Omni Neutron reactor and have fitted a brand new Mitsubishi cold fusion reactor. Much easier to get a hold of fuel (water) and no mess or fuss with the Nuclear Regulatory agency. It's really a pain getting rid of all that spent plutonium.

The Mitsu unit claims 350,000 horsepower but we'll just have to see what the dyno says. Finally, I have installed a retro AM radio and 8-Track Player. I've been waiting a long time to play my Elvis tapes.

Oh, Yeah! I bobbed the rear fender too.

Merlin out!
MeRliN
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Dang "Scotty" must be working overtime to keep all that under control!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
merlin
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by merlin »

Well he said off the wall?!. . . .
MeRliN
CLASSICWING
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by CLASSICWING »

I am contemplating doing a radical custom job with a laid back chopper influence. Any suggestions or thoughts? :-?
JCLUTTS
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by JCLUTTS »

IF IT AINT CUSTOMIZED IT AINT TRUELY YOURS!

my 75 is a work in progress working on making it a solid ride first custom second. :twisted:
[color=darkblue]75 GL 1000 - 4280 miles

Put your heart in it!

or

Get the hell out![/color]
motorcyclemikie
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by motorcyclemikie »

CLASSICWING wrote:I am contemplating doing a radical custom job with a laid back chopper influence. Any suggestions or thoughts? :-?
I just picked up a 1978 GL1000 that I intend to chop. . . Here's my plan.

First strip it all down, cut the cradle tubes out of the bottom of the frame, rotate the engine 90 deg. so the output shaft is on the left side mounted in the frame. Machine a sprocket to the motor output shaft (now its chain drive) install a very wide tire, make the frame a hard tail, slant the neck to 43 deg. and install this long front end I have with a 21" spoked wheel. Install a nice mustang style gas tank, a solo seat and only the equipment that is absolutely necessary to make it run. . .

I want this chopper to be a unusual bar hopper.. I just picked up a CC products Weber carburetor goldwing kit and I intend to supercharge it with a weed blower, I have seen dyno tests where the weed blower increases the horse power of an engine by 50 percent.

That's my plan more or less. . .
Jay
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jay »

That is one hell of a plan. Please keep us posted and take lots of pics.
Don't fix it Customize it!
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

motorcyclemikie wrote:.. I intend to supercharge it with a weed blower. . .
a weed blower ?

Like this: Image ?
motorcyclemikie
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by motorcyclemikie »

octane wrote:
motorcyclemikie wrote:.. I intend to supercharge it with a weed blower. . .
a weed blower ?

Like this: Image ?
That one would work until you hit the end of the cord, actually a gas powered one (they come with up to a 50cc engine).
Under normal riding with it turned off the air would flow into the carb without much restriction, when the big 121 inch V-twins pull up along side you give the leaf blower a couple of pulls to start it and you are ready to roll it on. Kind of like a selectable blower that doesn't rob any engine power.

I can't afford a couple thousand bucks for a blower or turbo, but I can go out of pocket a hundred bucks for a used leaf blower.
1979 GL1000
1985 Honda V65 Streetfighter
1981 Moto Guzzi V50
Custom V8 Motorcycle
dodger889
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by dodger889 »

Well I guess some one would come upp with a new use But here is my question are you going to conect it up to the throtle too. So has you open it up the blower pushes harder and the timing retards?? Just an engine builder question. But good luck. A simpler way would be to shoot nitro in then you would just use the boost when you need it without showing you hand before lol.
1979 gl1000 not naked but could be
1974 honda 350F (wifey's)
Dodger and not a New York fan LOL
Well it's a project requiring me to lose my mind.
Oh what mind??If anyone finds it please let me
know it too little to running around by itself...!
ffwd
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by ffwd »

First strip it all down, cut the cradle tubes out of the bottom of the frame, rotate the engine 90 deg. so the output shaft is on the left side mounted in the frame. Machine a sprocket to the motor output shaft (now its chain drive)

I also tought of this,but i think that will mess up all the personality of the bike. therefor i gave up.....i'm curious of the rsult.
i wanna go fast......and smooth:)
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

motorcyclemikie wrote: when the big 121 inch V-twins pull up along side you
Then you just roll on the throttle. A stock GL1000 will mop the floor with nearly any Harley - no leaf blower required.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1993 GL1500 SE - frame-up restoration in progress
1983 CX650C
Cree168
Brass Member
Brass Member

Pipes

Post by Cree168 »

Looking to install some fishtail, anyone have a good place to start? I'm sure I'll find them and other items I need to chop this 1100 into style but I would like your input
Behave~ Cree
Thank You, Cree168
jodysue@verizon.net
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Jakes big ass seat

Post by jodysue@verizon.net »

Hey bro, the thing about customizing is nothing is as it seems. You got a big seat, trade it or sell it and go dig through the local bike parts shelf and out back, I bet you find a cool seat. Flame the hell out of it. Drill holes and cut the thing till you like it. Don't like it do it again till you get it right. Freedom of change is so simple. Just do something differant. Ride it like you stole it. Go out back now and look at the poor stock thing that lay before you. Kill it and let the beast loose. Give it wings man.....Later Jody
Hey. I live on the coast of North Carolina, on an island. The riding here is wonderful, cept for the bugs. Gotta have a fairing. I ride a 76 gl 1000. It's my fifth one and my favorite. I have done all painting and mechanic work on this bike and it has been a learning experience. Most information came from the internet, and my friend,I'll call Bill, cause thats his name. He rides a Harley. No he's never showed me anything on my Jap bike, so he says. Valuable friend. Seen all the stripped down gl's and went out to the garage and tore all the shit off my bike and repainted it and I think it looks good for a boat anchor. Later, Keep your face in the wind, Peace........Jody Johnson