powder coating help

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

powder coating help

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have decided to powder coat the smaller parts (i.e fit in the over) on my project.

obviously all paint must be reomved

any other hints and advice????

must the oven be "pre-heated" or can I hang the parts and then turn it on?
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: powder coating help

Post by Oldewing »

Beth know about this :8)?????
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

the cook does :twisted:

that is another question.... should I expect an..... odor? :cry:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

It's like baking a cake. If you pre-heat the oven you'll have a better handle on curing time. As for stink factor, it's not likely to be "zero".
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Dog Boy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dog Boy »

There ya go. Bake a "throw away" cake at the same time. Blame it on the cake! Hehe.

AL
They call me "Dog Boy"

Can't blame the "PO"
Original owner 76 LTD
Team 993
cdthiker
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cdthiker »

I found some tips online for it but my question is about the oven? can you use the same one you cook in ? it seems to be some arguments about it online
got a quote from harleyperformance.com

Oven
"You must have access to an electric oven or toaster oven other than the one used for food, as mildly toxic fumes are liberated from the powder while curing. Used ovens can be found in appliance centers, news papers, and yard sales. The oven must be in good working condition. "

what do you all think?
BladeRunner
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BladeRunner »

I can't say for powder coating,but, I have used a "crock pot" with antifreeze to "cook" the crud off of aluminum parts for my Rc helicopters and planes, mostly the mufflers..anyway...NEVER use the appliance for human consumption afterwards!..No, wait..let me reword that ..never use the appliance to prepare food for human consumption after using chemicals in them....you will poison the wee buggers! :shock: :shock:
So, the advice to look for a USED appliance IMHO is a good one. anim-cheers1 Could be a marriage saver too! lolol
Barry Fletcher.."it wasn't me..I've got a twin".
Neil

Post by Neil »

Don't use your oven and especially not in the house ... get a used one and do it out side or in an open garage.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so what we are saying here.... is next weekend when I am home alone.... and open the windows-LOL

word of clarification.... I am the cook in the family
-Rodger-
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I think I would get an estimate from a professional powder coater as to how much it would cost to do the job. May not be as expensive as you think and you won't have to replace your oven because you can't get the stink out.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I have baked the headers in my oven which stunk up the house, but the oven never stank afterwards. I would expect the inner surface of the over to resist penetration from fumes,. now grease and grime in the oven would be another story.

now a ceramic crock pot aboslutley another story, while you would expect the glace to resist penetration, there is always the rish something gets into the actual "clay" of the pot, which is porous
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so.... have decided to go the toaster oven route. Need to order some hi-temp masking tape anyway.

was going to clear coat the carb tops and manifolds, but then realized one has plastic and the other "rubber" and thought maybe the "lower" heat for clear powder coat might be a bad idea
-Rodger-
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

update... actually tried 4 peices yesterday in a "toaster oven" from wally world/china

need to work on my skills in transfering from the applying area to the oven.

toaster ovens heat up really fast, so I did not "pre-heat"

wow, powder coating is so much easier than painting

three peices came out great.... one.... well needed better prep, so time to strip!
-Rodger-
Neil

Post by Neil »

:popcorn: :worthless:
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

LOL.....
-Rodger-