getting older and motorcycling

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: getting older and motorcycling

Post by Hal »

MSGT-R wrote:I am so glad you saved it in time and didn't shove your leg up through your hip joint!
Funny thing is, I'd been getting concerned about my left hip joint as it'd been getting erratically painful. Not all the time, but occasionally.

We Sagittarians are supposed to suffer from weak hip joints apparently :roll:
Hence I was amazed to find the incident seems to have actually improved things!

Can I have discovered a new form of therapy for disintegrating hip joints? crossy.gif :mrgreen:
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
backyardbob
High Mileage Guru

Post by backyardbob »

geezerhood sucks.
i finally made it past the junkyard dogs!!
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

Hal wrote:
MSGT-R wrote:I am so glad you saved it in time and didn't shove your leg up through your hip joint!
Funny thing is, I'd been getting concerned about my left hip joint as it'd been getting erratically painful. Not all the time, but occasionally.

We Sagittarians are supposed to suffer from weak hip joints apparently :roll:
Hence I was amazed to find the incident seems to have actually improved things!

Can I have discovered a new form of therapy for disintegrating hip joints? crossy.gif :mrgreen:

action1
75 GL1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

Greg.... when you give that a try, I can recommend an orthopaedic surgeon
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

rcmatt007 wrote:Greg.... when you give that a try, I can recommend an orthopaedic surgeon
Heck no,I aint ready for no orthopedic surgeons yet. I was just happy for Hal that he's a Sagittarius . My wife is one too. Don't ask me how that's working. lolol
75 GL1000
joedrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joedrum »

well now ive been caged up for awhile now...... ive got every body brace known ....and somtimes it aint enough ....im on the way back ....and getting ready to ride soon ....people with age really appreciate there time in the seat ....all i can say here
1979 1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

Greg wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:Greg.... when you give that a try, I can recommend an orthopaedic surgeon
Heck no,I aint ready for no orthopedic surgeons yet. I was just happy for Hal that he's a Sagittarius . My wife is one too. Don't ask me how that's working. lolol
yeah.... the last time I saw a surgeon..... well.... I am glad I am still alive anim-cheers1
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

rcmatt007 wrote:
Greg wrote:
yeah.... the last time I saw a surgeon..... well.... I am glad I am still alive anim-cheers1
I'm glad you're still a live too.. anim-cheers1
75 GL1000
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

rcmatt007 wrote:yeah.... the last time I saw a surgeon..... well.... I am glad I am still alive anim-cheers1
We all are (most of the time :P :twisted: :P )! anim-cheers1 lolol dancr
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Recycled Roadkill
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Recycled Roadkill »

card1.jpg
card1.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Bob Gill
Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I've considered joining Insomniacs Anonymous, but I decided I'd sleep on it.

'96 Honda GL 1500A Rolling Couch (Not Naked)
'78 Honda GL 1000 Gentle Glide
'77 Honda GL 1000 Black Mamba (Sold) :(
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

OMG..... it looks like the moderator team!
-Rodger-
Greg
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Greg »

rcmatt007 wrote:OMG..... it looks like the moderator team!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't be them. :IDTS: No beer cans in hand. lolol
75 GL1000
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

Funny you should have said that, Lady Winger....I do wonder if the incident in March 2013 possibly triggered a process which has now got to the dire stage of my left hip being more or less FUBAR.

It's slowly become more uncomfortable for years...I first noticed it riding the BMW any distance, I'd need to stick my left leg out due to an ache in the hip. Didn't bother about it too much. In fact it was only yesterday that I put my current dreadful state, and the snow save together and recalled your remark!

I am off to the doc this morning for a referral appointment at the scanner, as an x ray a few months back mentioned "possible bone necrosis" (eeek!)

I reckon a nice bionic hip has to be a much better idea than my present state, shuffling and hopping around just like a poor old git.

All made worse by an actual smash I was on the receiving end of in early June this year....a Ferrari turned left as I was starting to overtake it at all of 18 kph and I ended up with three pins in my left wrist, and all muscles and tendons stretched by the deceleration.
The Ferrari was made by Gianni Ferrari and is a local authority lawn cutting machine the size of a car.

After I bounced up from the tarmac, I got the driver to show me and witnesses that his indicator worked, and it didn't....plus of course he hadn't bothered to look in his rear view mirror, so it's 100% the local authority's responsibility.

I haven't yet received a red cent from the insurers of course, and the bike is still not fixed. Got to start the letters flying asap, but I was advised that it's pointless having a medical assessment too early for them to determine long-term damage & loss of movement.

Ahhhh....the joys of motorcycling!

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam

Hal's Nalbum
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

OK...on scrolling back I see I'd been thinking my left hip was cracking up even before the snow-save of a near 400kg Vetterised and fully loaded 1976 Wing.

I'd entirely forgotten about the interesting fact of the rather hair raising incident seemingly making me feel less knackered than I had been, but in the interests of accuracy, I must report that the 4th June smash I had this year had the exact same effect! As the Ferrari pulled it's left turn bang in front of me my front wheel impacted it and the recoil through the bars snapped my wrist in what the surgeon called "a very nasty break".

This also did my upper arm muscles and tendons no good at all, they are still far from being much better.

BUT....I actually held the Sportster, first in a massive rear slide to the left, then through a right slide, then, by the time the second left fishtail started it was at almost standstill, and with a broken left wrist I couldn't hold it up so it just flopped as gracefully as a HD can over on its left side. Strangely the bike had very minimal damage, just the exhaust collector on the Supertrapp, right footrest and pedal and left bar grip....and the case badge saying Buell Lightning 1203 got banged in a bit.

I bounced to my feet and noticed almost immediately that my hip felt fine!

I imagine this was all down to the sudden surge of endorphins, which also meant I had no idea I'd smashed my wrist badly.

I wondered if I'd discovered a new therapy....motorcycle smash therapy?

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam

Hal's Nalbum
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

Last word as the thread is about becoming aged and infirm....as I may have mentioned my herd of silly cars, which include one remaining Caterham and a Lotus Elise 111S, both heavily modified and tuned, plus three much older and rarer machines including a 1959 Berkeley T60 three wheeler, effectively in Modsports guise, here's an update.

Following the smash in June, after the pins were removed, I was stuck using the Caterham for everyday transport for a short while.
It was truly horrible! Agony to get in and out, and with a temperamental full-race engine and featherlight flywheel, a complete pig to drive on the road anyway. This got me thinking, and the conclusion was that as my current physical ailments are just entropy-in-action, barring a miracle they airn't gonna get any better anytime soon.

So....I will be punting the cars out, one by one, as soon as I can do whatever needs doing to them to get max dollarz.

This means swapping the race engine back to the OE road unit on the Caterham, which is good, as it means I can sell it legally here in rules bound France, plus the race engine is one of only 12 built in 2000 by Janspeed for PTP, and cost over £12,000 sterling at the time...plus this one's been vastly improved.

As getting in and out of the Lotus is just as bad, heck with it, it's going too!

The Berkeley is something I recently 'acquired' initially because the owner asked me to develop a new 'hood' to cover the Mini-Metro race engine, which sticks through the bonnet cover; he wants me to buy it, so as the mods are in fact much wider ranging than either of us imagined they would be, I think I may do this.
I can't seem to post a photo which is on my pc here and no longer use a host platform so can't show you this interesting old thing.

Anyway, as my normal car, a Subaru Outback is destined for sale following the clutch blowing, I decided to get something very economical indeed, and so slow that I couldn't ever be tempted to drive at my usual speed on the road.

I have now acquired just the thing! A Toyota Aygo!

It's a very tidy one, a late 'series one', three-door, white, new alloy wheels fitted by the seller who also fitted all new suspension and tyres in Feb 2019.

It's a dream to enter and exit.....and very comfy too! And....near 70mpg!

Unfortunately some maniacs in the UK have a fully developed bolt-on supercharger kit for the little 998cc three cylinder Aygo engine, turning it into a 140bhp monster...far from the little white mouse with 68bhp that it is currently.

So....doubtless it's destined to become a Yoshimura TTS lowered, tarted, pimped and far from innocent little white buggy as I just can't help it, it's God's fault after all.

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam

Hal's Nalbum