Copper washers for front forks from electrical terminals

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

zavikan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Copper washers for front forks from electrical terminals

Post by zavikan »

Alright, well I always wanted to be immortalized in a how to....I also wanted to give back to a community that makes me capable of doing my own work. Time after time I come on here because I need help.

Here is a simple solution to an aggravating problem. The crush washers on the front forks need to be replaced. Some replace them every time but I think thats excessive. Mine had some serious high miles on them though and were dead and useless.

so after a week of waiting for honda to send me silly little copper crush washers and then being told to wait ANOTHER week (and shipping was $8...really?), and scouring every bike shop I could find...

I got desperate and followed the suggestion of a forum member here 'backwoodz'. He suggested using the small (and he called aluminum) terminal rings used in electronics. I originally thought of it as a hack solution and I didnt want that. Mostly because I didnt want to change materials... Then I did some research and found that aluminum would make a perfectly fine alternative and I got to work. What I didnt know was under the gucky silver coating, the terminals were copper anyways! So thanks to backwoodz for throwing this one out there.

So this is what we are starting with, what we end with, and what we are replacing...in that order. Note the new one is slightly smaller then the old one. This leads to a cleaner appearance as can be seen in the last pic. It does not appear undersized once under the bolt.
DSCF9785.JPG
DSCF9785.JPG (70.95 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
The hole size doesnt quite line up with the bolt. I used a 13/64 drill bit and rounded out the hole carefully. Don't go to large or you will bend the copper entirely instead of shaving out the hole.
DSCF9788.JPG
DSCF9788.JPG (93.42 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
We need to sand off most of the silver coating. I used 320 wetdry sandpaper. My terminals had their wire rating stamped in the back. make sure to sand that close to smooth. Leaving the tab on the ring makes it easier to hold (figured that out after making the first one...)
DSCF9791_2.JPG
DSCF9791_2.JPG (117.73 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Puuuurdy. Dont need to be perfect yet.
DSCF9797.JPG
DSCF9797.JPG (68.72 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Carefully trim off the tab. I used a pair of straight line sheet metal shears. No issue.
DSCF9798.JPG
DSCF9798.JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Clean the edge up with sand paper or a small file till you've got it respectably round. (no pic sorry)
Last edited by zavikan on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'76 Goldwing GL1000 33k
'77 Goldwing GL1000 53k SOLD
zavikan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: How to make copper crush washers for front forks

Post by zavikan »

Copper can be hard or soft depending on application. Hard washers don't crush. I had no idea what type of copper this was, So I decided to soften it just in case. This is a scientifically proven method to soften copper involving big words and technical terminology that I pretend to understand when talking to other people.

Heat with propane until cherry red hot. You may need to shield the washer to heat it. I used a left over aluminum oil seal. Allow the copper to air cool.
DSCF9800_2.JPG
DSCF9800_2.JPG (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
The copper will discolor badly. Finish sanding (remember how we didnt bother cleaning the silver off perfectly? Do it now...)
Here is the new one on the replacement stainless bolt, next to the first one I made, and the original I am replacing.
I missed an edge of silver when I took the pic..(always use never seize when using SS hardware on aluminum)
DSCF9801.JPG
DSCF9801.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
And here it is on the Fork.
DSCF9802.JPG
DSCF9802.JPG (106.28 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
You can see its a beautiful and clean fit. My problem is over. There are terminal rings that work for the crush washer under the allen bolt as well. In that case, my old ones were able to be cleaned up and reused. To reuse old copper, simply heat it cherry red and sand it clean again like we did for the new ones.
'76 Goldwing GL1000 33k
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Re: Copper washers for front forks from electrical terminals

Post by Roady »

That's an excellent tutorial, Zavikan. And handy general instrux for other applications too.
This is headed to ShopTalk. action1
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

excellent job of showing the detail. a lot of work for a simple washer, but it looks good, and will work. i will remember it in an emergency. thanks
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
zavikan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zavikan »

I live in a rural area. I drove 30 minutes out and went to 3 hardware stores, then advance, autozone and carquest. Spent between 10-20 minutes in each. they had nothing close to useable. I called 4 different motorcycle dealers and a few repair shops and came up with non thing.

Finally ordered them from western Honda as it was easy at least. Cost more then $13 but what ever. That was on Saturday. Called them up and I was told they would ship out on tuesday. Called on Wednesday and was told they were supposed to be shipped from the mothership to them first, but Honda hadn't sent them yet. I was told it 'might take a few days to get in'...and then wait for shipping from the dealer to me? I don't think so. Yup, this is for simple copper crush washers. Super rare unusual awesome crush washers apparently.
Last edited by zavikan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'76 Goldwing GL1000 33k
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Don't get me wrong, i would have done the same thing. i have lived more then 30 minutes from civilization myself, and have done some very strange things to avoid a trip to town. i applaud your "thinking out of the box" action1 action1
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Excellent stuff!!! Well done and very well presented action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

This is a good way to go.
Also, if you look around most auto parts stores do carry an assortment pack of copper crush washers.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
zavikan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zavikan »

The smallest in the assortment pack is 1/4. It was close but ultimately inappropriate for the forks.
'76 Goldwing GL1000 33k