opinions of running versus non running

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

opinions of running versus non running

Post by doubleminded »

I found some good deals on some nonrunning wings.Complete bikes, some ran last year some not in a long time,some even 2 for 1 specials.My thinking is the second bike would be good for parts since many parts are hard to find now.I have rebuilt car engines, and one suzuki gs 1000 engine before.It is always more fun riding than wrenching.But here are my options, which do you think is best?
1.Buy a 2 for 1 special.Fix up the one that is the least work,keep the other for spares.
2.Buy a running bike and do the customizing i want to do on it.What I want to do would not make a bike down for any length of time.
3.I found several full dress 80-84 models from $800 to $2000 and almost every one needs carbs rebuilt.I have found from bike forums you can d everything right and the carbs still need taken apart and done again.
4.I have a friend that is a mechanical genius who owns an 82, he will help me.

fyi, did you know the 75 naked wing is as fast as a modern 1800?
I realize this could be a topic for much discussion and probably has been asked before.But if you have time i would appreciate your input.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: opinions of running versus non running

Post by Whiskerfish »

To me it is a crap shoot either way. Any of these old machines could have a death issue or come alive with minimal effort. I remember buying one in NY and stopped in for the night at my Parents with the bike on the trailer and in about 45 minutes I had it running reasonably well. Others have taken weeks. I do like to get the engine running and most of those issues sorted before I start on the rest of the restoration. The ability to run it through the gears even if it is running poorly to check the transmission is a big deal to me.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Opinions vary, but I've found that "It ran when I parked it!" means you'll be digging into just about everything. "Running" means you'll be digging into just about everything later, lol! The biggest issue with carbs is leaving the bike sit. Yes, you may revisit them a few times, but once they are done right, they work VERY well. Things like brakes, wheel bearings, etc are going to cost you no matter what, it's more a matter of when.
As far as 2 for 1 deals, there are a lot of parts that interchange between years, and a lot that don't. Honda liked to change things up, like brakes, every year or two.
God luck on your search!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

I think I'd go option one. Always good to have spares.

I have done 1,2, 3 and a few others. I'm done. Option one worked out the best for me.

"Running" means? Runs and rides to NY and back? Starts and runs (but not good)? Starts but doesn't run...? Etc.

Unless you buy from GL freaks like us.....I'd say the PO wants to get rid of it cause it needs something, i.e. a carb. rebuild. That seems to be the most common reason I've seen.

#4. Great to have a GL guru around (here). I knew nothing when I started - zero. I had to do it (fix/rebuild) - twice sometimes but that was the only way I could. I still have a lot to learn. Not that you aren't going to do this.... but I would ask for advice here and from your friend but do the work yourself. You will be rewarded.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market in my neighborhood for these so they can be had for not too much $. The runner I have I paid $750 and got the parts bike to boot. It ain't pretty but I don't look at it when I'm riding it. :) The only one really worth $ for nostalgic value imho is the 75.

Good luck.
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

Thanks guys.I agree with all the different suggestions.And I also know other than the collectability of the original 75,none of these are worth much when selling.I owned 3 1500 wings,all in excellent condition,about 3-3500.But all the plastic bugged me.To me its the old wings that capture what honda had intended.It was a naked powerful fast bike.Then guys started hanging things on them for touring.I think all the vetter fairings would make a good bonfire.The guru corner here is amazing.When I redid my old suzuki I had never worked on a bike engine.Due to much trial and error i had the heads off at least 5 times, the carbs off 10 times,took about 3 trys to realize the timing was 180 off.But after that I could have torn it down to the cylinder base gasket in 30 minutes.I figure it is the same for these bikes.My buddy with the 82 said his front brakes locked up throwing him over the handlebars once.I am most afraid of the brakes,not the motors.

So far, I have found one with a sidecar for $1600.Many nicelooking bikes with no carb issues for 1500,one beautiful 83 with carb issues for $1000, 2 for 1 special one with a title for $500,one 82 just for parts for $200.millions were made and sold,thus the low value on the market.But throw a leg over one, get out on the highway, and you wouldnt take less than 5 grand that day.Its a sickness for which there is no cure.Right now I am leaning towards a running 1100, and old guy 73 years old(I am 67) has one he and his wife rode everywhere, he did many upgrades for $1500.I would offer him 1200 and duck.But he is also fixing up his wife's 66 caprice.My kind of guy.
groupus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by groupus »

There are obvious benefits to getting and testing a running bike first, but I have found no real difference in the amount of time, work, and money needed. I have replaced virtually all of the same parts on my running bike vs the one I purchases not running, and then some. The non running bike may be less $ at this point. The only real difference is that I would ride it for a while, something would break, fix it, ride it, fix it, ride it, fix it, ad nauseum. The non running bike I have torn down and worked through every potential issue all at once. That is preferable, if you can subdue your impulse to start riding it immediately.
Pony Ruiz wrote:Unless you buy from GL freaks like us.....I'd say the PO wants to get rid of it cause it needs something, i.e. a carb. rebuild. That seems to be the most common reason I've seen.
You'll learn that pretty much any 30-40 year old bike is NOT going to be something you can hop right on. Even if the PO maintained it rode it regularly, that just means it is due for lots of maintenance. I also knew nothing when I started here but have picked up an amazing amount of knowledge. Patience is key. Once you learn to rebuild carbs the first time, you'll wonder why anyone would waste the money paying someone else to do it! :lol:

Recommended maintenance would be timing belts, reg/rectifier (get a single unit and save your stator!), hard wire the stator, all fluids flushed including rear diff, brake hoses and rebuilds, replace the main fuse, points, carb rebuild, and clean the gas tank unless it is spotless.
Other stuff that I've done was a stator, electrical issues..., condensor, temp sensor, water pump, 4(!) head jobs, fork oil and seals, coils and wires, lights, neutral switch, etc.

I'm sure you're going to love whatever you end up with (I vote for sidecar!). I know, for all it's issues, I would not take less than $5-6000 for the bike I initially bought for $400. Nothing can compare with how a naked wing rips!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

every now and then, when things are not going to well in the shop, i ask myself why i do it. and the answer is that riding is good....but time in the shop is also good. - CYBORG

78 gl1000 cafe build: http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51461

79 full fairing - current status: Haunted http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60334
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by brianinpa »

The only problem with 2 for 1 specials is the size/space available in the garage. You rapidly run out of it when you stumble onto too many of those deals.
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

great answers groupus.Yes on the gs bikes carb cleaning was a given.As were the stator and rectifier replacement.But dang those things run good.Brianinpa, I am sure my wife would not mind me using the garage and parking her new car outside.
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by brianinpa »

I tell my wife that it is my garage and I let he park her car in it... it doesn't go over very well when I say it either. lolol
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I've had 5 GL1000s and one '86 SEi. Four of the 1000s needed carb rebuilds (plus a '79 CB750F and a Yamaha RD400c - and now a '01 XR100R). I always figure carb and brake rebuilds will be necessary. One thing that I try to avoid (unsuccessfully, I'm afraid) is bikes that have been stored outside. The weather is cruel to 2-wheelers. Unless it is a rideable machine, I figure a minimum of $500 to make it safe and reliable. BTW, I don't "flip" them - I rescue and pass them on for what it has cost me as my hobby.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Shadowjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shadowjack »

I was going to start a new thread when I came across this ad this morning, but here might be a good place. A great deal for the right guy! :lol:
https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/mpo/d/d ... 19438.html
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Shadowjack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:09 am I was going to start a new thread when I came across this ad this morning, but here might be a good place. A great deal for the right guy! :lol:
https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/mpo/d/d ... 19438.html
I'm getting my plane ticket as we speak. You think I can get one of them running in an hour or two so I can ride it back to NC?

:lol:
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I never got a running one but like them better when running. I love my 78 but haven't ever really felt like it ran 100%. The exception might be when it had borrowed 83 gl1100 carbs on it. Contrary to what I've heard.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
digger
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by digger »

:lol: Get one running, make a trailer with some of the others and haul all the rest home on it. :IDTS:
1975 GL1000
robjordan406
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by robjordan406 »

I think one of the options you have to use is once you get it running and looking good, how much could you sell it for when your ready to pass on.... you could easily get into one for 2k and might have trouble getting your ROI......

Rob in Winnsboro Tx