The hunt 2

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

The hunt 2

Post by Moto nut »

[attachment=4]image.jpeg[/attachment]Hey everyone, it been a while since I've posted but I've been reading your posts a lot, have been busy with bikes for other people and got to a point where it was time to build another wing for myself,since I sold the 78 I've been wanting another, well I found this 76 about a mile from my house outside in about 3 feet of snow it had no title and the owner had no idea of when it ran last, apparently the bike was bought and sold a few times with no title and hasn't ran in about 15 years, he wanted $500 for it but I wasn't going for that,

I offered $200 for the bike because the odometer said 22,000 miles and it had Lester wheels and thought if nothing else I could at least double my money on the wheels, and piece out the rest, he took my offer and we dug it out of the snow and home it went, at home my thought was if I could get it running I would go after a title, if it didn't run then the parts were for sale, the first thing to do is see if the engine would even move and my luck the kick starter lever was still inside the shelter so I check to see it has oil, pull the plugs, put a little trans fluid in each cylinder, let it sit for a couple of days, put in the kick starter and the engine turns,

so on to the next step of trying to start, the gas tank was pretty rusty and had some real old fuel in it, so drain the tank and do electrolysis for about 36 hours, came out very clean, pull the carb bowl drains and flush with fresh fuel, drain old oil and replace with cheap 30 wt. oil with some sea foam, charged the battery and pushed it outside, I didn't even know if the starter or the electrics were any good, I just crossed my fingers and pushed the start button and cool the starter works,

so since it early March in western Colorado I pull the choke and hit the button, nothing the first try, next time it pops a little and that's big, the third try she fires off and smokes like a freight train, so I keep it running till it gets up to temp then shut it down and let it sit for a while and repeat, after about 4 or 5 start and cool downs the engine cleans up a bunch and sounds good, so its worth trying to get a title for which in Colorado is about a 2 month ordeal if you're lucky,

so I start the process, vin inspections, vin search, certified letter to last known owner, a little more paper work and $37 dollars and 2 months later I get a title, mean time while waiting for title I'm breaking down the bike either for parts or to restore or I should say restomod, I like to lean down bikes, put em on a diet, don't get me wrong I love bone stock original bikes, I own a few ( 69 cb750, 75 cb550ss, 75 cb750ss ) all under 11,000 miles and I'm always looking for a all stock low mile 75 wing, but I flip a lot of bikes, the cost point of a restored as opposed to a restomod bike is huge, the average buyer is more willing to flop down cash on a restomoded bike because I can keep the build costs down as opposed to a nut a bolt true restoration which take a lot of time and money and finding that person who will step up for the price,

anyway I take the bike down to a bare frame and go thru the usual stuff like clean, paint, renew parts, (thanks randakks ) update parts, adjust, cus a lot, all in I'm into this bike for under $2000 and about 150 hrs labor, its 99% done...... Hope you like it.....moto nut
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (424.57 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (439.27 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (428.96 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (447.57 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (319.63 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Proud winner of ngwclub 2017 bike of the year......76 GL1000
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: The hunt 2

Post by ericheath »

Looks good.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Sharp looking bike. Not long ago I did a '77 with paint very close to that. I liked it so well I probably will do another.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Thanks guys! All the paint work is rattle can, Eastwood chassis gloss black for frame, wheels, radiator, forks, vht aluminum for engine, rustoleum metallic charcoal for shelter, side covers, headlight, fenders, all the paint work done for under $100, prep work is crucial for a good rattle can paint job along with a clean paint area, a little ventilation, tack cloths, and a couple of beers! Most people don't believe it's a rattle can paint job
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (385.02 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Very nice, neat machine. Well done.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Got the tank emblems from Thailand and their total junk, oh well live and learn, not using, got emblems for a cb1000r from Honda and they look great, changed color of exhaust wrap to black, go's with the theme of the bike better, non gl parts on this bike are Lester wheels, cb900 front fender, xs650 rear fender, speed triple seat, Mac headers with debaffled sportster mufflers, xs1100 rear shocks, mirrors, broom stick handlebar, stainless brake lines, tail light, shorter grips, custom length cables, and Dyna ignition, she screams!....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (395.84 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (396.1 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (327.08 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Ric
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Ric »

Beautiful gl, I saved the pics to my desktop :D
Was it easy to mount the xs rear fender? I want to go shorter, but not really want to cut the original one
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

looks fantastic.
how did you make the black section that surrounds the fuel gauge?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Thanks ric, the xs fender was really easy to use, just cut enough to stay inside of the gl inner fender, use the furthest rear holes on the tail section ( turn signal mount ) of the gl, the xs fender is about a 1"+ narrower than the tail section but that's ok when finished right the rear tire looks fatter than stock, youll notice the xs mounting holes are much larger than the gls about 5/8"+, go to hardware store and buy spacers for the fender that will fit thru the fender to the inner tail mount holes use 3/8" or 10mm bolts, this also part of my seat mount also, the cut off end of the fender mount I just made a single tab that go's from the center of fender to top of the frame,
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Thanks 5speed, the shelter console cover is a piece of thin aluminum ( 6"x 18" ) I bought at the hardware store, cut a pattern out of poster paper and transfer to the aluminum, was able to cut the straight lines with a razor knife and the round parts with tin snips, the gauge and lock were cut with hole saws,it's best to cut the holes first so you an center the pattern up, and covered with the seat fabric, was originally going with the brushed aluminum look but the way the lock is punched into the panel with a raised back edge I'd have to Inlarge the hole so the cover would fit flat, I didn't like the look, looked like I screwed up so I covered it and used contact cement to install
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Thanks for the "how to". I really like it. It adds nice lines to the bike and breaks up the size of the tank.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Took the my gl1000 and cb750 to the local bike show, folks liked both and I picked up some work
Attachments
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG (353.89 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG (274.04 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG (310.25 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

real nice job!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

I found the original owners of my bike, Ben and Thelma Walker of Delta Colorado, Ben has passed on years ago but Thelma was still with us, I showed her the bike after I finished it and she was so happy to see it live on, even tho it didn't look as it did back when they had it she recognized the Lester wheels Ben had put on when they bought it, she said they had good times with the bike and once rode it from Colorado to matzalan Mexico, they were avid goldwing riders, she gave me this photo of them and the bike from 1977
Attachments
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG (226.59 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Cool that you found the original owners. I have tried to get a hold of the guy I bought mine from in Staunton, Illinois. He sold it after an auto accident kept him from riding any longer. No luck.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi