Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

Post by propav8r »

Hi all, after a few months of looking and lurking, I finally picked up a Goldwing of my very own.

I found it on craiglist yesterday afternoon, drove down to Atlanta to pick it up, and dragged it home on the trailer.

The good:
It runs
It was $280

The bad.
It needs everything
It was $280

I got it in the shop yesterday, and it quickly became apparent that the whole bike needed to come apart. From the terrible paint job to the scary wiring, the frozen rear brakes, and the painted forks, this bike nees a lot of TLC.

This is my first bike. I've got a long history of working on cars, so I'm pretty handy with a wrench and a wire stripper. I know it looks bad now, but compared to what I'm used to working on, this has been cake so far.

I'm almost done stripping it now, just need to pull the engine tomorrow and disassemble the head tube/forks. Then, I can blast the frame clean and depending on price, either paint or powdercoat it.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Last edited by propav8r on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Ugly Duckling: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

Post by Buli »

Look like nice project. Waiting to see more pics.
Kinde
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

For $250, you got a steal. Welcome to the club. When you get to redoing the carbs, you may want to check out Randakks http://randakks.com/products/gl1000-combo-offer If you are not a carb kind of guy, you may want to look into pistol pete http://www.oldwings.com/services.html

All I can say about that paint job is, Wow... Don't forget to fill out your profile. Good luck. Have fun
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

From the looks of your shop, you are well used to working on stuff. These old Wings are fairly straightforward to work on, but they have their little foibles ready to catch out the unwary. Check out Shop Talk on here and my Tech Tips (the banner below) before you get too far into it.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Thanks y'all. The carbs are the big question mark. My experience with carbs is very limited...I'm very much a child of the EFI era. I did find Pistol Pete via Randakk's site, but I have yet to decide if I'll try the rebuild myself or send them out. As an added bonus, Pistol Pete is somewhat local to me.
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (or beauty is skin deep, but ugly is to the bone!)

I'm not a fan of frames other than black (goes with anything ;) ) but I've seen some examples where the rest of the bike was done right and looks nice. This is not the case here. IMHO too much gold haphazardly thrown around. But to each his own.

So far as carbs, depends on if you want the learning experience of working on carbs, or just want them to be right and work (and the depth of your pockets.) I am by no means a carb guru, but there is a satisfaction in, eventually, making something work that didn't before. Whichever way you go (DIY or send them out) no one will criticize you on your decision. We will however, help/advise whenever we can and/or cheer you on through your rebuild. Don't be embarrassed on any mistakes you make along the way. We have all (well most of us anyway) been there, done that, got the t-shirt! lolol
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Well that was easy.

Only real casualty so far is the upper bearing in the head tube. That'll be fixed with the good used set of forks I'm picking up tomorrow.

MegaDan
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by MegaDan »

What's your de-goldinizing plans? Old fashioned sand and re-spray or going to have it blasted clean?
1975 GL1000 - Delkevic exhaust with stainless studs, Corbin Touring seat, Race Tech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, Progressive 11-1100 springs, Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Shinko 230 tires, Fork Brace, Trucklite 27270c headlight, X-Arc Signals (run, brake, turn), Hydraulic Clutch conversion, EBC Clutch discs, HD springs, and Barnett Steels + Plate B eliminated. BikeMaster DLFP-50N18L Lithium battery, Rick's Motorsports CBR600F4 Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier upgrade.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

A friend has a big blaster setup. I'd shoot myself if I had to sand this.

I'm gonna blast it, and depending on price, either powdercoat or spray it gloss black.
Last edited by propav8r on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Found a little bit of damage on the bottom crossbar where the center stand resides. Looks like someone whacked something pretty good with the center stand at some point and kinked/cracked the tube. I reckon I'll just buzz it clean and weld it up. Might throw in a reinforcement gusset or two while I'm at it.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I posted on the Facebook page. The other consideration here is that your center stand is now bent, probably too far forward. Easier to but on the stand but difficult to back it off the stand. Thus has happened to quite a few bikes. If you are going to weld it up, I would try and get it back in line as best you can. Tough now that it's all apart.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Yeah, it was a pain to get up on the stand, but I also didn't have a side rail to grab onto or anything.

Doesn't look too bent. I'll probably try to tweak it back, and if I can't, just weld it and forget about it.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Hey, the starter isn't dead like the seller said! I hotwired it to the battery and it spins over just fine.

My guess is a faulty solenoid or some other issue in the wiring harness. The harness needs major help.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Should be making some progress on the bike today. It's all loaded up and on it's way to a friend's shop after work for blasting.

I'm also reasonably certain that I have a blown or leaky headgasket on the right hand side. I noticed in the rear exhaust pipe on that side, there was moisture and gunk, and when I first took the radiator cap off, there was oily residue in there. The coolant was nice and clean though, no milkshake mixing, but it was low and the reservoir was dry.

I scored a TON of parts yesterday from the Goldwing parts fs Facebook page...wiring harness, brake stuff, clutch lever, instrument cluster, etc. Basically everything I need to get the bike running and looking good again. The only thing I'm missing is the battery cover. If anyone has one of those, please let me know.
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

The frame looks rusted thru. If so you should look very closely at the rest. They do rot thru and the side frame where the kick stand is often issue too.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate