Awakening a 20 year sleeper. update.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper

Post by Don R »

It did blow out a bunch of nest on the first start-up. I despise the little critters. With the new timing belts 20 years ago and the old tires I can't really crank it up yet. I did let it rev in the lower gears just a little. I'm sure miles will help with ring and valve seal. Or not. I'll probably order a new water pump just because, but maybe should check to see if it's got one already.

The PO moved to Florida and is torturing me with ride reports on his newer yellow wing.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper

Post by Don R »

OK the 78 is on the lift. I have the new timing belts on, the barely used/20 year old ones looked fine but I'll sleep better now. The wheels are off for new tires and I may pay some attention to the rotors, wheel bearings will be checked and probably replaced. I'll check the water pump to see if it's been changed, The bike's showing around 50K miles, this would be a good time for radiator hoses and a thermostat too. I'll write down the numbers shown on the tips page.
I'll change the grease in the rear drive and grease the drive splines, what am I overlooking? Front driveshaft splines?
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper Water pump Q's?

Post by Don R »

There is no leakage but lots of play in the pump, I'm assuming Genuine Honda is the way to go, my local shop said $270 for the pump and seals cash and carry, yeow. I'm looking at ebay, are the aftermarket pumps worth a look? How about the seals and o ring kits? Experience?

Edit- I ordered a genuine Honda pump, gaskets and oil seal from JT Marks, the best price I could find. 1/2 of what the mom and pop shop quoted and less than ebay.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

The aftermarket seal kit seems to be quite popular, you should be OK. OEM on the pump. And yes, $270 is a bit steep, lol! Robin sells an Allen head ss bolt kit to replace the 'pita' JIS head bolts, just an FYI. There is a thread in the for sale forum.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Very quick search on ebay turns up this. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... p&_sacat=0

If you would like a bolt set just PM me.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I got it for $125 with the gaskets and oil pump seal, all Honda. I was low bidder on a used replacement pump but failed to avoid the snipe at the end of the auction. Someone did well.

I bought a yuasa sealed battery for $150 at the local shop, I'm going there in the morning to get tires mounted.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

One of the things I would not buy used is a water pump.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I would get a rebuild kit. I have rebuilt them and not had problems with them
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I would try a used replacement pump, not a used original one. I considered the kit, but remembered the trouble I had with hydronic pump seals in hot water heat systems. I then chickened out and opted for the new Honda parts at the discount price. It shipped within hours of the order and is already part way here. I'll be more confident on a long trip. I'm going to try to tag along with a friend that goes long distances every year.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I also remembered the 30 amp dogbone fuse that failed a block from home on my Sturgis trip. I checked the 78 and the fuse link has a twist from the screw tightening. I'll put in a blade type maxi fuse replacement. The grease in the driveshaft tube looks gnarly. I'm undecided whether to remove it and service or just grease it in place. I have the numbers for the radiator hose, cap and thermostat provided in the water pump thread. I'll replace those items also.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

The cap and thermostat were perfect, the hose may be a little short. It was an obsolete number with a replacement. I hope to get tires tomorrow and the water pump Friday or sat. I neglected to do wheel bearings. I'm out of 750 kits so I need to buy a couple sets of all balls. gl and cb.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Awakening a 20 year sleeper.

Post by Don R »

I checked the rear wheel bearings, they appear greased and in good condition so I added some fresh grease and snapped the covers back on. The shop got the wrong tires (16") and it turns out the one they like doesn't come in a 17 rear to fit my bike so we ordered a front pilot to match the rear one they had in stock. It's just a year old and I got it for 1/2 price so I went that way. Cheaped out and still spent $5 big ones including the agm yuasa battery. Next week I'll have all the seals and the front tire, then I can complete the water pump job and get her back off the lift.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

All back together and ready for the fresh coolant. I have a jug of the low bad stuff pre mixed antifreeze for Japanese vehicles so I already paid too much. The oil was fresh so I kept it clean and put most of it back in after filtering it through a coffee filter. My lift will be empty for the first time in a while, looks like time to re-comission another cb750. My brothers one owner 74 or a 75 from the collection I lucked into.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

I rolled it off the lift and fired it up, I still need to check valve, points and timing lash and oil level again. She's a bit smokey but it sat since fall. I'm hoping it clears up with some highway miles and another oil change.
I was putting the tool tray back in and noticed I'd allowed the fuse block to fall behind the air filter box. I pulled the air filter box bolts and fudged it back up where it goes. I see I need a rubber mount for it and a new one for the battery wouldn't hurt either.
The brace between the top front motor mounts was hanging on the left end and that mount bolt had a nut on it. When I removed the crash bar on the right side the bar dropped free and I pulled it out. Now it's bolted on both ends like it should be.
I had a lawn tractor that smoked badly and I put mobil 1 in it. The smoking cleared up and it ran good until I wore out the chassis. I'll take a chance on the clutch and try it if it doesn't clear up with use.
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

The new Motion Pro tach cable is on, I rode the 750 k1 a few miles today and got home in time to install the new seal and cable. Completing the tune-up next. My brother had a clear timing plug once but we can't find it. I didn't think and topped off the oil before checking timing.